WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:
I ordered this one from Smirs on January 22, just arrived yesterday in a very nice package and box. Only have the one quick photo so far. The watch is a beauty and fits perfect. I'm glad I got the rubber strap, it feels good.

Got this before the price went up, looks like they increased the pricing dramatically since then?

It's kept -3 seconds since about 16:40 yesterday and seems to be running fine. But the second hand has a bit of a "stutter", is that normal? Especially around 5 seconds to 15 seconds after, then around 30, the second hand stops for a bit and then chugs on. I've heard of this happening with Miyota movements, is it common with Vostoks?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Very cool watch! I am proud to see how Russians are catching up with fashion trends and make watches better looking. Watchmaking is one of the very few technologies where you have a luxury of being able to rely on older technologies and equipment. I guess now they take full advantage of it. Congrats! I really like this watch.

About seconds hand... This watch has what's called "indirect seconds" I believe, like other Vostoks. This means that the pinion on which seconds hand sits is not a real wheel fitted in the jewel. It's just a pinion driven by a wheel. Miyota uses same system. The drawback of such system is that this pinion is only held by a tiny spring and sometimes (in some positions) this spring does not push as firm as in others and seconds hand is "stuttering". This does not effect the accuracy of timekeeping, but may be annoying. It could probably be fixed by opening the watch and bending the spring to push more firmly on the pinion, but I don't think it's worth the trouble, unless you have to go to a watchmaker with other issues.

Just for your info this is not more inferior system. Some biggest names, like Rolex used indirect seconds. Except Rolex has better quality control, so I never seen a newer one with stuttering hand before. But I did see some some vintage ones with this issue.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very cool watch! I am proud to see how Russians are catching up with fashion trends and make watches better looking. Watchmaking is one of the very few technologies where you have a luxury of being able to rely on older technologies and equipment. I guess now they take full advantage of it. Congrats! I really like this watch.

About seconds hand... This watch has what's called "indirect seconds" I believe, like other Vostoks. This means that the pinion on which seconds hand sits is not a real wheel fitted in the jewel. It's just a pinion driven by a wheel. Miyota uses same system. The drawback of such system is that this pinion is only held by a tiny spring and sometimes (in some positions) this spring does not push as firm as in others and seconds hand is "stuttering". This does not effect the accuracy of timekeeping, but may be annoying. It could probably be fixed by opening the watch and bending the spring to push more firmly on the pinion, but I don't think it's worth the trouble, unless you have to go to a watchmaker with other issues.

Just for your info this is not more inferior system. Some biggest names, like Rolex used indirect seconds. Except Rolex has better quality control, so I never seen a newer one with stuttering hand before. But I did see some some vintage ones with this issue.
Thanks very much for this info - good to hear it's not a fatal flaw! The watch has now been running for about 24 hours and it's an incredible +3, so I don't think I'll mess with it! Very accurate. I wish I could say the same about my Buran Siberian Snow with the 3603, which runs a consistent +1.5 per hour. So in two hours and 1 minute, the Buran is less accurate than the Amphibian is all day!

The Amphibian is a real beauty, it looks so solid with the nicely finished case. I love the face also, with no date or other wheelie thingies to mess up the view.

I will chalk up the stuttering second hand as another quirky feature that they added on for free, which makes Russian watches so appealing to me!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Thanks very much for this info - good to hear it's not a fatal flaw! The watch has now been running for about 24 hours and it's an incredible +3, so I don't think I'll mess with it! Very accurate. I wish I could say the same about my Buran Siberian Snow with the 3603, which runs a consistent +1.5 per hour. So in two hours and 1 minute, the Buran is less accurate than the Amphibian is all day!...
The Buran just needs regulation! The fact that it is consistent means it is capable of excellent accuracy once regulated

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Buran just needs regulation! The fact that it is consistent means it is capable of excellent accuracy once regulated
Thanks, yes, I found a local Russian watchmaker this past weekend, and he regulated the Buran, it now runs about 5 seconds slow in 24 hours, which is much better than it was before!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts