WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Have this red sea for a while. Was running +60 sec/day from the box. Did not want to open and regulate until now , but last week took case back of and after few - and + actions , got it to -5 sec/day. "O" ring looking ok. Also have change heavy bracelet with rubber amfibia. Also hr. hand is 5 mins. off against date switch. This fix is next on the list.

20200410_181049.jpg

With feijoas and apples.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Classic rookie mistake - I made a new thread with a question about Amfibia's quality and water resistance, but didn't remember to check if there were already a thread about Amfibias. Anyway, if a mod thinks my post should be in this thread and not have a separate thread, then please move it here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey guys,
After going through all the typical Breitlings and Omegas, I'm just learning about Russian watches - fun! I started looking at the new Amfibia Black Sea just because it was a nice looking watch, never realizing the heritage behind it. Lots to learn here on this forum.

There seems to be a lot of interest in modding these watches, and I've learned some new things I hope I can contribute - after a lot of searching on the forum, I wasn't able to find these answers here before.

1. If you're thinking of doing some custom work on one of the new 45mm Black Sea models, the case number is 440. These cases are actually farmed out to China, as Vostok starts to modernize the manufacturing process.

2. The bezel comes pre-installed on the case and is not removable! This is going to bum out a lot of customizers. I don't know if this is true of all the Amfibia line, but I can safely say it's the case with the Black Sea.

3. Years after the introduction and release of the Black Sea, there is still a near vacuum when it comes to replacement straps. Meranom admits that they have nothing. The trick is the super wide lugs that leave only 15mm of space between them; and I think most people would agree that a 15mm leather strap on a 45mm case would look pretty silly. One possibility is this:
s-l1600.jpg

This is a Strap for a Seiko Sportura SK0113. The tab in the center is 15mm (just right) but the edges are 27mm, so I would trim a millimeter off of each edge and add a little black dye. This particular color combination would do well with the white face/orange lettering Black Sea. It's on ebay for about $30, and there are other options as well. Here's another:
IWC.jpg

This one fits an IWC Aquatimer. The center tab is 16mm, so it might squeeze in, or you might want to trim it just a hair. The outer edge is 26mm on this one, so again, you might be okay with leaving it, or making a minor adjustment.

I have not yet tried to install either of these on a BS, so I don't yet know if the hole depth is okay, or what kind of weird gaps we're going to have, or what. Just in the planning stage now.

Hope this is helpful info, and not something that everybody already knows but me! If anybody else has any good strap ideas, please let me know!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey guys,
After going through all the typical Breitlings and Omegas, I'm just learning about Russian watches - fun! I started looking at the new Amfibia Black Sea just because it was a nice looking watch, never realizing the heritage behind it. Lots to learn here on this forum.

There seems to be a lot of interest in modding these watches, and I've learned some new things I hope I can contribute - after a lot of searching on the forum, I wasn't able to find these answers here before.

1. If you're thinking of doing some custom work on one of the new 45mm Black Sea models, the case number is 440. These cases are actually farmed out to China, as Vostok starts to modernize the manufacturing process.

2. The bezel comes pre-installed on the case and is not removable! This is going to bum out a lot of customizers. I don't know if this is true of all the Amfibia line, but I can safely say it's the case with the Black Sea.

3. Years after the introduction and release of the Black Sea, there is still a near vacuum when it comes to replacement straps. Meranom admits that they have nothing. The trick is the super wide lugs that leave only 15mm of space between them; and I think most people would agree that a 15mm leather strap on a 45mm case would look pretty silly. One possibility is this:
View attachment 15149359

This is a Strap for a Seiko Sportura SK0113. The tab in the center is 15mm (just right) but the edges are 27mm, so I would trim a millimeter off of each edge and add a little black dye. This particular color combination would do well with the white face/orange lettering Black Sea. It's on ebay for about $30, and there are other options as well. Here's another:
View attachment 15149371

This one fits an IWC Aquatimer. The center tab is 16mm, so it might squeeze in, or you might want to trim it just a hair. The outer edge is 26mm on this one, so again, you might be okay with leaving it, or making a minor adjustment.

I have not yet tried to install either of these on a BS, so I don't yet know if the hole depth is okay, or what kind of weird gaps we're going to have, or what. Just in the planning stage now.

Hope this is helpful info, and not something that everybody already knows but me! If anybody else has any good strap ideas, please let me know!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I replaced the bracelet with a PU diver strap.Still hefty but a bit lighter and looks more slender.
Hey Mecano,

Where did you get the Brown strap in this set of pictures? Does it have a name, or type, such that I could search for straps like this?

This might be a good option for Black Sea.

Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Amfibia Scuba on Samsung Active Velcro strap, so much more comfortable :-!

Could you make another photo where we see the strap better (other side of the wrist), please? Did those adapter links come with the strap or did you look elsewhere for them?

Edit: Found some on ebay, relatively cheap, they come in different colors too - but yours looks a bit different, especially the end links. Mind telling where you got it? Also found metal magnetic ones - I don't reckon that would harm the watch?

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Amfibia Scuba on Samsung Active Velcro strap, so much more comfortable :-!

Could you make another photo where we see the strap better (other side of the wrist), please? Did those adapter links come with the strap or did you look elsewhere for them?

Edit: Found some on ebay, relatively cheap, they come in different colors too - but yours looks a bit different, especially the end links. Mind telling where you got it? Also found metal magnetic ones - I don't reckon that would harm the watch?
Here you go, I only wish that the lug holes were a little more inboard and higher up, but it's a super comfortable strap.

Strap.jpg

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Nice, thanks
will look into finding one for myself
here's my Scuba on the original strap, it's not bad but it is quite cumbersome. It's also quite the dust magnet.
I still have the original strap, but I agree that it's a little too chunky, and as it's Winter here in Australia it makes it almost impossible to check the time when you have a few layers on. The Velcro strap lowers the entire profile and makes it easier.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts