WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once in a while, I find something that appeals to me as a story. When I find such a thing for less than $3K, I like it even better.

Roland Paige. Anybody heard of them/him? Bought one? Waltham or Elgin? Got an old one hanging around somewhere? Maybe you like a lot about vintage looks aside from having to restore them. Problem solved. If you happen to have a soft spot for the old names in American watchmaking, check this out, and be sure to peek at the vintage movement page. I'm liking what I see so far.

Wristwatches, Pocket Watches and Wrocket Watches by Richard Paige
Rpaige Wrocket Watch By Richard Paige Uses Vintage American Movements, Review - Page 2 of 2 | aBlogtoWatch

All the best.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Might want to check out some vintage Hamiltons.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I am quite worried about the watch's accuracy and durability.
While I find the concept rather interesting, I have such watches are rather fragile as pocket watch movements were never meant to be moved so vigorously.
( I might be wrong, I am a beginner at this watch business )

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I am quite worried about the watch's accuracy and durability.
While I find the concept rather interesting, I have such watches are rather fragile as pocket watch movements were never meant to be moved so vigorously.
( I might be wrong, I am a beginner at this watch business )
You are right in theory as these watches do not have anti-shock system for the balance shaft. However, many of these movements are robust enough for normal use (not sport activities).

·
Registered
812 Posts
One of few products that you never want to buy America is watch, as US does nothing better than outsourcing.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,053 Posts
Some Bulova watches made up through the mid 1960's used good quality 30 jewel american made movements with shock resistant jewel mounts. There are a couple of sellers on Ebay who offer recased american watch movements as I recall. Good to see those old attractive movements being used once again.

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
One of few products that you never want to buy America is watch, as US does nothing better than outsourcing.
Sheer foolishness. American pocket watches set the standard for the whole industry for at least 75 years. I have a pocket watch that is 115 years old that runs within a few seconds a day, and it was only a mid-grade model. There were railroad-grade and premium models that easily beat any modern COSC-certified watch. And they made later wristwatches that also met railroad requirements. They did not fall behind until the industry moved to automatic movements in the late 50's, and that's when many of them faded away.

Of course, most mid-priced pocket watches that were adjusted to positions were adjusted to two positions plus temperature and isochronism. Pocket watches generally lived in two positions: Crown up in the vertical plane when being worn, and dial up on the dresser at night.

Anti-shock is another issue altogether, when repurposing old movements. Broken balance staffs were a common problem before shock-protection systems were in wide use; now they are a rare problem. Pocket watches had large, heavy balances and that will not make the problem any better.

RGM is one example of a watch company that does not out-source. They make watches with vintage pocket-watch movements, just like the OP is posting, and they also make movements (modeled on vintage American designs) in their own workshops. They also make cases, dials, and so on. Shinola, Kobold, and Towson use Swiss movements, which should make them no worse than the Swiss watches of similar quality that use those movements. Sometimes they are priced competitively for what they are, and sometimes they are not, but the market will sort that out eventually.

Rick "who thinks this statement has the same smell as those who insist Asian watches are junk" Denney

·
Moderator at Large
53,131 Posts
Different time periods pieced together. The hands on the second watch just look awful. Lettering way too large.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Sheer foolishness. American pocket watches set the standard for the whole industry for at least 75 years. I have a pocket watch that is 115 years old that runs within a few seconds a day, and it was only a mid-grade model. There were railroad-grade and premium models that easily beat any modern COSC-certified watch. And they made later wristwatches that also met railroad requirements. They did not fall behind until the industry moved to automatic movements in the late 50's, and that's when many of them faded away.

Of course, most mid-priced pocket watches that were adjusted to positions were adjusted to two positions plus temperature and isochronism. Pocket watches generally lived in two positions: Crown up in the vertical plane when being worn, and dial up on the dresser at night.

Anti-shock is another issue altogether, when repurposing old movements. Broken balance staffs were a common problem before shock-protection systems were in wide use; now they are a rare problem. Pocket watches had large, heavy balances and that will not make the problem any better.

RGM is one example of a watch company that does not out-source. They make watches with vintage pocket-watch movements, just like the OP is posting, and they also make movements (modeled on vintage American designs) in their own workshops. They also make cases, dials, and so on. Shinola, Kobold, and Towson use Swiss movements, which should make them no worse than the Swiss watches of similar quality that use those movements. Sometimes they are priced competitively for what they are, and sometimes they are not, but the market will sort that out eventually.

Rick "who thinks this statement has the same smell as those who insist Asian watches are junk" Denney
sry for striking ur nerve, ur favor for pocket watch is well appriciated, wish u all the best with us watches.

·
Moderator Public Forum
2,876 Posts
As an American, the exact watch I want to buy is an American made watch. If I am smart, my next purchase will be a Made in the USA RGM 801A. At this moment in time I can't personally think of a better watch for me.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
classic watchmaking

Many of my European rhabilleur friends continually express amazement at the lack of attention that certain others pay to bridge finish, wheel polish and screw reconditioning. Not only is this a question of pride and aesthetics but corrosion protection in many instances. The highly polished finish is less susceptible to oxidation (due to the lower number of available fissures for initiation in the smoother geometry of the surface). Replenishment of the wash or plate on the coated part protects the more electrochemically active covered materials. Deep, well squared screw slots accept the torque necessary to loosen and tighten fasteners to correct levels. I see a certain logic to their position and it does evidence the ability of the craftsman.

p i t h y

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
Re: classic watchmaking

Many of my European rhabilleur friends continually express amazement at the lack of attention that certain others pay to bridge finish, wheel polish and screw reconditioning. Not only is this a question of pride and aesthetics but corrosion protection in many instances. The highly polished finish is less susceptible to oxidation (due to the lower number of available cleaves for initiation in the smoother geometry of the surface). Replenishment of the wash or plate on the coated part protects the more electrochemically active covered materials. Deep, well squared screw slots accept the torque necessary to loosen and tighten fasteners to correct levels. I see a certain logic to their position and it does evidence the ability of the craftsman.

p i t h y
Yes. But we must distinguish between watches that use repurposed old movements and watches that use renewed old movements.

The movement pictured in the OP is clearly in the first category.

The Model 222 from RGM, pictured below, uses an old movement that has been completely renewed. It costs about twice as much as the watch in the OP.

Watches in RGM's American-Made line that use their current manufacture-made movements have modern features, and is priced about double the 222, like this:

I'm seeing some Swiss influence in the bridge design on this one. But it is entirely made in Lancaster, PA.

Rick "who doesn't mind signs of age and prior servicing, as long as it is advertised as such and priced accordingly, which is a whole other thing" Denney

·
Registered
9,498 Posts

Yes. But we must distinguish between watches that use repurposed old movements and watches that use renewed old movements.The movement pictured in the OP is clearly in the first category.The Model 222 from RGM, pictured below, uses an old movement that has been completely renewed. It costs about twice as much as the watch in the OP.Watches in RGM's American-Made line that use their current manufacture-made movements have modern features, and is priced about double the 222, like this: . . I'm seeing some Swiss influence in the bridge design on this one. But it is entirely made in Lancaster, PA.Rick "who doesn't mind signs of age and prior servicing, as long as it is advertised as such and priced accordingly, which is a whole other thing" Denney

Price is the essence of the matter and has always been used as an excuse by the less than diligent workman. What do you think it costs to polish a screw head? Or a crown wheel bushing?

-------------

And we don't have to distinguish between repaired, repurposed and remanufactured watch movements. A fully repaired watch will often have the finish of the movement completely restored - this is however a higher standard of repair than many are acquainted with.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts

Price is the essence of the matter and has always been used as an excuse by the less than diligent workman. What do you think it costs to polish a screw head? Or a crown wheel bushing?
A less than diligent workmen demands a smaller salary than a more than diligent workman...

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts

But I have old watches and I want to see evidence of the lives they have led. That's part of their appeal. I might well buy a watch even with those signs of age and history that you pointed out, as a demonstration of that age and history. I really doubt that at this point it will undermine the usefulness of the watch. My old pocket watches (see sig) have those signs of age and history, but they run very well indeed.

Some people, when they service a watch, try to make it look new again. I respect that and usually want that. But not always.

Rick "choice is good, with full disclosure" Denney

Reactions: tony20009

·
Registered
9,498 Posts

But I have old watches and I want to see evidence of the lives they have led. That's part of their appeal. I might well buy a watch even with those signs of age and history that you pointed out, as a demonstration of that age and history. I really doubt that at this point it will undermine the usefulness of the watch. My old pocket watches (see sig) have those signs of age and history, but they run very well indeed. Some people, when they service a watch, try to make it look new again. I respect that and usually want that. But not always. Rick "choice is good, with full disclosure" Denney
Concur. I never passed on an old watch because of some "character". Similarly, I never let anyone pass off amateurism as professionalism. The Elgin and Waltham bridges are exceeding difficult to sypathetically restore. The screw heads are easy to restore or replace as are the rachet/crown wheel bushings.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts

Tourby (A German company...friendly folks too!) does some nice stuff with re-cased Hamilton movements in their American Made collection:

·
Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator
2,429 Posts

-------------

And we don't have to distinguish between repaired, repurposed and remanufactured watch movements. A fully repaired watch will often have the finish of the movement completely restored - this is however a higher standard of repair than many are acquainted with.
And, for the $2600 this company is charging for a recased watch, I'd expect some basic attention to detail like polishing and/or rebluing screw heads, as well as reblackening washed out movement lettering. I do these things when I do a $50 service on a watch!

Reactions: Rdenney

·
Registered
14,860 Posts
The history of Hamilton alone, before becoming a Swatch Group brand, makes a liar out of you.

But then again, clearly your post was a baiting and trolling one.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts