WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find anything regarding what gps chip is used in the Ambit3 Peak Nepal. The Suunto website says the Ambit3 Peak Black has SIRFstar V but I can't find any information regarding the lesser priced Nepal edition. I searching I found one post on the Nepal saying it did NOT have the SIRFstar V and used the older version IV.

Would anyone on this forum know which is actually used? I tried calling Suunto US but from Alaska all I get is the number has been discontinued. I tried email Suunto but haven't heard back.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

SC

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I've pretty much answered my own question. I have the original Ambit and this afternoon UPS dropped off a new Ambit3 Peak Nepal. After charging, syncing with satellite update I went outside and allowed it to lock on to the gps system. After that I compared my original Ambit to the new Nepal inside the house and under various conditions outside and there is absolutely no difference in sensitivity or lock speed. In fact the original Ambit beats it on hot restarts every time.

I didn't have the funds for a new Ultra and figured the Nepal which is on sale at the Suunto website might make a nice update, but I'm going to box this up and return it. Think I may try to regular Ambit3 Peak and see how that one performs. Nepal is nice and light and there is a lot to like. Syncs and holds lock very well with IOS Movescount.

SC

·
Registered
268 Posts
I think I've pretty much answered my own question. I have the original Ambit and this afternoon UPS dropped off a new Ambit3 Peak Nepal. After charging, syncing with satellite update I went outside and allowed it to lock on to the gps system. After that I compared my original Ambit to the new Nepal inside the house and under various conditions outside and there is absolutely no difference in sensitivity or lock speed. In fact the original Ambit beats it on hot restarts every time.

I didn't have the funds for a new Ultra and figured the Nepal which is on sale at the Suunto website might make a nice update, but I'm going to box this up and return it. Think I may try to regular Ambit3 Peak and see how that one performs. Nepal is nice and light and there is a lot to like. Syncs and holds lock very well with IOS Movescount.

SC
All the ambit3 ones got the same GPS chip and the same GPS performance (well, except the Vertical which is poorly)

deporteporvida.com

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much rdm01. I'm sure you're correct. I guess I was just hoping that there had been an improvement in gps reception and sensitivity between the first generation Ambit and the Nepal. I'm going to return this one and order the Ambit3 Peak Black. Will report back if there is any difference.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Thank you very much rdm01. I'm sure you're correct. I guess I was just hoping that there had been an improvement in gps reception and sensitivity between the first generation Ambit and the Nepal. I'm going to return this one and order the Ambit3 Peak Black. Will report back if there is any difference.

Thanks again!
Thanks to you for sharing your thoughts/experience!!

I owned an Ambit2 and three Ambit3 (Peak, Sport and Vertical). At the beginning my thoughts were Ambit2 and Ambit3 (except Vertical which got poor GPS accuracy in challenging zones) have the same amazing GPS accuracy but after repeating the same routes looks to me Ambit3 is a little bit better.

In addition, I can't find any difference in the fast GPS fix between them but I never owned an Ambit so no way to test it.

Anyway enjoy your future purchase ;-)

deporteporvida.com

·
Registered
170 Posts
I believe Ambit3 Peak Nepal may be the best GPS watch one can get at the moment, at least it most l ikey is for my use. It is A3Peak with superb gps accuracy/sensitivity and barometer and all, but it is slightly more lightweight than rest of the peak models. Never seen or tried one, only checked specs some time ago. Peak is pretty heavy beast, some saved grams would not do bad at all.

Comparing gps fix times between models does not tell much about gps sensitivity or is at least missleading. It is up to manufacturer what kind of requirement they use there to make it beep "GPS is ready". Some may think locking to 4 satellites is enough, some require more, some in addition require estimated horisontal accuracy getting good enough, like 15 meters. If Ambit 1 hot starts faster than ambit3 it surely has something to do with these requirements and not gps chip or antenna being more sensitive.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Thanks to you for sharing your thoughts/experience!!

I owned an Ambit2 and three Ambit3 (Peak, Sport and Vertical). At the beginning my thoughts were Ambit2 and Ambit3 (except Vertical which got poor GPS accuracy in challenging zones) have the same amazing GPS accuracy but after repeating the same routes looks to me Ambit3 is a little bit better.

In addition, I can't find any difference in the fast GPS fix between them but I never owned an Ambit so no way to test it.
The A3 GPS tracks will look better than the A2 because the A3 algorithm records more trackpoints (usually every second for running/biking and every 2-3 seconds for walking). The Ambit1 also records every second. However the A2 does not unless your moving really fast. So you'll see the difference around sharp curves especially.

And yes all the A1-A3 watches use the same chip and will have the same accuracy (the only difference is the number of trackpoints saved to the memory).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for contributing! I was out today with the Nepal and I have to say it did not disappoint. Button feel is great, weight reduction is quite noticeable as it really disappears on your wrist. Coming from the original Ambit I am so pleased with Fusedalti!!! If you live in a vertical world, that one feature is worth the upgrade. Today I covered 7.75 miles with 1600' climbing and ascent - descent values differed by only 5'.

A lot to like here... may need to rethink my plan!

Again, thank you all. Rdm01, I really enjoyed your website and although I'm embarrassed to say I don't speak the language, Google translate did a good job and I quickly saw several posts that sounded very interesting... will return!

Cheers from SE Alaska

·
Registered
268 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just wanted to add that I received an email today from Suunto technical support stating that the Ambit3 Peak Nepal does in fact use the SIRFstar V chip. Of course all the posters after my original post knew this but I also have it officially from Suunto.

I've really been enjoying the Nepal and trust it will give me years of good service.... or until an Ambit IV is released having both gps + BeiDou.

Cheers!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.