WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Riegenschild DarkSeaDiver

First, I have to say that this watch is much nicer-looking than I ever expected it to be and seems very solidly built. The case is large, thick, and heavy and is finished very nicely with the top surfaces having a brushed finish with the sides and back being mirror polished. I mean mirror polished too! You could shave looking into the shine of this watch! :-D

The dial is handsomely decorated and easy to read (I tried to get some of the decoration in the photo, but it's hard to pick up) . The internal bezel moves easily and smoothly by turning the 10 o'clock crown. The bezel is bi-directional, but this doesn't present a problem as both crowns are protected by screw-down caps so there's no possibility that you could inadvertently move it. I bought my DSD with the black silicon strap and I find it carries this rather substantial watch very well and it's comfortable on my wrist though I may buy a black sharkskin or stingray strap for it in the future. B-)

Bottom line? I really like this watch and it's a steal at its asking price of less than $300! |>

Here are some of the specs for the DarkSeaDiver.
316L stainless steel case, 45mm diameter
Numbers and markers treated with SuperLuminova
Rotating internal bezel
Black matte dial with red or yellow accents
Date at 3 o'clock
22mm black silicon strap or stainless steel bracelet
200m depth rating
Movement and bezel crowns protected by screw-on caps
Citizen-Miyota 8215 automatic movement - manual wind capable, non-hacking
Packaged in a cool "scuba tank" container
24 month warranty

I ordered this cool diver from the WUS Shop (Ernie Romers) at a cost of only $269.85 (EUR 218) including shipping to the US. Not a bad deal at all!

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One minor negative point. This Miyota automatic movement (which I'm completely unfamiliar with) is LOUD. If I move my wrist vigorously, it sounds like I've a Diamondback rattler on my wrist! :-D

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
XTrooper said:
One minor negative point. This Miyota automatic movement (which I'm completely unfamiliar with) is LOUD. If I move my wrist vigorously, it sounds like I've a Diamondback rattler on my wrist! :-D
X...............man, how did you manage to get through your years in the service with your hearing intact? I would have trouble hearing a "semi" wheel through the living room! :-D Of course, it does give me plausible deniability when I tell the wife, "I didn't hear you ask me to do that!" :-!

BTW...............nice looking watch.............and the Miyota 8215 is an outstanding movement :gold used in many Citizen watches (Citizen now owns Miyota).

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, Ken, speaking of my hearing, it is as they say, "ain't what it used to be." :-D

The only reason I can hear the rotor turning is because it makes a low frequency sound. Other than that, it would be dead quiet. ;-)

·
Banned
3,600 Posts
Xman.....That is one fantastic looking package! It is great to see such a unique and different style and design in a diver. One does get tired of seeing the constant repackaging of the submariner style although it is a great design.

I love the lefty layout and the dual crowns. The dial is very cool! I dont see the miyota as a problem and they are quite dependable. Done properly...they are quite accurate and I am guessing the equal of the ETA counterpart.

Having said that....what kind of crystal? I probably overlooked where you stated that.

This one has no competition as it has that unique design.

I guess my other considerations at that price point for a diver would be the Tissot Seastar 1000 which is going to cost a $100 or so more or perhaps the Steinhart Ocean 1 which is right around the same price with an ETA 2824 but again...a rolex submariner clone, although very nicely done. But, so many watches.................

Congrats on a really nice purchase! Ernie has some great pieces!

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the compliments, fellas. I really think this watch is a great bargain. :-!

Three things I would change:

1. I'd much prefer a sapphire glass crystal even if I had to pay a little more. That answers your question, Dragoon. ;-) The crystal is mineral glass.
2. A larger date window/numbers. The date numerals are microscopic in size especially when considering the overall size of the watch and dial.
3. Give it more/better lume. The markers should be bigger and the lume, though adequate, is nothing to write home about. Also, no lume marker on the bezel! :roll: That should definitely be corrected.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
XTrooper said:
Sheesh, if the noise from a Miyota bothers you, the racket made by a Valjoux 7750 would drive you crazy! :-D

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I've owned quite a number of watches with both the 7750 and 7760 movements and never thought them noisy. You can hear the rotor on this movement as it spins and you don't have to put your ear to the watch to hear it either.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
XTrooper said:
I've owned quite a number of watches with both the 7750 and 7760 movements and never thought them noisy. You can hear the rotor on this movement as it spins and you don't have to put your ear to the watch to hear it either.
X........you might have that checked out. The 7750 rotor is much noisier than the Miyota.......perhaps there is a problem! :-S

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
KenC said:
X........you might have that checked out. The 7750 rotor is much noisier than the Miyota.......perhaps there is a problem! :-S
Well, it's keeping time very well so far. Unless that changes, I'm not going to worry about it. :)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
You guys are correct. The watch X trooper got looks very much like the OVERPRICED IWC Aqua Diver $ 5000. I love the unique twin Canteen watch and may even purchase this watch.:-!

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the link, Steve. Actually, I just put it on this Hadley-Roma metal bracelet I'd bought for another watch and ended up not using.

What do you think? I like it! :-!

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Another good looking watch Steve.
I honestly don't think you've made a true "mistake" yet...lol.
Looks good on the bracelet, I like the wide bracelets personally.
I think the hands on that one lack a bit of "pizazz".

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, Tragic. I agree about the hands. I think bolder ones would go better with this watch's large, nicely decorated dial.

·
Banned
45 Posts
It says its a Limited Edition of 999pcs... But it isn't numbered??? :-S Never seen that before:think: Otherwise, nice looking! I like the packaging. :-!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts