WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love watches, and i am looking for my first "great watch" (after like 5 watches of Casio, Burberry, Armani, .vv.). And I come up with the decision to take an IWC because of its history and design.
My problem is that my wrist is quite small (i think 6.5 inches), and i am having problem looking for a suitable watch. Can you recommend me with a name that can fit in a 6.5-inche wrist??

Thanks a bunch!

·
Banned
1,434 Posts
I have the same wrist size, and I don't like wearing huge watches. That said, a lot depends on case and lug shape, watch height, dial color, proportion of dial to bezel, round or flat wrist, and of course personal taste. For me, having previously worn a 39mm IWC Spitfire UTC, I would go with one of three current IWC models: the 40mm Ingenieur 3239, the 41mm Mark XVII (I prefer the Le Petit Prince version), or the 40.9mm Portuguese Chronograph. And of those three I would choose the Ingenieur 3239 because I like the Gerald Genta sporty design and the perfect diameter and thickness. I suppose the Portuguese Chronograph Classic at 42mm would be another option, but I tried it on once and thought it too big; likewise, even the 40.9 Portuguese Chronograph wears kind of big due to its large dial. The 40mm Portofino Automatic would work, but it's a dress watch and not the one I would choose for a first IWC. Finally, you could get a used Mark XVI at 39mm--a classic pilot watch that will always look good.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Check out the 3239. 40mm face, 10mm case thickness -- perfect dimensions for a smaller or normal size wrist. Here's a picture I pulled from somewhere on this forum so you know what it looks like.

Perfect blend of sportiness and dressiness. I wish more companies made 40mm models; a lot of companies like Omega generally have 38mm or 42mm models -- with the 38mm looking like a woman's watch and the 42mm being too big and blingy. 40mm is what you want.

3239.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Ingenieur 3239 is a little bit simple for me as I like it to have some chronograph. so i am looking at Portofino 42mm with steel brecelet to help hide my small wrist. I am very successful with this strategy when wearing an 43mm casio edifice :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi. I have two IWC's, I love both. My 39mm Pilot's Chronograph (from 2006) is perfect for a smaller wrist and you can probably get online a decent used one for a decent price (3706 reference and it's perfect with stainless steel and leather). The subsequent versions of this model from 2006 onwards didn't have the wow factor for me and they're now HUGE!

The other one I have is a 7-day Portuguese (I wanted this for years and finally acquired in 2011). This is BIG but looks classic on any sized wrist.

However, for me the best watch in this sort of price range is one I bought on a whim at duty free as it was heavily discounted. It's now my favourite and gets more comments than the Portuguese. It's the Jaeger LeCoultre Master Chronograph. Dressy, elegant, yet classic and even a bit sporty!

JLC Master Chrono

imagesCAJE2WWJ.jpg

IWC Pilot's

3266-IWC.jpg

·
Registered
262 Posts
Size is overrated. People can get away with 47mm watches and look fine as long as its more than 2 feet viewing distance. It's only weird when you're up close.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Ten years ago I was in the same position you are today. My Pilot Mark XV has been an absolute pleasure since and remains my most treasured piece. 38mm and slim, it wears beautifully and can still be found on the used market for sensible prices if you look around.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you thinking pilot I think 3777 at 43mm wears well on a smaller wrist.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts