WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I take great pleasure every morning, over my first coffee of the day, logging onto this forum to read the up's and down's of the brand I work for. Many times I'm able to help out with bits of advice, and more frequently I learn things myself from the extremely knowledgeable members of this board.

I don't get anywhere near enough leisure time, so it's becoming increasingly more difficult to find the time to really sink my teeth into some great topics. I also, in the past, have made an effort to reply to all PM's when I can. I feel if someone has taken the time to write to me, I'll show the courtesy of writing back.

Lately though I'm receiving more and more PM's requesting that I verify the authenticity of a Tissot bought from eBay, grey dealer, second hand, etc. I hope it can be appreciated that these sales go against our corporate policy and put me in a difficult position... and there's only so many times I can repeat the same information.

So... due to current time restraints I've decided I will not be replying to any PM's regarding these matters. Instead please see below my thoughts on the issue:

- Tissot's global strategy is to oversee a network of more than 16,000 authorized dealers who carry a minimum range and present the product in a professional manner. These locations have been pre-approved by us to have the capabilities to showcase the brand in an acceptable manner. We provide these store with the proper displays, training and support, consumer catalogues, etc, as well as guarantee all sales through these avenues with an international warranty of 2 years.

- Our global pricing strategy is set to provide a level playing field across all of our AD's. Discounting will occur, and I'm yet to see anyone mark the price up from RRP. This price reflects the value of the watch (compare side by side features with another Swiss brand!!), and takes into account the level of service and support given to the dealer.

- Serial numbers on the case back/clasp do not give a good indication of authenticity. These do not provide information about country of origin or model number.

- Grey market dealers are not authorized to sell Tissot watches. The warranty will be void, and the service level you are provided will vary. The origin of the watches cannot be confirmed, and we will not provide any warranty service for repair of pieces bought through these avenues. If they are only making 2 - 3% profit, what level of service/support do you think they'll be willing to provide??

- Ebay sales need to be treated very carefully. If you're not sure... don't buy it. If the price seems too good to be true... don't buy it. As a general rule of thumb, if it's new and from China... think very carefully before buying. Feedback is not always a good indication of the authenticity of a watch. You can't be sure what the customer who gave positive feedback was expecting? They may have got a much better fake than they expected :)

- Personally, I feel if you decide to purchase through these avenues you're taking a gamble. A much safer option (in terms of authenticity) would be to pick something up from a member here, or on other respected watch forums. If it was me I'd suck it up, pay the extra, and have the peace of mind that goes with it, regardless of the brand.

There are many other threads already established on this topic that will come up from a simple search, but hopefully this will provide answers to many of the "is this real?" questions.

Hopefully this didn't come across as a rant. Rather it should explain why I'm not replying to many of the PM's I receive.

Happy watching,

Sean

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Excellent information that should be a help to those who choose to purchase from a non-AD. Perhaps this should be a "sticky"?

Keep up the good work Sean!

Best regards,
Wallace

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
The prices of Tissot watches do seem tempting on the web but I still make it a point to get all my Tissot(s) so far from my tried and trusted AD (well, they are giving me a little more discount from the predetermined level after I bought my 2nd one there :)).
Its still more expensive but at least I have the peace of mind that they are the real deal ;-).
Thanks for the info and heads-up, Sean :-!

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
That's more then more then fair.
Every one here will try to help out when a question like this pops up, but to take the matter (asking about the authenticity of a watch bought outside of the brand's dealership) to the brand's "official spokesperson" on the boards is quite a stretch IMHO :roll:.

·
5,150 Posts
Thanks for this, Sean. It's great to have you as a regular voice on the forum and your insider news really adds something special to our discussions. I'll make this thread a sticky after a few days for easy referral.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Thanks for the post, I guess since I purchased from an Authorized Dealer I should feel good :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fair enough Sean. I'm one of the people who have PM'd you to verify a watches authenticity. From now on I'll stick with AD's and/or shoptissot.com :-!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks Sean for your help in the past when I was searching for information on a particular obsolete model.

As for your point on 'grey market' sales, I agree with you. I buy many watches from forums, Ebay, etc. But when it came to buying my T-touch the only place I considered was my AD. I have no concerns for the next two years about a very technical piece of equipment and authenticity is not an issue. :-!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts