WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
There are many Citizen dive watches over the years that have a depth gauge, both analog and ana-digi (not sure about digital).
I've never seen one "in the wild." I don't know a single diver that would use such a watch as a dive instrument. Before dive computers (mid 80s?), we had dedicated (and more importantly... accurate) dedicated depth gauges. Since your very life (or at least health) depends on accurate depth awareness, I cannot imagine depending on a novelty depth gauge built into a watch.

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
I've never seen one "in the wild." I don't know a single diver that would use such a watch as a dive instrument. Before dive computers (mid 80s?), we had dedicated (and more importantly... accurate) dedicated depth gauges. Since your very life (or at least health) depends on accurate depth awareness, I cannot imagine depending on a novelty depth gauge built into a watch.
I didn't say you should use one as a dive instrument, simply that your statement that the GWF-D1000 is the only dive watch with a depth gauge is incorrect.

Here's a relatively modern Citizen with that feature (BJ2128-05E). The outer chapter ring indicates the depth in meters. There are many older Citizens going back 30 years or so that have a depth gauge.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I didn't say you should use one as a dive instrument, simply that your statement that the GWF-D1000 is the only dive watch with a depth gauge is incorrect.
I did not make any such statement. For reference here's exactly what I said:

I don't know, but I suspect it's the only dive watch with a depth gauge.
It was the only one I was aware of. Certainly, I cannot be cognizant of every watch on the market throughout history. :) That's why I prefaced my comment with... "I don't know, but I suspect..."

Nevertheless, my main point stands, which is: The notion of a built-in depth gauge as a QUALIFICATION for "dive watch" designation is laughable. That's what has been implied in some of the arguments advocating for the digital version of the Frogman.

I can play semantics and pedantry with the best of them. 🤓

But now I know there are other depth gauge watches. 😎 (y)

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Well, this has escalated quickly, haha.

Again, not a diver, so the feature set of either will be overkill for pool/playing in the surf, and that's ok. Also, and let's be honest, it's for peacocking as well. I do like the analog for that, and bluetooth functionality is interesting.

But, Digital seems to be the overwhelming consensus among owners.

Follow up, looks like GWF-1000s are at a reasonable price, how does that version stack up versus the newer/older versions that cost roughly double? Colorways are not significant decision drivers for me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Peacocking = Analog. Have you considered other large analog Gs? Any thoughts on the GWG-1000 or be GST/MTG/MRG?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Peacocking = Analog. Have you considered other large analog Gs? Any thoughts on the GWG-1000 or be GST/MTG/MRG?
Good points. I have thought about the GWG, but if going analog to analog I do like the looks of the frog. I have the non solar GWG (GG), and honestly it doesn't get much wear. Not sure why, maybe some Jedi mind trick about it not being a GWG. I don't think I'd get another G anything without solar, either.

Interesting insight on the MTG/MRG, the price points aren't significantly different to a retail analog frog.

Starting to get analysis paralysis,

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Good points. I have thought about the GWG, but if going analog to analog I do like the looks of the frog. I have the non solar GWG (GG), and honestly it doesn't get much wear. Not sure why, maybe some Jedi mind trick about it not being a GWG. I don't think I'd get another G anything without solar, either.

Interesting insight on the MTG/MRG, the price points aren't significantly different to a retail analog frog.

Bah! Just pull the trigger!! :whistle:

The Ana-Frog is a very nice looking watch. But, it's a bold watch. One of the things I really like about it is how easy it is to read. Big dial and big broad hands.

·
Premium Member
4,038 Posts
There are many Citizen dive watches over the years that have a depth gauge, both analog and ana-digi (not sure about digital).
To Gary’s point, the Citizen Aqualand Solar-Tech introduced in 1994 - world’s first solar dive watch with automated depth gauge and alert system . Certainly one of the finest vintage watches in my collection from a historical perspective. But to Racers point, I suspect he is largely correct as far as ‘dive computers’ being the choice of most divers as early as the mid-1980’s. From that perspective a dive watch incorporating a depth gauge and alert system would have/could have been a last recourse safety measure for reference if needed. Absolutely a great and informative discussion all.

Again, fantastic discussion!! Have a great day all!!, judg69

·
Registered
921 Posts

Honestly, they're very different watches. I still can't figure out exactly what your criteria are. There's no right or wrong answer here. It's a watch! If you don't like it, sell it ;)

The D1000 is difficult to wear unless your wrist is more than 7.5". Also, it's difficult to dress "up or down". However, it does look very cool.

The A1000 is better designed for a range of wrist sizes and is more like a "dress diver" (as crazy as that sounds) given that (to an extent) you can dress it up and down. I think it's better finished, too.

As divers have pointed out, neither is fit for anything other than "dive decoration" (great phrase, @Racer88).

So (as should always be the case with watch purchases) I reckon you should just buy what sings to you.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
To Gary’s point, the Citizen Aqualand Solar-Tech introduced in 1994 - world’s first solar dive watch with automated depth gauge and alert system . Certainly one of the finest vintage watches in my collection from a historical perspective. But to Racers point, I suspect he is largely correct as far as ‘dive computers’ being the choice of most divers as early as the mid-1980’s. From that perspective a dive watch incorporating a depth gauge and alert system would have/could have been a last recourse safety measure for reference if needed. Absolutely a great and informative discussion all. View attachment 15607884 View attachment 15607889 View attachment 15607891

Again, fantastic discussion!! Have a great day all!!, judg69
That's a cool looking watch!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Thanks all, great discussion points! I know at the end of the day it's all about what I like and what watch "speaks" to me. As many of you can identify with though, it's often more than one speaks at once and I'm no millionaire. Great to have perspectives from folks with direct experience.

·
Registered
844 Posts
As divers have pointed out, neither is fit for anything other than "dive decoration" (great phrase, @Racer88).
The GWF-D1000 is NOT “dive decoration”. How incredibly glib.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Sorry, this is completely unrelated, but mentions of depth gauge, mechanical watches, and BP FF had my mind recalling back to this beast of a watch, an X Fathoms with a mechanical depth gauge.
Oris makes one, too. And you don't need to fork over your mortgage for it, although not exactly cheap either.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Somewhat off topic, but just realized looking at the watch face from directly overhead, the Frogman profile actually LOOKS like a frog when viewing the reptile from above. Button guards on left representative of bugged out eyes, asymmetric case like an asymmetric frog body, wrapped sensor area the tail, legs folded underneath.

Is this an, um yeah what took you so long, moment? Or a revelation of form and function?

Either way have one in the mail, will post up what I got (analog or digital) hopefully before this weekend.

Thanks all!

61 - 80 of 100 Posts