WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Backstory:
I've been thinking for months about purchasing a Chris Ward C60 600 to celebrate the birth of my first child, expected in December.
https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/poll-new-baby-watch-before-after-2084058.html

In so doing, I've always figured that I'd sell my Mido Multifort, since it's about the same size, it's lighter, and has a textured dial.

A few days ago, another WUS member said that he "couldn't imagine me without my Mido" (or words to that effect).

Then, when looking for a grey version of the Multifort as a recommendation for another thread, I found an eBay auction offering one for a very reasonable price.

A weird thought popped into my head: Why not buy the grey one??

What follows is a rough log of my though process in deciding whether to pull the trigger. Does this sound familiar?

My thought process. (Maybe there weren't literally two folks talking in my head, but it felt like it during this decision):

Whoa, that's a crazy good deal! I'm so lucky to have found this while randomly looking for pics for others! Thanks WUS!
Wait, who cares? You already have one, and you think it's a bit big for wearing to work, and you actually plan to sell it to partially finance the CWC60. Andyou already have one, just in a different color.

But the guy on WUS said he couldn't imagine me without one.
So?

Well, if I sell my Mido to fund the CW, I won't have one any more....
So?

And maybe my problem with the size is that the white one just wears a bit too big.... [measures wrist] Yeah, I've got a good 8 mm to spare on my smaller, but quite flat, wrist than the 48mm lug-to-lug of the Mido. And the dial texture... it's so.. mesmerizing. And did I mention the price?
Wait a minute. Haven't you said that you're not going to buy watches anymore just because they're cheap? You're going to look at your collection, see how it fits, what watches won't get wrist time, how much the purchase will delay your grail purchases, you know, plan???

Well, this one fits.
How? You were planning to sell your white one to make room for the CW!

Well, if I got this one, the CW wouldn't be duplicative. And you know I was thinking I needed another mid-casual watch to wear with brown clothes.
The face of this watch is black!!

I know, but it's on a bracelet, so it's versatile. Or I could put it on a brown strap. I liked that look with my Hamilton Jazzmaster, which I no longer have....
Seriously? Oh, and are you ever going to sue the jerks who stole your watches?

Yeah, yeah, but we need to get back on track here. Yeah, I like the dark-grey-on-brown look, like this:

Ooh, that's nice.

Wait, maybe I've been thinking about this all wrong. Maybe I should get the black-faced CW C600 and keep my white Mido! It may be too hard to see the silver hands on the white face...
What!?!? You slaved over this decision for weeks. You e-mailed Chris Ward before they had the white+red bezel. You like to think that YOU got that watch made! Can't go back now. Don't second guess yourself. That's how you get involved crazy thought-conversations, like this one.

[looks at CW Website] Holy cow! If you buy using Euros, the black CW C60 600 is less than $800! And the GMT version is less than $1k! Do I need the GMT? Maybe I'll want to set the GMT hand to the hour the baby went to sleep, so I could time it that way... Maybe I should just forget about the Mido and buy the CW now.
Hold on, cowboy. First, now you're adding more money, and new decisions into the mix. Second, a purchase like this would more than tap you out right now (especially if you bought the GMT! Now you think the GMT is worth the price!?). Third, I know you want to get the watch before the kid is born, so you can wear it (you hope) during the delivery, but that's still more than three months away. And you've got a birthday and three more months of paychecks before then. And the strong possibility that there will be a CW sale of some kind. Let's not go crazy here.

Okay, you're right. No CW for now. But what about this great deal on the Mido?
Do you really think you're going to wear the grey one with brown?

I dunno. But I love the Mido dial, and I think I would like to keep it even if I buy the CW. If I had it on grey, it would likely get worn if I got the CW in white. If I kept my white Mido and got the CW in white, I'm guessing it would mostly sit in the watch box. I think I can still afford CW even if I keep one Mido (provided I wait a few months). And I don't know how the grey will wear, so maybe I'll like it even more. Plus, the lume on the grey is cool:

Oh, like you really care about lume on a watch like this.

Fine, fine. But the grey colorway is still compelling. AND THE PRICE!!
The seller is a little sketchy. There are some feedbacks saying that he mails $500 watches in bubble envelopes. And the lightbox photos are so overexposed that you can't be positive about the condition.

Maybe. But it's CHEAP!
What did we say about not buying watches just because they're cheap...

I know, I know.
Plus, you already own this watch.

I KNOW! I KNOW! But I'm 95% sure that I can flip it for what I paid. And I have this $25 eBay credit for selling an item... it's SOOO cheap.
You already...

...own this watch, I hear you, Mr. Broken record. But look at what this does for me: If I really like the grey Mido, and it works for me, I can sell my white Mido, buy the CW in white, and have two cool watches. If I change my mind and decide that the black CW is the way to go, I can flip the grey Mido, keep the white, and have the grey CW. If I need the funds to purchase the CW, I can sell them both. And won't it be cool, in the meantime, to take pictures of the watches together, "as brothers"? I bet WUS would get a kick out of that!
You're convincing yourself to buy a watch so you can take picture to impress folks on WUS? You've gone mental...

Maybe, but this seems like a plan!!!
[Buys watch on the Bay]
Oh man, what did I do?
Told ya.

Should I cancel my bid?
No. Your plan, as insane as it may sound to an outsider, is a good one. It also prevented you from buying the CW right now, which was a good idea. You'll get at least 90% of your money back if you sell one or the other. And if the watch is crap, or if the eBay seller is a jerk, you can get your money back or file a claim with eBay. And if you decide that they don't really fit, you can flip them both, though it may take you a while. And... the "brother" pics will be cool. You did good.

Thanks!
Don't mention it.

Hey.
Yeah?

Can we check out WatchRecon for a while, just to see what's available?
[Sigh.]

·
Registered
247 Posts
Okay first of all, thank you for making me realize there are more that are just like me. It helps an addict to know this. Also, do we think a 12 step program would help?? (No it would take too much time away from looking at watches.)

Second, that CW white face with red bezel is on the (nearly new) sale at CW right now for 462 pounds.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
That was entertaining (and oddly familiar), but I must confess I'm a little disappointed. I fully expected a "my Precious" to be included somewhere in there.

(Now what I'm leaving out is the ongoing conversations I've been having with myself over the last few months about the purchase I want to make, that I have not business making, even though I've been negotiating with ADs for a little while now and have been offered a price I am 98% confident that 99% of people have paid more for).

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
First off I appreciate the time and effort taken to put all those thoughts into text! I can't advise you on what to do. A week ago I would have told you to stand down and wear the watch you have because another watch won't change your life just your bank balance but............... That was a week ago and for the past 2 days I have been wrestling with my own watch buying demon that is trying to make me buy another watch. So far I'm rationalizing and have not bought it but the owner keeps sweetening the deal; extra bracelet etc.

I think you should keep what you have and buy the CW you want. I've considered selling my old Bulova Seville and Steinhart Ocean One in order to ease my worried mind over buying more watches but each time I get them out I look at them and say, "these are really nice watches". Then I put them back into the cabinet and forget about selling them. Will I buy the watch? You'll know if I post a picture of it.

Just keep thinking,

Ard

·
Premium Member
7,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Okay first of all, thank you for making me realize there are more that are just like me. It helps an addict to know this. Also, do we think a 12 step program would help?? (No it would take too much time away from looking at watches.)

Second, that CW white face with red bezel is on the (nearly new) sale at CW right now for 462 pounds.
Just to make things interesting, CW has a Nearly New sales going on right now (courtesy of the Deals thread).

One day after I go through all this pain! And I still don't know whether I should go for black or white (or black GMT, which is available for $750.)

Why now, Chris, why?!??!!

Reactions: ChiefWahoo

·
Registered
864 Posts
My sides, that was a really entertaining read, I've had a similar train of thought regarding the purchase of a Bulova Super Seville and an Omega Seamaster against my existing Omega Deville. So true.

·
Premium Member
7,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, someone has purchased the white/red 42mm. :-(
I had it in my basket (hoping that would save it) but to no avail.

I could pick up the black GMT, but you know what? I think I'm going to wait. I bet (hope?) there'll be a sale in November, and by then I'll have decided what to do with my Midos.

For now, enjoy the chaos that is my brain.

Reactions: Gazza74

·
Registered
202 Posts
I can relate to the thought process. It is going through my head right now involving a vintage soviet alarm vs. another vintage Hamilton or maybe another pocketwatch.... I don't have anything important to celebrate though and no reason to buy (another) watch. No sane reason at least.

But I really want that alarm.

But that pearly face on the Hamilton is so nice and in good condition for its age.

Then (in my husband's voice) "What are you going to do with ANOTHER watch? I wear one watch. You have 10. Why does anyone need 10 watches?"

Sigh. Can't win.

BTW, I think both Midos are lovely! The dial texture is subtle and refined. You needed two of them. Regarding the Ch. Ward, the black/grey face with the red is quite nice, the white seems hard to read.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks for the lunch time laugh! I think we can all relate in one way or another.

I look forward to the follow up thread where you've bought both the grey & white CW and are now trying to justify how they fit into the collection with both Midos and should both stay! :-d

c

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Well you clearly REALLY want a Tudor Black Bay. So why not just do that. Does that help your indecision?

Sent from my iPad using Crapatalk

·
Registered
616 Posts
There is a CW nearly new sale going on right now. Good luck.

Edit* I now know it was mentioned many times before. I should have read to the end before sending my comment.

·
Premium Member
7,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well you clearly REALLY want a Tudor Black Bay. So why not just do that. Does that help your indecision?

I've seen the BB in the flesh. It's nice. I don't think it's 3x as nice as the CW. And it doesn't have applied indices, a ceramic bezel, or as cool of a caseback.
And I don't think I could ever pay $3k for a watch with a 2824-2 in it.
Battle for the deep

But one of the reasons that I was attracted to the white faced CW is that it has a different identity than the Tudor.

But thanks for trying to make my decision easier. :)

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
An indecisive watch buyer's stream-of-consciousness thoughts when deciding wh...

I've seen the BB in the flesh. It's nice. I don't think it's 3x as nice as the CW. And it doesn't have applied indices, a ceramic bezel, or as cool of a caseback.
And I don't think I could ever pay $3k for a watch with a 2824-2 in it.
Battle for the deep

But one of the reasons that I was attracted to the white faced CW is that it has a different identity than the Tudor.

But thanks for trying to make my decision easier. :)
I here you. I've tried on the BB too and it really is pretty awesome. I would have a hard time justifying $3000 for ANY watch. Been hunting for a slightly used BB and when they come down to where they start with 1 in the beginning of the price I'll probably jump at it. That CW with the black face and the aged leather strap sure is pretty.....then again I love a textured dial like the one on the Mido...then again, have you considered and Omega Speedmaster?

Watch Analog watch Wrist Watch accessory Fashion accessory

There. Confused yet? Then again when asking the question about this or that...I usually say

Cartoon Yellow Text Line Font

Better?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts