WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Nordictrack 2950 treadmill (to supplement my running) and it comes with a Polar bluetooth chest strap.

Since my Ambit2 uses Ant+, it won't work with this treadmill. I don't want to wear two belts, and I'm certainly not going to buy a Polar watch, but I would like to see my HR displayed on the console and not have to monitor it on my wrist (not really a big deal though).

Would the Ambit3 chest strap be compatible, since they both use bluetooth? If so, I don't how I would pair it on the treadmill. Anyway, it would motivate me to upgrade my watch. Thanks.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Suunto says that if it's BT LE it works with Ambit 3. In some occasions, some people discovered that not all BT LE sensors worked ok with Ambit 3. Your best bet would be to get an answer from someone who tried it or go to DCRainmaker's website and read his review. In the end he has some table with compatibility between BT PODs and Ambit 3.

LE: I checked myself DCRainmaker's site and Polar H7 seems to works ok with Ambit 3.

From Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I recently purchased a Nordictrack 2950 treadmill (to supplement my running) and it comes with a Polar bluetooth chest strap.

Since my Ambit2 uses Ant+, it won't work with this treadmill. I don't want to wear two belts, and I'm certainly not going to buy a Polar watch, but I would like to see my HR displayed on the console and not have to monitor it on my wrist (not really a big deal though).

Would the Ambit3 chest strap be compatible, since they both use bluetooth? If so, I don't how I would pair it on the treadmill. Anyway, it would motivate me to upgrade my watch. Thanks.
I think you can only pair to ONE device at a time with the BT strap. For example, I cannot have my iPhone and Ambit3 pick up the HR signal from the strap, it is either or. However, you might be able to get away with the strap recording the activity while you "see" it on the treadmill. The strap can record ~2h of activity and sync to the Ambit or iPhone later.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you can only pair to ONE device at a time with the BT strap. For example, I cannot have my iPhone and Ambit3 pick up the HR signal from the strap, it is either or. However, you might be able to get away with the strap recording the activity while you "see" it on the treadmill. The strap can record ~2h of activity and sync to the Ambit or iPhone later.
Oh I see. Well then that's not going to work because the whole point was to have both my Ambit and console show my HR (and to use Movescount and iFit to keep track of my workouts). So I'll either have to wear two belts (unlikely), or I'll just live with no HR data on the treadmill console. Normally on gym treadmills they just sniff out my dual comfort belt (the analog portion), so too bad they had to make it more complicated on this unit (which I knew beforehand but the other features more than make up for it).

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Oh I see. Well then that's not going to work because the whole point was to have both my Ambit and console show my HR (and to use Movescount and iFit to keep track of my workouts). So I'll either have to wear two belts (unlikely), or I'll just live with no HR data on the treadmill console. Normally on gym treadmills they just sniff out my dual comfort belt (the analog portion), so too bad they had to make it more complicated on this unit (which I knew beforehand but the other features more than make up for it).
Perhaps the Polar belt will transmit to both? I do not know, a Mio might as well. You may want to ask on the DCRainmaker forum, lots of informed folks there>

·
Registered
241 Posts
Form the link you provided: " You see the H7 is a hybrid heart rate sensor, so although it supports low power Bluetooth 4.0 to make it compatible with all those mobile devices, it also supports Polar’s 5kHz WearLink standard, making it compatible with a plethora of Polar fitness computers as well as most gym equipment."

But you better digg some more before deciding.

From Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
What about using a Viiiiva HR monitor from 4iiii? I use it to provide heart rate to my Ambit 2S using Ant+ and simultaneously send heart rate to an app on my iPhone use Bluetooth. Of course I don't know if the Norditrack is compatible.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
That Viiiiva HR strap might work. But since my treadmill doesn't have an option to pair in the menu, will it do it automatically? (assuming it's compatible). My Nordictrack is Bluetooth Smart compatible, and according to Rainmaker's review of the Viiiiva (from July 2013), it should work.

3) It doesn’t work with Polar devices: Polar has their own proprietary W.I.N.D. protocol for use on the majority of their modern devices, and this won’t work with that (nor the devices that use the analog or digital non-WIND straps). However, in the event Polar develops a Bluetooth Smart capable device (which they say they are going to do), then it would work just fine with that. More on that later.

In any case if I buy it from Amazon I can always return it if it doesn't work (although I might end up keeping it anyway if it's comfortable and chalk it up to spending a little more for a belt for experimentation's sake and besides it may come in handy later for other BT stuff I may own).

·
Registered
156 Posts
i have an ambit2s, and i have just bought an scosche rhythm +. it is optical, and has both ANT+ and BTLE. i have been able to use it with my suunto and with my windows phone 8.1 (adidas micoach app), although i have not checked both at the same time. i am pretty sure i have read somewhere, that it can hold two simultaneous connections (one ANT and one BTLE).
Rainmaker has reviewed it
Scosche RHYTHM+ Dual ANT+/Bluetooth Smart Optical HR Band In-Depth Review | DC Rainmaker

For the suunto it is important that you get an unit with at least fw version 2.3, although version 2.4 is better (the latest one). fw cannot be updated by customer as of now (although according them, they are working on an iphone app which would do the trick).

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to order the Viiiiva HR belt and hope for the best. If it doesn't work then I'm sure it will come in handy since I can still use my Android phone to see my HR on the treadmill without looking at my wrist. But I'm optimistic it will work since the Nordictrack is Bluetooth Smart capable and should pair automatically. Will be nice to have as well if I buy an Ambit3 or Ambit4 (more likely) that has Bluetooth and I can pair Ant+ accessories with it (like my foot pod or even my T6C if I want to wear two watches).

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm also interested in buying a NordicTrack, but I'm looking at a crosstrainer (elliptical) machine, model E9.5: http://www.nordictrack.co.uk/ellipticals/club-series/nordictrack-e95-elliptical.html or E9.2: http://www.nordictrack.co.uk/ellipticals/classic-series/nordictrack-e92-elliptical.html

E9.5 is compatible with BT LE heart rate straps (it has a Polar H7 optional add on) and E9.2 comes with an old style T34 Polar HR strap. Giving BT LE present limitations (not allowing a POD to connect with more than 1 master at a time) I would choose to pair my Suunto Bluetooth HR strap with my Ambit 3. I trust Suunto's algorithms for Training Effect, Calories, etc more that NordicTrack's.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Yeah I put way more stock in Training Effect, Recovery time and the other metrics with Movescount than I would with iFit on Nordictrack. I also use FirstBeat to get some coaching guidance.

But if Nordictrack can measure my HR directly than at least it will give me some semblance of accuracy on (for example) calories burned.

I wanted the Nordictrack because it has a lot of features. What's really cool is that I can have virtual runs or hikes by using street view Google maps that I can watch on a 10" display while I run. It's not video, and is just still photos updating every few seconds or so (depending on your speed, similar to the tracking intervals on the Ambit2), but it will automatically adjust the incline/decline on the treadmill depending on where you are on the map. You can also monitor the course in overhead sat or map mode.

It almost makes me wish I bought in incline treadmill (that goes from 40 degrees to minus 6 degrees), since it would make great hiking practice and there are a lot of map course which go up to 40 degrees. But I didn't because I needed to buy one that will fold up, and I want to use it mainly for running.

It's going to be very useful when it's too hot, dark, cold or raining outside, and for recovery runs. Or when I have any soreness in my knees (since the treadmill has runner's flex it's much easier on the joints). Also it's much, much easier to control my HR on a treadmill, and I need to have a lot more mileage in the lower HR zones, which will be especially useful for long hikes later on.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
What about using a Viiiiva HR monitor from 4iiii? I use it to provide heart rate to my Ambit 2S using Ant+ and simultaneously send heart rate to an app on my iPhone use Bluetooth. Of course I don't know if the Norditrack is compatible.
I got the Viiiiva today and yes it does work with both my Nordictrack and my Ambit2. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Even more important for me is that I know it will also work with the Ambit3 (which I ordered) and my Garmin handheld GPS (Ant+) which I use on my hikes.

Do you know if the chest strap included with Ambit3 (or any BT strap such as the Viiiiva) will pair with both the Ambit3 and my Nordictrack? I believe the limitation of Bluetooth is that it will only pair to one device at a time?
If that's the case then I'll just continue to use the Ambit2 on my treadmill workouts.

·
Registered
241 Posts
It pairs with multiple devices, it only transmits to one device at a time. So it won't work simultaneously with Ambit 3 and NordicTrack.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
It pairs with multiple devices, it only transmits to one device at a time. So it won't work simultaneously with Ambit 3 and NordicTrack.

Looks as though the 2 will be my official indoor watch and the 3 will be for outdoors. Both will get heavy use. :)

Question regarding the internal memory. Both the Viiiiva and the strap that comes with Ambit 3 automatically record r-r data (when it gets full I guess it just overwrites). If your device temporarily wanders out of range (which sometimes happens when I set my pack down and take a bathroom break, or just wander off for a few minutes, since on hikes I wear the Ambit on my chest strap for better accuracy) will both of these straps automatically fill in transmission gaps to the internal memory on the devices they are transmitting to, when you get back in range? If so, then that would be awesome. I hate data gaps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts