WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a low profile analog G-Shock watch, not big and bulky like most of the G-Shock's.
What do you think about AWG-100 or AWG-M100-1A?

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
I'm looking for a low profile analog G-Shock watch, not big and bulky like most of the G-Shock's.
What do you think aboutAWG-100 or AWG-M100-1A?
I have an AWG-M100A, the one with the blue metal bezel. I like it a lot, and it is comfortable, but it is pretty small. The diameter of the dial is only about 27-28 mm. Still, it's a good looking watch, and I like that both hands are white (not a fan of the red hour hand on the positive LCD version). The negative LCDs are pretty much unreadable in anything but bright light, so I use it like an analog watch.

If you want a smaller, ana-digi G-Shock, the AWG-M100 is a good option.

·
Registered
694 Posts
It is a very nice smaller size. Fits under jacket and shirt sleeves very nicely. Have been wearing my AWG during this winter quite a lot.

Lume isn't very good, doesn't last very long. This is normal G-Shock lume which isn't the best in comparison to Seiko.

It has a great backlight that lights up the hands. Backlight is orange/yellow in color. Negative is that it doesn't light up the digital displays. So you can check the time easily, but the other features are better to use during the day.

Really can't recommend the black dial white hands model enough, it's one of my favorites.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I'm looking for a low profile analog G-Shock watch, not big and bulky like most of the G-Shock's
Didn't we just have this conversation in the Affordable Watches forum?

G-Shocks are bulky on purpose, so they can absorb shocks. All the analog ones are going to sit higher on the wrist than a conventional watch, and there are resin bumpers that extend up past the bezel in order to protect the crystal. Now, there in one exception to this bulky rule in the G-Shock world and that is the 5000/5600 series, which are all digital-only. They are tough as all get-out, are the thinnest G-Shocks made, and are the spiritual successor to the original DW-5000 issued in 1983, which was the first G.

But to reiterate, there are no low profile analog G-Shocks. I have a GA-1000 and a GW-3500, and neither are particularly thin but then again I don't find them objectionably tall either like the Rangeman or MudMaster are. Both fit under my jacket sleeves well enough, but admittedly not as easily as my GW-M5610.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Are there any other small Gshock s at this price range?
I'm not aware of any other current, small, ana-digi G-Shocks in a similar price range. Maybe someone else has some ideas.

If a non-G Casio would work, you might look at the various AQ-S800 and AQ-S810 models.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Few question about AQ-S800 :
Is it shock resistant?
How long the recharable battery approximately lasts?
See post above re shock resistance.

The watch is supposed to run 10 months on a full charge, and the battery should last 10 years or more if it's kept on medium or high charge level, if the watch itself lasts that long. Mine always stays on high just by putting the watch in a room with bright, filtered sunlight a few times a week. It seems to be very power efficient.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Another choice would be the AW591, which basically a AWGM100 twin without solar nor atomic.

Personally, I would go for the AWGM100. For the basic 1A model, it's not too much more than the AW591. It has acceptable lume on the hands and indices, but only last an hour or two. It has also an LED as shown few posts back by another member. It is basically the smallest ana-digi G-shock in current production.

If you want model other than the 1A, you should wait a little because couple of newer models are being released by Casio.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/g-shock-november-2015-releases-2527818.html
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/g-shock-feb-releases-2829650.html

Reactions: GaryK30

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How about Gshock g300??
Looks nice, but it's thicker than the AWG-M100 and it uses two tiny non-rechargeable batteries.
On the other hand:
-The case is smaller, and I like the round shape.
-From pictures in Google I assume it has really good lume and backlight.
-The battery last about 3 years, I think it's fair enough.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I would highly recommend this one, looks great and it is cheap-$100 on Amazon-the module is excellent, 100 m WR and its sporty-dressy enough for any occasion. If shock resistance is not a must, this is one great watch.

The model number is WVQ-M410-1.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would highly recommend this one, looks great and it is cheap-$100 on Amazon-the module is excellent, 100 m WR and its sporty-dressy enough for any occasion. If shock resistance is not a must, this is one great watch.

The model number is WVQ-M410-1.
The thing is I do want a shock resistant, because I wanna take it also to gym and I fear of the watch getting banged by weights...

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
On the other hand:
If you like the looks and are OK with changing batteries once in awhile, I see no reason not to get a G-300.

If you want to be able to easily read the digital displays, you might consider getting one with positive LCDs, like the G300-2AV. Of course, the analog time may be easier to read with one that has negative LCDs, like the G300-3AV.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
On the other hand:
According to Casio's specs, the case of the G-300 is a slightly smaller diameter, but it is also thicker than the AWG-M100.

Another thing is that on the G-300 you have to set the analog time and digital time separately. On the AWG-M100 and other more modern Casio ana-digis (like the AQ-S800), the analog time is automatically set when you set the digital time. I'm not sure if this matters to you or not, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
On the other hand:
According to Casio's specs, the case of the G-300 is a slightly smaller diameter, but it is also thicker than the AWG-M100.

Another thing is that on the G-300 you have to set the analog time and digital time separately. On the AWG-M100 and other more modern Casio ana-digis (like the AQ-S800), the analog time is automatically set when you set the digital time. I'm not sure if this matters to you or not, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.
Thanks for the information. Does the aq-s800 have led light? I wish it was as shock resistant as Gshock.. Why aren't there such small gshocks :(

It makes a big difference. If so, I'll go for awg. But does awg100 have a led light or only awgm100?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts