WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts

·
Registered
Samsung Gear S3 Frontier. Rolex Submariner 116610LN. Citizen Super Titanium CA0021-53E
1,901 Posts
By the way, my favorite Frogman model is the Solar Titanium GW-200 series. For me, it also fits better than the Analog Frogman (I got the chance to try it on at Time Depot recently.)

So, digital all the way.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
By the way, my favorite Frogman model is the Solar Titanium GW-200 series. For me, it also fits better than the Analog Frogman (I got the chance to try it on at Time Depot recently.)

So, digital all the way.
That one is an MRG, isn´t? Nope, my bad.
I know @desire68 has one (MRG). Beautiful piece.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Those are lovely frogs. The first solar frogs as well as the least ostentatious . The last of the titanium’s as well.

I remember when the GWF-1000’s first came out to replace the GW200’s...The response was a bit like the response people had to the GWF-A1000’s this year...

The difference now is that Casio continues to sell GWF-D1000’s as a true diving instrument, the GWF-1000’s are still for sale, and now there’s an analog option.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Well, this has escalated quickly, haha.

Again, not a diver, so the feature set of either will be overkill for pool/playing in the surf, and that's ok. Also, and let's be honest, it's for peacocking as well. I do like the analog for that, and bluetooth functionality is interesting.

But, Digital seems to be the overwhelming consensus among owners.

Follow up, looks like GWF-1000s are at a reasonable price, how does that version stack up versus the newer/older versions that cost roughly double? Colorways are not significant decision drivers for me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
If forced to choose i would go for the digital and cannot udrstand why no depth sensor for a divers watch.
I was an avid diver for many many years. Dive watches don't have depth gauges. The depth gauge on the digital Frogman is nothing more than a novelty. I don't know, but I suspect it's the only dive watch with a depth gauge. A cool novelty, but nevertheless.... I would NEVER use it as my primary instrument for monitoring my depth.

While I was certified to dive around 1982 or 1983 (I forget), my real diving activities didn't ramp up until 1988, when I joined the Navy and had enough money to get my own quality dive gear.

And, even back THEN.... in 1988, I purchased what was already a SECOND GENERATION dive computer... the U.S. Divers Monitor 2. It was a completely self-contained dive computer that tracked everything... dive time, current depth, max depth, temperature, etc, etc. It could even calculate decompression times on the fly, if needed. It was completely automatic, turning itself on at the beginning of the dive without any input from the diver. It was quite the instrument, and I used it for many years.

So, you'll have to pardon me while I chuckle at the notion being suggested that the litmus test of a "dive watch" is the incorporation of a built-in depth gauge. Hardly.

Shall we disqualify the Rolex Sea Dweller as a "dive watch" because it lacks a depth gauge? Or maybe we should DQ either version of the Frogman as a "diver's watch" because it lacks a helium escape valve? 😁 🤓

Furthermore, in my hundreds of dives, I never even used a "dive watch" to actually time my dives. The computer did that. If I was wearing a watch (a $400 Tag Heuer "Formula 1" at the time), it was simply part of the diving "costume." But, I wasn't actually using it to monitor my dive time.

So, the notion that the digital Frogman is the domain of real scuba divers because of the built-in depth gauge is rather silly. Pick the watch you like and enjoy it in good health.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Can't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Sorry, this is completely unrelated, but mentions of depth gauge, mechanical watches, and BP FF had my mind recalling back to this beast of a watch, an X Fathoms with a mechanical depth gauge.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Follow up, looks like GWF-1000s are at a reasonable price, how does that version stack up versus the newer/older versions
1. Do you like how it looks? It’s
2. It’s a stainless steel DLC screwback.
3. It has tide / moonphase.
4. It has a manual dive timer plus a little logbook memory.
5. It has solar / MB6 plus world time plus standard stopwatch, timer, and alarm features.

if those features are what you want, then it’s exactly the watch for you.

It’s just a watch. If it doesn’t have what YOU want then YOU will get bored with it.

The downside of all the frogmen have always been the bezels and straps. Not cheap and not always available after 10 or 15 years. While that’s true of most G-Shocks, you should take that into account.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Sorry, this is completely unrelated, but mentions of depth gauge, mechanical watches, and BP FF had my mind recalling back to this beast of a watch, an X Fathoms with a mechanical depth gauge.
What that really is.... is a mechanical depth gauge with a built-in watch! LOL! The old school wrist-borne mechanical depth gauges were that big (or bigger).

So, they took a mechanical depth gauge and added a watch to it... all for the low, low price of $40,700! LOL! Holy crap! Ain't NO diver... a very wealthy diver, mind you.... going to bang this thing around coral reefs.

But, yeah, it's cool.

If I ever get back into diving, I'll be using a computer again... not a watch... for monitoring and calculating life-critical parameters of the dive.

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
I was an avid diver for many many years. Dive watches don't have depth gauges. The depth gauge on the digital Frogman is nothing more than a novelty. I don't know, but I suspect it's the only dive watch with a depth gauge.
There are many Citizen dive watches over the years that have a depth gauge, both analog and ana-digi (not sure about digital).

41 - 60 of 100 Posts