WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A Raketa 2609 that has been converted to 24 hour function:

Notice the different plate added. Holes had to be tapped into body for attachment. Also notice the body was machined out to receive the different gear set with the pivot moved for the spoked gear.

Not exactly a "do-it-yourself" job.

24.1.jpg
24.2.jpg

24.3.jpg

24.8.jpg

2609 12 hour setup:

24.4.jpg 24.5.jpg

2623 24 hr. body:

24.6.jpg

Gear sets with 12 hour on top:

24.7.jpg

Here's how I believe the gears work.

For 12 hour:

Cannon pinion with 12 teeth turns 1 time per hour (holds the minute hand) = 12 teeth.

12 teeth / 32 teeth on the spoked gear x 8 teeth on the central spoked gear = 3 or 1/12 of a turn of the 36 gear hour gear or one hour.

For 24 hour:

Cannon pinion with 12 teeth turns 1 time per hour (holds the minute hand) = 12 teeth.

12 teeth / 48 teeth on the spoked gear x 8 teeth on the central spoked gear = 2 or 1/24 of a turn of the 48 gear hour gear or one hour.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Hmmm - that is interesting! So, if I understand correctly (which is doubtful - I'm on the far side of a decent bottle of wine), the "factory made" 2623H body has a significantly different layout to accommodate the different-ratio wheels; and the "modified" 2609HA has been machined to replicate this? It's strange - it's a long time since I compared 2623H and 2609HA, and I noted the different gear ratios but didn't notice the different layout. I'll have to take apart a couple more.

On the plus side, though, it does make it easy to tell if the body was originally a 2609HA - the machining is a giveaway unless somebody replated it afterwards.

·
Registered
814 Posts
So, am I seeing correctly that, among other things, the post for the 2609NA minute wheel has been drilled or punched out, and a new post for the 2623N version has been added (maybe the same post soldered back in?), along with the machining to create a depression for the wider wheel? OK, I'll bite - how does one even do that?

I guess I see what you mean about it not being a homemade job. Should we be calling these 2609 to 2623 something else - not franken but retrofitted?

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, am I seeing correctly that, among other things, the post for the 2609NA minute wheel has been drilled or punched out, and a new post for the 2623N version has been added (maybe the same post soldered back in?), along with the machining to create a depression for the wider wheel? OK, I'll bite - how does one even do that?

I guess I see what you mean about it not being a homemade job. Should we be calling these 2609 to 2623 something else - not franken but retrofitted?
Yes, I believe the one I investigated was retrofitted in a factory or a very well equipped watchmaker's establishment.

1. Remove 12 hr. spoked gear post.
2. Machine depression for 24 hr. spoked gear.
3. Machine depression for 24 hr. hour gear.
4. Install new post for 24 hr. spoked gear.
5. Make plate to hold 24 hr. spoked gear in place in its new position.
6. Tap two holes in watch body to attach new plate in 5. with new screws.

Down side of retainer plates, 2623 on the left with positioning pins:

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Interesting. Am looking forward to mine. The mods do look pretty well executed which in effect makes this a whole new calibre.... Every Russian watch I've stripped looks like it's been bathed in Castrol - is that usual?

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting. Am looking forward to mine. The mods do look pretty well executed which in effect makes this a whole new calibre.... Every Russian watch I've stripped looks like it's been bathed in Castrol - is that usual?
Occasionally you see that in my experience but more often not. That's just the sign of an inexperienced person trying to "oil" a watch into operation probably.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I recently bought a 24hr Raketa with the 2609.HA stamp on the movement. From what I've gathered, this movement is originally 12hr, but either (i) it is in fact a 2623.H movement with the 2609.HA part installed or (ii) a modified 2609.HA such as OP's. I'm interested in knowing more about this 2609.HA movement with 24hr display, and this has been the only thread I've gotten somewhere with, so thanks for posting this!

I wonder why would somebody would go through the trouble of doing all these modifications to make the 2609.HA a 24hr display? Looking from Ebay, *a lot* of the Raketa 24hr displays appear to have the 2609.HA movement, and they are selling maybe $20 more expensive than the Raketa 12hr displays. So, perhaps there's a money incentive to retrofit the 2609.HA to be a 24 hr display. However, if this modification was a simple change of gears, that would make sense, but it seems that this work require skill, tools, and machining custom parts --- maybe too much work to justify an extra 20 bucks? Not sure, do anybody has an idea why there are so many 2609.HA movements with 24 hr displays out there in the market (all seemingly coming from Russia too)?

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I recently bought a 24hr Raketa with the 2609.HA stamp on the movement. From what I've gathered, this movement is originally 12hr, but either (i) it is in fact a 2623.H movement with the 2609.HA part installed or (ii) a modified 2609.HA such as OP's. I'm interested in knowing more about this 2609.HA movement with 24hr display, and this has been the only thread I've gotten somewhere with, so thanks for posting this!

I wonder why would somebody would go through the trouble of doing all these modifications to make the 2609.HA a 24hr display? Looking from Ebay, *a lot* of the Raketa 24hr displays appear to have the 2609.HA movement, and they are selling maybe $20 more expensive than the Raketa 12hr displays. So, perhaps there's a money incentive to retrofit the 2609.HA to be a 24 hr display. However, if this modification was a simple change of gears, that would make sense, but it seems that this work require skill, tools, and machining custom parts --- maybe too much work to justify an extra 20 bucks? Not sure, do anybody has an idea why there are so many 2609.HA movements with 24 hr displays out there in the market (all seemingly coming from Russia too)?
There are a lot of question marks surrounding soviet watchmaking as the empire collapsed and Raketa was one of the hardest to figure. My best guess, and that's all it is, is that for a certain time period the 2623 movement base was not being made and so to keep from running out of 24 hour movements they* began to modify some leftover 12 hour ones. Once you got set up the modification would be fairly simple but you would need some kind of precision drill press at the least or a milling machine.

*but I don't know who they were.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts