WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, it's now been almost seven months since I got bitten by the watch bug, and in that time I have bought four watches and received one for a wedding present. Although I've posted my motley collection once before in a "show your collection" thread, what appears to be a recent spate of SOTC threads has inspired me to start one of my own to share in a bit more detail. I'd also like to hear what people think would be appropriate next moves.

So without further ado, here are the pictures (apologies that some are recycled from my other posts and that they were all taken with my phone). I'll then say a bit more about what I'm thinking with respect to the future.

First, a group shot: The white-faced Timex, Casio F-91w, and dragon motif Fossil Big-Tic are pre-WIS and of somewhat less interest, so I won't focus on them, other than to say that I intend to keep the first two for sentimental reasons and sell off the Fossil as it's definitely not something I'd wear any more.

Next, the vintage Seikos: a 66-8050 and a King Seiko 4502-7001. I picked both of these up from Ebay. Admittedly they could be in better condition, but there's just something about 1970s Seiko aesthetics that had me browsing Ebay for hours and obsessively checking for new listings. I'm sure many of you have been there before...

And lastly, the contemporary pieces: Seiko SBDN001, Oris Big Crown Propilot, and JLC Master Memovox.

The Memovox is undeniably the proverbial "jewel in the crown" and was my wedding present from my in-laws. It's customary where I got married for the couple to receive watches as wedding presents, and I am extremely grateful that the budget was generous enough for me to go with the Memovox. As readers of the JLC forum may recall, it wasn't an easy choice, but I am very pleased with the watch and it will always be exceedingly special to me.

I actually started the search for a wedding present watch some seven months ago, and it took me five months and many AD trips to make up my mind. Also critical was a lot of forum browsing (thanks WUS!), which is what got me infected (thanks WUS...) and probably brought to the fore a nascent appreciation for watches, which is how I ended up buying the others.

If I remember correctly, the SBDN001 divides opinions on this forum due to its scalloped bezel. I, for one, somehow think it's a really apt detail for a dive watch, looks-wise. The black sunburst dial and brushed bezel both can appear purplish grey in sunlight, which makes me think "what a cool-looking watch" every time I see it.

The Oris is my most recent addition, thanks to a fellow forum member who decided to sell it on for a song. Really like the austere dial, the unique hands, and that turbine-inspired bezel. It's also the most versatile of the three.

I've come to realize however, that eight watches is far too many. Even discounting the pre-WIS watches, the five I presented above seems like a lot because I feel that I can't enjoy enough wrist time with each of them. Also, the collection feels lopsided with three Seikos and three dress watches. As such, I have been contemplating selling off one or both of the vintage pieces. The trouble is, I really do like them a lot, even if I don't wear them as much as the other three. There's some sort of an internal conflict going on between fancying the idea of a streamlined collection and wanting to hang on to the Seikos for the sake of ownership.

As for future acquisition plans, I can't say I really am desperate at the moment to add anything, though a chronograph of some sort would be nice. This will probably be in the next 1-2 years, though it may come sooner if I somehow manage to finish my dissertation, graduate with my doctorate, and snag a decent job next year, thereby giving me a nice excuse to spend a decent amount on something nice. A used Speedmaster Professional is certainly very tempting... but I'd like to shed some weight first.

Anyway, that's it I suppose. I'm curious to hear what you all think--do you agree with my assessment? What would you sell and what would you add?

Thank you for reading this far and thanks in advance for whatever you come up with!

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
A chronograph would be a nice addition, also a watch with a distinctive complication like a Schaumburg moon watch.

Though I might have these hands painted gold so I could read the watch. But the moon complication is a nice one.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Great collection I'm particularly fond of that JLC.

Like Gary, I think a chrono is a logical next step. Longines, Hamilton, Breitling, and of course Omega offer some nifty options that I have looked at. Think of how wonderfully a Speedy would fill things out!

Since the JLC works beautifully for both dress and semi-formal in my opinion, perhaps think about adding a sport three hander. This way you'd have dress, pilot, diver, and a "smart" casual choice. My mouth keeps saying Aqua Terra but my heart says Ingenieur or Explorer.

Also - I think you could stand to improve your choice of diver but this is my area of greatest interest so naturally I would want to invest most here first. If you aren't particularly into divers and you're satisfied with the Seiko you have then ignore me - but I'd flip that and look at the Seiko MM300, a Tudor, Doxa, Aquadive or other high entry level or low mid range piece.

Lots of rambling, hope I was of some help! Enjoy your collection.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
The JLC is stunning!

"Also - I think you could stand to improve your choice of diver but this is my area of greatest interest so naturally I would want to invest most here first. If you aren't particularly into divers and you're satisfied with the Seiko you have then ignore me - but I'd flip that and look at the Seiko MM300, a Tudor, Doxa, Aquadive or other high entry level or low mid range piece."

I second easyP's thoughts and would heartily recommend Tudor.

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
Man, you've got the bases covered already! Nice-looking watchbox. All I can think of is maybe some color? A splash of blue or orange?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Absolutely love these threads, so interesting. The JLC is stunning and I really like the Seikos. I think 10 is a good solid number. Don't rush into selling anything. I've been there and ended up regretting to the pint of repurchase (Seiko SARB). Research and pondering is part of the pleasure.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I think the only thing worse than regret buying a watch is the regret of selling a watch. If you think you would ever regret selling any of the watches then don't sell it. If you feel like you would have no regret and wouldn't miss it, then go for it.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
That vintage Hi-beat is the bomb!!

Damn you!! Now, I will have to neglect my family and park in-front of my computer endlessly looking for a good deal on one... :(

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all very much for all your nice comments and sorry for not being able to respond earlier.

A chronograph would be a nice addition, also a watch with a distinctive complication like a Schaumburg moon watch.
It's funny you should bring this one up because I only discovered Schaumburg a week or two ago and remember thinking that if I ever did get a moon phase watch I'd really like to get one of theirs. The way they lumed the moon especially is really cool. I agree with you about the hands!

Great collection I'm particularly fond of that JLC.
Like Gary, I think a chrono is a logical next step. Longines, Hamilton, Breitling, and of course Omega offer some nifty options that I have looked at. Think of how wonderfully a Speedy would fill things out!
Yeah, a Speedy is definitely at the top of the list right now, although the Breitling Transocean chrono is a really nice option, as are some of the Longines Heritage Collection chronographs. They really don't compare to the Speedy as icons though. Any suggestions for other iconic chronographs? The Zenith El Primero seems to be mentioned most in conjunction with the Speedy Pro but none of their designs really appeal to me that much.

Since the JLC works beautifully for both dress and semi-formal in my opinion, perhaps think about adding a sport three hander. This way you'd have dress, pilot, diver, and a "smart" casual choice. My mouth keeps saying Aqua Terra but my heart says Ingenieur or Explorer.
Hehe after putting the Memovox on that brown strap I wear it quite a lot for "smart" casual and even casual... I'm happy to strap it on with certain t-shirts and shorts/jeans as long as I'm wearing a pair of brown leather shoes. For this reason one of those sport three-handers is much lower on the priority list, but I like all the ones you mentioned and can see myself adding one of them in the long run, possibly a 39mm Explorer I.

Also - I think you could stand to improve your choice of diver but this is my area of greatest interest so naturally I would want to invest most here first. If you aren't particularly into divers and you're satisfied with the Seiko you have then ignore me - but I'd flip that and look at the Seiko MM300, a Tudor, Doxa, Aquadive or other high entry level or low mid range piece.
I second easyP's thoughts and would heartily recommend Tudor.
Thanks both, I saw this comment coming! I do agree, and the thought has crossed my mind. I am quite happy with my Seiko at the moment; it's nice to have a quartz watch that is certifiably tough while also light on the wrist. I think out of the ones you mentioned, I'd most likely go with a Tudor (the Pelagos specifically) for aesthetic reasons. This will definitely be one for the long term too.
[/QUOTE]

Man, you've got the bases covered already! Nice-looking watchbox. All I can think of is maybe some color? A splash of blue or orange?
Haha the watchbox isn't anything fancy, it's one of the more affordable ones available on Amazon (check out Songmics if you are interested). Adding a splash of color's a nice suggestion. Orange is probably a bit too much for my tastes so something with a blue dial would definitely be nice. I was admiring someone's Hamilton Pan-Europ chrono the other day (the one with the blue dial), but it's so large at 45mm. It would have been a nice way to address the chronograph gap and inject color at the same time.

Absolutely love these threads, so interesting. The JLC is stunning and I really like the Seikos. I think 10 is a good solid number. Don't rush into selling anything. I've been there and ended up regretting to the pint of repurchase (Seiko SARB). Research and pondering is part of the pleasure.
I think the only thing worse than regret buying a watch is the regret of selling a watch. If you think you would ever regret selling any of the watches then don't sell it. If you feel like you would have no regret and wouldn't miss it, then go for it.
Thanks both for the advice about not selling, it makes sense and I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Captain Scrumpy, I agree wholeheartedly that research and pondering is part of the pleasure! I think that's part of the reason my horizon for the purchases discussed above is several years (5-10 years total for the chronograph, diver upgrade, and sports three-hander would be nice).

Nice collection.

If you're not desperate to add anything, then don't.
Thank you! I suppose when I wrote that I'm not desperate to add anything, I meant that I'm not looking to buy anything at present, but would like to add a chronograph in the next 1-2 years.

That vintage Hi-beat is the bomb!!

Damn you!! Now, I will have to neglect my family and park in-front of my computer endlessly looking for a good deal on one... :(
Thanks, I really like it too. I've been meaning to get it serviced so I can wear it more often without worrying about the movement exploding, but it's kind of hard to trust just anyone with an old sophisticated movement for which parts are no longer available. As for finding a good deal on one, I suspect your best bet would be a Lord Marvel if the hi-beat movement is all you care about--I feel like the King Seikos are getting more and more expensive and the Grand Seikos have always been. Happy hunting :)

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I definitely think your collection could benefit from some color. When my collection needed color, I first went with a Hamilton Navy Pioneer which features heat blued steel hands. This would be a baby step toward color.

20160519_184311.jpg

When I wanted more color, I went with the Seiko Alpinist, though I would not recommend this here with your # of Seikos. You would benefit from something else.

What about a Nomos Club? Or Stowa Antea? Both offer subtle color.

club.jpg Stowa Antea.jpg

Or an Oris...you could go with their 39mm or 42mm Artix with a subdued blue dial or their Skeleton...

13014_01_733_7642_4035-07_8_21_80.png maxresdefault.jpg

Or lastly, if you want to replace a diver, look at Chr. Ward C60s which offer quite a few color options. I think the best is the GMT ones with Maroon bezel and yellow GMT hand. Such a great color combo.

c60-38-gm-skrs-b_3d.jpg

I definitely like that Oris ProPilot and your Seikos. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Love the vintage Seikos and the JLC. As for watch suggestions, in my experience you just buy what you like. Every time I ask for guidance I never end up using the suggestions so I am not sure why I keep asking. Lol

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I definitely think your collection could benefit from some color.
Wow didn't expect this thread to see the light of day again, but thanks so much for your response and suggestions. I agree that some color would be nice to have. Out of your suggestions, I like the Nomos Club the best. The Hamilton is nice too as a marine-style watch though I think I'd probably go for a Stowa Marine Original or Archimede Deck Watch first (both have those lovely blue hands as well).

I actually did already have a blue-dial watch in mind: the Rolex Oyster OP 39mm, but definitely can't justify spending my cash moneys on that for a while.

Love the vintage Seikos and the JLC. As for watch suggestions, in my experience you just buy what you like. Every time I ask for guidance I never end up using the suggestions so I am not sure why I keep asking. Lol
Haha thanks and fair enough! I think I'm less confused about what I'd like to buy next and more about what to do with some of the less-worn pieces in my collection. I like the idea of a 4-5 watch collection but at the same time don't really want to sell any of the watches shown in this thread. And of course there are always new watches I want to buy.

Anyway I suppose an update is in order. Since starting this thread last September, I've added a Planet Ocean 2500, which I love...

IMG_7736.JPG

...and because I wanted a chronograph, I got this Orient recently as an affordable "scratch the itch" option. Unfortunately I like it rather less, and so it's now for sale. *shameless plug*

DSC_2054.JPG

So the search for a chrono continues...

I think I'm in a stage where I go back and forth wanting various different styles. At one point the Baume et Mercier Clifton chrono looked really nice, then more recently the Junghans Meister Chronoscope and the Stowa 1938 chrono, and always in the background lurks the the Speedy Pro (esp. that FOIS edition). I wonder if it's possible to distill my tastes without actually buying and wearing all these watches for a while.

Comments and suggestions always welcomed!

·
Registered
315 Posts
I love the JLC Memovox and the PO. Very nice. I agree a chronograph should be considered next. I would suggest a Breitling or Zenith.
The El Primero, Navitimer, and Chronomat are all great chronographs.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Wow didn't expect this thread to see the light of day again, but thanks so much for your response and suggestions.
Woops...I didn't even see how old your original post was! I was searching for "Songmics" as I'm wanting a new watch box that holds more than 12 pieces and preferably has leather watch holders.

It looks like you have one of these....you still use this watch case? Do you like the faux leather holders? The price of the box is super cheap at <$40 whereas the other watch box I like with leather watch holders is the Volta 15-piece box for $249. Of course the Volta has a nice wood box.

Well, I came for photos/opinions of the Songmics and left commenting on your original post! ttt as they say?

Songmics 20-piece watch box.jpg

Volta 15-piece watch box.jpg

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
That Orient actually looks quite nice. If they made a Royal Orient version of that with no date and if that one sundial wasn't smaller than the other, that would be my next piece. Unfortunately, I don't think that exists.

I am also doing research on Chronographs at the moment and so far am leaning towards a Zenith. However, I love the look of the new ML Pontos S. Those are 43mm though but if they were 40 or 41mm they would be fricking amazing. They look so nice.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I love the JLC Memovox and the PO. Very nice. I agree a chronograph should be considered next. I would suggest a Breitling or Zenith.
The El Primero, Navitimer, and Chronomat are all great chronographs.
Thanks for the kind words and suggestions. The Breitlings you mentioned are certainly nice watches, just a bit on the busy side for me. I did have a look at a Breitling, the Transocean chrono, which is probably on the large side. Can't deny that the El Primero has an awesome history too, but again if I went with one I would probably opt for the much cleaner Elite Chronograph Classic, though it's probably bordering on being too austere.

Woops...I didn't even see how old your original post was! I was searching for "Songmics" as I'm wanting a new watch box that holds more than 12 pieces and preferably has leather watch holders.

It looks like you have one of these....you still use this watch case? Do you like the faux leather holders? The price of the box is super cheap at <$40 whereas the other watch box I like with leather watch holders is the Volta 15-piece box for $249. Of course the Volta has a nice wood box.
Haha funny that that's how you stumbled on my thread. I'd completely forgotten I'd mentioned Songmics. But to answer your question, yes I'm still using the box and am pretty happy with it as it gets the job done. The faux leather holders are alright, I guess. One thing to note is that they are made such that if you fasten your watches too tightly around them, an indentation around the middle forms where the leather stretches and the padding inside is compressed.

Oh and not sure it matters, but mine isn't the same as the ones you showed. It's just a basic 12-watch version with no additional drawers or anything like that.

That Orient actually looks quite nice. If they made a Royal Orient version of that with no date and if that one sundial wasn't smaller than the other, that would be my next piece. Unfortunately, I don't think that exists.

I am also doing research on Chronographs at the moment and so far am leaning towards a Zenith. However, I love the look of the new ML Pontos S. Those are 43mm though but if they were 40 or 41mm they would be fricking amazing. They look so nice.
Yeah I think the Orient is quite a nice-looking watch too. The smaller 6 o'clock subdial doesn't bother me too much, but the dial feels too cluttered for me overall.

Agreed on the ML Pontos S. I stumbled across them a while ago and thought they look pretty cool, but as you say, they're on the large side. I'd also prefer something with a white, silver, or cream dial if possible so that rules them out as well. Have you checked out the Ball Fireman Storm Chaser Pro? You might like it as well if you like the Pontos too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts