WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guardian Angel
DW-9300GA-4T

In the Raysman series, this one is the Grail for me because of the awesome colour combination of red and black.

·
7,507 Posts
Very nice Sili. I don't just like it for the look, I like it for what it stands for. Read up on when and why they started that group. Very noble people :-! Years ago, NY City cut down drastically on the police force, so when these guys took to the streets city officials called them vigilantes, but people called them heroes, which is what they are.

Great pickup

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Wow!

I won't comment again on your pics, Sili. But "Wow!"

This is, in my opinion, the best of all the Raysmans. :-!

...all the outside world subdued
Everything comes back to me again
in the gloom
Like an angel passing through my room.

Someone in Sweden might remember this old song. :)

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Very, very nice. Probably the only special edition ever to have caught my fancy - and in immaculate (NOS?) condition too.

Well done, and congratulations - you've got an absolute beauty there. :-!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Very nice Sili. I don't just like it for the look, I like it for what it stands for. Read up on when and why they started that group. Very noble people :-! Years ago, NY City cut down drastically on the police force, so when these guys took to the streets city officials called them vigilantes, but people called them heroes, which is what they are.

Great pickup

Yes, not to mention in San Francisco

·
Registered
803 Posts
That's an awesome Raysman. Congrats on the find.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:thanks everyone.

Very, very nice. Probably the only special edition ever to have caught my fancy - and in immaculate (NOS?) condition too.

Well done, and congratulations - you've got an absolute beauty there. :-!
It's not NOS, but very good condition. |>

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Great find Sili. That's a nice looking watch in it's own right, even without the Angels connection. :-!

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I am a big Protrek guy, but WOW b-), this is an outstanding G-Shock, a Raysman is firmly in my future, this one is simply amazing.

And most of all it stands for a group of people, who couldn’t just standby and do nothing, when the communities need, arose |>.

Q-6

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
That's my favorite Raysman :-!. I like the red/black colors too. And the text on the inner bezel is just too cool :).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sili, congrats on the purchase. The DW9300GA is my grail too. I was fortunate enough to get one of my own through the people in this forum.

I was a Guardian Angel for 2 years.... there's a full write-up about the history & background of the Guardian Angels on Wikipedia, and there's just one example of a current story about them in action here. But let me also tell you something about the elements of your watch:
The color of the case is matched to the red berets the Guardian Angels wear... and the preferred beret comes from Kaufman's, a surplus military store in New York on West 42nd street. They're one of the oldest surplus stores in the country, definately the oldest in NYC.

Your watch is truly a collectible in many senses; the Angels hardly ever lend use of their name, likeness or logo. It is EXTRAORDINARLY unusual. It's also a real testament to Casio that such a license was given to the G-Shock line.

Queen6 pegged it in the thread above... "a group of people, who couldn’t just standby and do nothing"... that's exactly where the "We Dare To Care" motto came from.

There is a rank system in the Guardian Angels; trainees wear shirts that say "I Support The Guardian Angels". The words wrap around the top & bottom of the flying pyramid, but the shirt doesn't say "Safety Patrol" in the cloud. Only when a candidate completes their training and graduates to leading patrols do they get to wear a the full "Guardian Angels Safety Patrol" logo (like on the DW9300GA caseback). It is a significant accomplishment & milestone for someone to wear that crest.
Again, congrats on getting your grail, thanks for sharing the pictures of it (your watch is beautiful!), and I hope this info helps you appreciate it even more.

·
7,507 Posts
Sili, congrats on the purchase. The DW9300GA is my grail too. I was fortunate enough to get one of my own through the people in this forum.

I was a Guardian Angel for 2 years.... there's a full write-up about the history & background of the Guardian Angels on Wikipedia, and there's just one example of a current story about them in action here. But let me also tell you something about the elements of your watch:
The color of the case is matched to the red berets the Guardian Angels wear... and the preferred beret comes from Kaufman's, a surplus military store in New York on West 42nd street. They're one of the oldest surplus stores in the country, definately the oldest in NYC.

Your watch is truly a collectible in many senses; the Angels hardly ever lend use of their name, likeness or logo. It is EXTRAORDINARLY unusual. It's also a real testament to Casio that such a license was given to the G-Shock line.

Queen6 pegged it in the thread above... "a group of people, who couldn’t just standby and do nothing"... that's exactly where the "We Dare To Care" motto came from.

There is a rank system in the Guardian Angels; trainees wear shirts that say "I Support The Guardian Angels". The words wrap around the top & bottom of the flying pyramid, but the shirt doesn't say "Safety Patrol" in the cloud. Only when a candidate completes their training and graduates to leading patrols do they get to wear a the full "Guardian Angels Safety Patrol" logo (like on the DW9300GA caseback). It is a significant accomplishment & milestone for someone to wear that crest.
Again, congrats on getting your grail, thanks for sharing the pictures of it (your watch is beautiful!), and I hope this info helps you appreciate it even more.
Pete, thanks for that history, and great job. I listen to one of your old fellow Angels Curtis Sliwa when I can in the late mornings when Im on the road.....he's a piece of work man. Great job out there....you guys should always be proud :-!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Thanks for the info Peter. A real tribute to you to have been part of that organisation! |>

·
Registered
4,569 Posts

Thanks for this post, Peter.

But over all, many thanks for daring to care. :thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts