WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that for ex. a Blackbird has 38 jewels ?

The new Blackbird is quite expensive...is that due to that amount of jewels ?

Does many jewels mean less maintenance ? ( less friction, so I assume less maintenance... ? )

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hey

Jewels are added to a movement to stop friction wearing out key moving parts. So yes jewels do improve the movement.

I suspect though there is a bit of a jewel war going on between the bigger brands at the moment. Most of my old B's do perfectly well on 17 jewels and my automatics on 23 jewels.

I rememeber my father showing me a watch he picked up in Poland back in the 60's - that was labelled as 12 jewels and they were alll stuck on the inside of the movement none on a moving part anywhere o| .

But I guess there are rules about that these days :-d

Brad

·
Registered
40,439 Posts
:) Waltham won the jewel wars of the early fifties with 100. The ones
that were not needed were applied to the rotor. Great con. :-d :-d
Hey

Jewels are added to a movement to stop friction wearing out key moving parts. So yes jewels do improve the movement.

I suspect though there is a bit of a jewel war going on between the bigger brands at the moment. Most of my old B's do perfectly well on 17 jewels and my automatics on 23 jewels.

I rememeber my father showing me a watch he picked up in Poland back in the 60's - that was labelled as 12 jewels and they were alll stuck on the inside of the movement none on a moving part anywhere o| .

But I guess there are rules about that these days :-d

Brad

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
Hi -

Not really any rules, but basically the other watch makers get to make fun of anyone adding jewels that aren't needed. :)

JohnF

·
Registered
26 Posts
Let me put it this way. my girard Perregaux has almost three times the number of jewels my Breitling has and both are equal in accuracy. It only has to do with friction. Less wear and tear on the watch with more jewels. But of course it all depends on how you treat the damn thing. So in other words dont even consider the number of jewels when you purchase a watch. it shouldn't even be a factor.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let me put it this way. my girard Perregaux has almost three times the number of jewels my Breitling has and both are equal in accuracy. It only has to do with friction. Less wear and tear on the watch with more jewels. But of course it all depends on how you treat the damn thing. So in other words dont even consider the number of jewels when you purchase a watch. it shouldn't even be a factor.
Ok, thx for the info.

But I presume that the amunt of jewels, can be a factor of a higher price...

·
Registered
40,439 Posts
:) The most important thing of all; tuning. How much tweaking is a maker
willing to spend doing it, time is money.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Can be but generally no. For instance. my panerai only has 17 jewels and the thing costs way more than my breitling. while the audamars piquet royal oak offshore i have on order is the most expensive watch i currently own and only has 21 jewels. And yet the movement is a work of art.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts