WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Some quick pics of my newly arrived Red Sea.Compared to the Seaman this is a significantly larger and heavier watch.Next to a classic Amphibian it looks and feels like a battleship.The black ring around the bezel is definitely PVD coated steel,just like the crown.
Bracelet is made with solid links like the one on my Seaman but the design is different and it is wider (22mm vs 20mm).Thick and with a size of 44mm this is clearly the largest watch i can comfortably wear (i have a 17cm wrist)
The most distinct hallmark of the Red Sea is the massive rectangular crown guards.Just like the Seaman,the only flaw i can see is that the crown is not as easy to use as the one on the classic Amphibians.On the Seaman b/c the crown is smaller.On the Red Sea the size of the crown is the same as on the Amphibians but, b/c of the big guards,a little harder to use.
However the large guards do give a chunky-macho style to the watch,so is like sacrificing some comfort for extra style!
That Red Sea is one beautiful watch! VERY NICE!! :-!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Thanks!A very nice and underrated diver watch. Absolutely worth every penny.I bought it from Evgeny at Smirs, where I have bought most of my Vostoks. Evgeny is an honest guy and gives good discounts esp when you are a returning customer.
Mecano what a watch!!! it does look amazing and indestructible, it has so many details, congratulations!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
you are very blessed just by the fact you don't pay extra taxes... I do :( ... off course you are wearing this beauty non-stop... one of my goals is to get either the Red Sea or a Reef in blue... and being very optimistic in black ... enjoy your beautiful new watch in good health :)

·
Registered
12,125 Posts
Now that is a mighty looking watch. Almost dwarfs the Seaman, and yet doesn't look huge on your wrist.
Bet it weighs more than 200g 'ish.
I'm still undecided about the blue dial, and the size has held me back as well, but now....hhhmmm
Many congrats. mate. Cheers

·
Registered
127 Posts
Now that is a mighty looking watch. Almost dwarfs the Seaman, and yet doesn't look huge on your wrist.
I'm still undecided about the blue dial, and the size has held me back as well, but now....hhhmmm
I'm eagerly waiting for delivery of my Red Sea (from Meranom), blue dial. My Amphibia Ministry is probably my best watch up to now (excluding for obvious reasons my Speedmaster Pro ) and without doubt the best automatic I ever had. My Red Sea is now held hostage by customs in Malpensa, awaiting for invoices and payment receipts (sent today by telefax) :-x. But in these pictures the watch sure is a stunner. :-!

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks! For those who think Red Sea may be too large for their arm there are a couple of simple things to consider.
First-choose a Red Sea with dark colored dial blue or even better black.This will absorb light and give the impression of “smaller”
Generally speaking if you think a watch may be big for you ,choose it with a dark colored dial.If you think it may be small choose it with a light colored dial.
Second- part of the mass of the Red Sea is due to the bracelet.You can replace it with a more slender strap e.g. a silicone Hirsch diver band.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Hello Mecano,

My congratulations for those two beautiful watches. What a wonders, I was a "jaw dropping", until now!

I "fell in love" in such a manner, by the Russians watches that today, I just order my first Russian watch, a Vostok Amphibia Ministry. I bought it from smirs.com, do you by any chance, know if this website is reliable?

At this time began my anguish, waiting anxiously for the arrival of the same.:-d

Kindest regards,
LM

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Luisao i have ordered from Evgeny at Smirs 6 times.Never had a problem.He is an honest guy and has good prices.However if you can’t write in Russian but only in English it may take some time to get a reply.
And don’t bother ordering from the shop.Most of the watches listed there are out of stock.Email Evgeny with the watches you want (if they are in stock or not.)and ask for a good price.Then you paypal him the $$ and that’s it.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I replaced the bracelet with a PU diver strap.Still hefty but a bit lighter and looks more slender.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Luisao i have ordered from Evgeny at Smirs 6 times.Never had a problem.He is an honest guy and has good prices.However if you can’t write in Russian but only in English it may take some time to get a reply.
And don’t bother ordering from the shop.Most of the watches listed there are out of stock.Email Evgeny with the watches you want (if they are in stock or not.)and ask for a good price.Then you paypal him the $$ and that’s it.
Hello Mecano,
Mr. Evgeny already contacted me, as the watch that I ordered is sold out for now, and it will take about two weeks, to get a new supply of that model. Then he sent me a list of Amphibia models, that he has available for immediate shipment, so I can choose a replacement.

I have not choose one yet.

Regards,
LM

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Hi Mecano,

Once again congratulations on the beautiful watches presented​​, I really like these models! In my previous post, I forgot to say thank you, for concerning the way in which I should buy in smirs.com, or to Mr. Evgeny.

I already chose a watch and made ​​the request to Mr Evgeny, last Saturday the 5th. I chose a non "Scuba Dude" model, because these are all sold out at the moment!
So far he has not replied to me, yet. So, I followed your advice and wrote him an email in Russian (using Google translator, of course), maybe he will respond faster this time

This is the model that I now ordered, and I look forward to receive:

This was not my first choice, but I like it very much, such as other models of Vostok. The next one it will be for sure, a "Scuba Dude"!

Kindest regards,
LM

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well I received the Red Sea watch around Friday. 62 Eurs VAT/customs (along with a Ministry Scuba Dude, so only around 3/4 of the sum is due to the Red Sea I suppose- I don't know if customs duties are progressive, but VAT is proportional for sure).
Only one word can describe this watch: it's massive. No compromises. My brother's (true) titanium Seamaster looks light and thin in comparison. The bracelet is solid, with solid links, brushed stainless steel outside, highly polished laterally, exactly like the watch's case, the finish of the links is very very similar to that of the case. The side of the case appears to be imposing and everything gives not an impression as solid steel, it is solid steel. It's also extremely heavy, forget this watch if you are a thin plastic watch type. The clasp is (amazingly) secured by two different locking mechanism, and the logo on the dial is engraved also on the clasp. Micro adjustments are possible thanks to usuall row of three small retaining holes on the clasp's side for the last link of the bracelet. The glass appears to be even more massive than the case!! Gently knocking on the glass surface with the back of your finger no 'empty' noise at all, like the movement could be a single solid piece of lead fused inside. Even the crown, once unscrewed, is not prone to wobbling like your usual Amphibia does; it's firmly maintained by the pronged guards on an almost straight position. Large and black, easily operated to change hour , but forget about winding the watch by the crown as the safety prongs on the case are difficult to negotiate (it's an automatic anyway) for a long operation.The bezel is perfect: strong, clear, large, unidirectional, easy to grab, nice udible 'clicks' when rotating. Maybe a tad too wide, aesthetically, if compared to the dial's diameter. Anyway it's all what classic ampibia's bezel should have always been. Legibility, with the dark blue dial and large white hands, is absolute. Numbers and indexes are large and thick and lume is good in my opinion. Seconds hand is a very nice orange, as the Amfibia logo on the dial. The dial's background is dark and deep, a color more saturated than any sea at the surface, almost black, with beautiful violet and cobalt specks. You need full sunlight to tell the dial is blue. The case is large and heavy, and to my surprise appears to be a two-piece design instead of the mandatory (for Vostok) three pieces. Strange but true, this design appears to rely only on the sheer power of its abundant metal thickness against its seals to maintain water outside, so presumably waterproofing is very dependent on the age and conditions of the delicate seals, as it is true for all western watches. Glass is mineral crystal, appears to be rock solid. Screwdown caseback is nicely engraved.
Mechanism is automatic caliber 2416b with 31 jewels as usual, winding it with small effort is a breeze, if only my Swatch Automatic Crono could be that easy to rewind... It's not noisy at all, even for a Vostok. I couldn't take any decent picture for lack of sunlight when awoke , I'll see if posting pictures is possible in a few days.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Well I received the Red Sea watch around Friday. 62 Eurs VAT/customs (along with a Ministry Scuba Dude, so only around 3/4 of the sum is due to the Red Sea I suppose- I don't know if customs duties are progressive, but VAT is proportional for sure).
Only one word can describe this watch: it's massive. No compromises. My brother's (true) titanium Seamaster looks light and thin in comparison. The bracelet is solid, with solid links, brushed stainless steel outside, highly polished laterally, exactly like the watch's case, the finish of the links is very very similar to that of the case. The side of the case appears to be imposing and everything gives not an impression as solid steel, it is solid steel. It's also extremely heavy, forget this watch if you are a thin plastic watch type. The clasp is (amazingly) secured by two different locking mechanism, and the logo on the dial is engraved also on the clasp. Micro adjustments are possible thanks to usuall row of three small retaining holes on the clasp's side for the last link of the bracelet. The glass appears to be even more massive than the case!! Gently knocking on the glass surface with the back of your finger no 'empty' noise at all, like the movement could be a single solid piece of lead fused inside. Even the crown, once unscrewed, is not prone to wobbling like your usual Amphibia does; it's firmly maintained by the pronged guards on an almost straight position. Large and black, easily operated to change hour , but forget about winding the watch by the crown as the safety prongs on the case are difficult to negotiate (it's an automatic anyway) for a long operation.The bezel is perfect: strong, clear, large, unidirectional, easy to grab, nice udible 'clicks' when rotating. Maybe a tad too wide, aesthetically, if compared to the dial's diameter. Anyway it's all what classic ampibia's bezel should have always been. Legibility, with the dark blue dial and large white hands, is absolute. Numbers and indexes are large and thick and lume is good in my opinion. Seconds hand is a very nice orange, as the Amfibia logo on the dial. The dial's background is dark and deep, a color more saturated than any sea at the surface, almost black, with beautiful violet and cobalt specks. You need full sunlight to tell the dial is blue. The case is large and heavy, and to my surprise appears to be a two-piece design instead of the mandatory (for Vostok) three pieces. Strange but true, this design appears to rely only on the sheer power of its abundant metal thickness against its seals to maintain water outside, so presumably waterproofing is very dependent on the age and conditions of the delicate seals, as it is true for all western watches. Glass is mineral crystal, appears to be rock solid. Screwdown caseback is nicely engraved.
Mechanism is automatic caliber 2416b with 31 jewels as usual, winding it with small effort is a breeze, if only my Swatch Automatic Crono could be that easy to rewind... It's not noisy at all, even for a Vostok. I couldn't take any decent picture for lack of sunlight when awoke , I'll see if posting pictures is possible in a few days.
Thanks Duna, Your review was very detailed and I, now more than ever, will order a Vostok Amphibia Ministry.

This is exactly the kind of watch that I like, and appreciate.

With regards,
LM

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks Luisão for your appreciation, please maintain my review is focused to the Red Sea (big steel monster, heavy solid bracelets, mineral glass etc) as opposed to the more common ministry Amphibia (light folded metal bracelet, plastic glass, no guard for the crown etc) which is by itself a headmaster of rational design (I have 2 of them and I use them often) but are not as massive (or heavy) like the cousin Red Sea.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts