WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Updated my mini-review with come pictures, but not as good as other's. I'll learn how to use the g-10 camera macro function, until then the old Nikon must be enough, sorry guys.

Only one word can describe this watch: it's massive. No compromises here DSCN5152.JPG as you can see.

The bracelet is solid, with solid links, DSCN5172.JPG brushed stainless steel outside, highly polished laterally DSCN5153.JPG

DSCN5160.JPG

exactly like the watch's case, the finish of the links is very very similar to that of the case. DSCN5161.JPG The side of the case appears to be imposing and everything gives not an impression as solid steel, it is solid steel. It's also extremely heavy, forget this watch if you are a thin plastic watch type. The clasp is (amazingly) secured by two different locking mechanism, and the logo on the dial DSCN5157.JPG is engraved also on the clasp. DSCN5171.JPG

Micro adjustments are possible thanks to usuall row of three small retaining holes on the clasp's side for the last link of the bracelet. The glass appears to be even more massive than the case!! Gently knocking on the glass surface with the back of your finger no 'empty' noise at all, like the movement could be a single solid piece of lead fused inside. Even the crown, once unscrewed, is not prone to wobbling like your usual Amphibia does; it's firmly maintained by the pronged guards on an almost straight position.

DSCN5159.JPG Large and black, easily operated to change hour , but forget about winding the watch by the crown as the safety prongs on the case are difficult to negotiate (it's an automatic anyway) for a long operation.The bezel is perfect: strong, clear, large, unidirectional, easy to grab, nice udible 'clicks' when rotating. DSCN5156.JPG

Maybe a tad too wide, aesthetically, if compared to the dial's diameter. Anyway it's all what classic ampibia's bezel should have always been. Legibility, with the dark blue dial and large white hands, is absolute. Numbers and indexes are large and thick and lume is good in my opinion.

Seconds hand is a very nice orange, as the Amfibia logo on the dial DSCN5158.JPG . The dial's background is dark and deep, a color more saturated than any sea at the surface, almost black, with beautiful violet and cobalt specks. You need full sunlight to tell the dial is blue. DSCN5155.JPG

The case is large and heavy, and to my surprise appears to be a two-piece design DSCN5163.JPG instead of the mandatory (for Vostok) three pieces. Strange but true, this design appears to rely only on the sheer power of its abundant metal thickness against its seals to maintain water outside, so presumably waterproofing is very dependent on the age and conditions of the delicate seals, as it is true for all western watches. Glass is mineral crystal, appears to be rock solid. Screwdown caseback is nicely engraved. DSCN5164.JPG

Mechanism is automatic caliber 2416b with 31 jewels as usual, winding it with small effort is a breeze, if only my Swatch Automatic Crono could be that easy to rewind... It's not noisy at all, even for a Vostok.
I took some pictures now that I had some time in daylight, hopefully they'll be readable. Enjoy your amfibia/amphibia guys, they are great watches.

·
Registered
127 Posts
just noticed, looking at pictures there, there is an Amfibia logo engraved on the crown also. DSCN5165.JPG

Niceties are aboundant on these watches, like screwed end links , always nice to see. DSCN5167.JPG

Also the logo on the clasp is well made and pleasant to see. DSCN5171.JPG

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
wow duna! stunning! the blue tone is amazing... somewhat more expressive than the black dial that's for sure...

Updated my mini-review with come pictures, but not as good as other's. I'll learn how to use the g-10 camera macro function, until then the old Nikon must be enough, sorry guys.
is your G10 camera a Canon or another one?

·
Registered
127 Posts
wow duna! stunning! the blue tone is amazing... somewhat more expressive than the black dial that's for sure...

is your G10 camera a Canon or another one?
yes, Canon, little great camera but for some reason the Macro function is impervious to my attempts.. always badly out-of-focus results. Or simply too long exposures... could be in macro time-priority is inactive , who knows..
In the old Nikon it was pretty easy to use. I fear the old 'worst case scenario', having to read the f.. manual :-|:-d

·
Registered
73 Posts
HERE is the new post. I wanted to keep the information about this line centralized. Warning: crappy cell phone pics ahead.

I was told by one shop that Vostok will no longer be making this model: Amfibia Seaman. That, the looks and size, and because of the history, ruggedness and my lack of aversion to fusion design is why I bought it. I think that the tag states that it was made in 2011. It really is quite purplish. Two knocks on it are that there is a weird half arsed orange paint on the bezel indicator (the natural white color can be seen around the edge of the dot), and it looks like the blue on the crown has a bit of fade after using it. I'm going to remove the orange bezel paint. I do wonder if sellers when running out of stock save the worst for last...

Vostok: l2p(aint). (Edit: WHOOPS the crown was a STICKER! Duh! I was wondering why the hell they would make it blue). Very nice crown with the Amfibia logo I might add.

I ordered from moscowtim1980. It came ticking and 2 minutes slow....plus a day ahead and an hour behind. I believe the guy tried to set the date for me, but since my amphibia is awaiting parts and my only other watch is a cheap Chinese skeleton that I was itching to unclasp....I had to set the date thirty days forward. NOT :p !!! <<--I looked like this guy when I was done, partially because:

...The second hand stopped after getting through about 20 days...I shook it and then it restarted...I was being careful.

Yikes! Hope I didn't wear the movement too much while performing this task...

Anyways, these are things that I expect after reading about Vostok. If I bought one for a friend or family which I plan on doing when I am more settled, then I will open up the box and give the watch an initial set up.
The picture on ebay was of the actual item so there are no surprises. The bezel is quite average. The strap is quite nice and very solid. The case is very solid. Overall, I'm satisfied and now have the 'Dodge Viper' type dream watch of my childhood: a rugged, solid, heavy, unique diving watch with a rotating bezel and a very interesting story inside to boot! Of that fact, I am very happy with this purchase. If I ever see another of this model in person...I will probably jump 5 feet backwards and fall down...cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
The God of Horology was looking after me today :)

I was performing my routine evening ritualistic search through the E bay when all of a sudden a vision appeared to me like Excalibur rising from the lake.

An Orange Vostok Amfibia Scuba complete with original band with a BIN of $35.90 !!!!

I can tell you that my fingers went into Ludicrous Speed and before the blink of an eye this masterpiece of Orange was now mine :-!

The seller then contacted me to let me know that it wasn't running perfectly accurate and would probably require a service, and I replied that it would not be a problem, even if it required a new movement.

So now the wait begins ................... but definitely a wait I'll enjoy ;-)

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
The God of Horology was looking after me today :)

I was performing my routine evening ritualistic search through the E bay when all of a sudden a vision appeared to me like Excalibur rising from the lake.

An Orange Vostok Amfibia Scuba complete with original band with a BIN of $35.90 !!!!

I can tell you that my fingers went into Ludicrous Speed and before the blink of an eye this masterpiece of Orange was now mine :-!

The seller then contacted me to let me know that it wasn't running perfectly accurate and would probably require a service, and I replied that it would not be a problem, even if it required a new movement.

So now the wait begins ................... but definitely a wait I'll enjoy ;-)

View attachment 11390874

View attachment 11390890

View attachment 11390898

View attachment 11390914
Welcome to the scooby club comrade! :)

Reactions: mariomart

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Now comrade,that gives me paws for thought! :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
If one was to keep changing the bezel (different colours) say once every 3 months would it make the bezel or spring loose after a few years?

41 - 60 of 75 Posts