WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Which one?

• The JLC!

Votes: 39 75.0%
  • The Breguet!

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Something else (please mention choice) ...

Votes: 1 1.9%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I've mentioned in a couple of threads before, I'm aggressively whittling down my collection (planning to get rid of about 9-10 watches by the end of the month) and get a single watch in exchange. The contenders as of now (I don't think this will change, but stranger things have happened :-d) ...

JLC Master Memovox with the cal. 956

Breguet Type XXI with the cal. 584

(both images borrowed)

I know both these watches are completely different, but for me they're available at a similar pricepoint.

Arguments for the JLC
1. Don't have a mechanical watch with an alarm, can't think of any better
2. Great movement, very practical complication and not a common one
3. The watch looks great, perhaps a bit formal, but I foresee being able to wear it in any setting bar sporting activities
4. It's a JLC!

Arguments for the Breguet
1. I like chronographs, and this is a fine example
2. Central minute totalizer, flyback seconds, 12-hour totalizer, and 24-hour display at "3" which can be used for a 2nd time zone
3. Looks great, and it is a Breguet!

Both the watches have some pedigree and history, they look really good and are practically near best their type (perhaps the JLC more so than the Breguet). Well, I probably have about two weeks before I make the plunge ...

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
JLC. Classic look that will last much longer than the Breguet. It is understated and will not draw a ton of attention from anyone that does not know watches. The Breguet is just too busy. I do not like the color, or the date at 6 (interferes with reading chrono). I think you may have made a mistake, the Breguet is not a 24 hour totalizer, that is a 24 hour time display at 3. If it were not for the date at 6 and the dial color on the Breguet, it would be a much closer call.

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
I haven't voted (yet) because it's such a tough one. I would love a mechanical alarm and I think it would be a very useful complication, but I prefer the looks of the Breguet. So I've been of no help - you're welcome :-d

Oh to have such a hard decision to make ;-)

Did you change your avatar?! I don't like it when people do that! :-(

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
The Breguet.

As much as I recognize how iconic the "Memovox" is for JLC, I have never found an alarm complication something I used.

OTOH, the Breguet is the only company making an integrated construction central minute accumulator chrono at this time. Buy it. Lemania lives on...

OTOTOH, some might say a JLC Memovox should be part of any collection, and I suspect it will hold its value better, making it easier to flip later for a Breguet XXII....

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, my mistake. I meant to say 12 hour totalizer and 24 hour display that can be used for a 2nd time zone.

JLC. Classic look that will last much longer than the Breguet. It is understated and will not draw a ton of attention from anyone that does not know watches. The Breguet is just too busy. I do not like the color, or the date at 6 (interferes with reading chrono). I think you may have made a mistake, the Breguet is not a 24 hour totalizer, that is a 24 hour time display at 3. If it were not for the date at 6 and the dial color on the Breguet, it would be a much closer call.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Hi,

Given these choices, I would select the JLC. It is the timeless classic IMO.

:)

Bob

As I've mentioned in a couple of threads before, I'm aggressively whittling down my collection (planning to get rid of about 9-10 watches by the end of the month) and get a single watch in exchange. The contenders as of now (I don't think this will change, but stranger things have happened :-d) ...

JLC Master Memovox with the cal. 956

Breguet Type XXI with the cal. 584

(both images borrowed)

I know both these watches are completely different, but for me they're available at a similar pricepoint.

Arguments for the JLC
1. Don't have a mechanical watch with an alarm, can't think of any better
2. Great movement, very practical complication and not a common one
3. The watch looks great, perhaps a bit formal, but I foresee being able to wear it in any setting bar sporting activities
4. It's a JLC!

Arguments for the Breguet
1. I like chronographs, and this is a fine example
2. Central minute totalizer, flyback seconds, 24-hour totalizer which can be used for a 2nd time zone
3. Looks great, and it is a Breguet!

Both the watches have some pedigree and history, they look really good and are practically near best their type (perhaps the JLC more so than the Breguet). Well, I probably have about two weeks before I make the plunge ...

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would go JLC all the way.
There are a lot of things I just don't get about the Breguet. The coin edge bezel and case seem awkward, and I'm not a fan of how all three sub dials have different style hands. In my opinion this one doesn't even hold a candle to the chronos you already have in your collection.
I also love simple elegance, which pretty much sums up the JLC.
-rob

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know, a bit of a dilemma for me ... both watches are quite special.

Sorry about the avatar change, got tired of the old one ;-)

I haven't voted (yet) because it's such a tough one. I would love a mechanical alarm and I think it would be a very useful complication, but I prefer the looks of the Breguet. So I've been of no help - you're welcome :-d

Oh to have such a hard decision to make ;-)

Did you change your avatar?! I don't like it when people do that! :-(

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
You can't lose either way. With out looking at them in person I'm leaning towards the Breguet. For no good reason other than I prefer the looks of it.

RS

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for your opinions, gents!

I would go JLC all the way.
There are a lot of things I just don't get about the Breguet. The coin edge bezel and case seem awkward, and I'm not a fan of how all three sub dials have different style hands. In my opinion this one doesn't even hold a candle to the chronos you already have in your collection.
I also love simple elegance, which pretty much sums up the JLC.
-rob
You can't lose either way. With out looking at them in person I'm leaning towards the Breguet. For no good reason other than I prefer the looks of it.

RS
Hi,

Given these choices, I would select the JLC. It is the timeless classic IMO.

:)

Bob

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I kind of had an inkling that you'd suggest the Breguet ;-)

The Breguet.

As much as I recognize how iconic the "Memovox" is for JLC, I have never found an alarm complication something I used.

OTOH, the Breguet is the only company making an integrated construction central minute accumulator chrono at this time. Buy it. Lemania lives on...

OTOTOH, some might say a JLC Memovox should be part of any collection, and I suspect it will hold its value better, making it easier to flip later for a Breguet XXII....

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
My vote goes to the Breguet. I used to have a Type XX Aeronavale and there is something about the quality (not that JLC isn't high quality) and the feel. I can't really explain it but you have to feel it on the wrist to understand.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
you can't lose with either. i would go upon the way you dress. the breguet is more casual. the jlc dressier. if you dress for work, get the JLC; if not go breguet.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
JLC. A timeless classic.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
How closely does the XXI resemble the XX? My uncle owns a Breguet XX Aeronavale (not sure about the spelling) in blue and I found it so-so. The dial looked much busier in real life. There was a ton of reflection because the case and bracelet were very shiny and highlighted a lot of swirls. The domed crystal was nice but I wondered if there was any AR because it also reflected a lot of light.

The JLC struck as much classier after viewing it at the AD so that would be my choice

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I kind of had an inkling that you'd suggest the Breguet ;-)
Yep, but it is also a bit deeper than just being after a Breguet.

I've been thinking a JLC Memovox needs to be part of my collection. I've looked at a couple, and I just can't get excited by them. I love the design, but the alarm reminds me too much of a wind up alarm clock which just seems so wrong to me.

Have you played with a Memovox and heard the alarm?

I also always feel like if I'm going to go after a specific complication, I have to check out the alternatives like the AS5007, or the RT Cricket. Have you done this? What your take?

·
Banned
585 Posts
It's no contest. JLC all the way.

Ali

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
It has to be the JLC for me.

cheers,
Jake.

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
I'm considering a similar move, selling several pieces for one higher quality watch to wear most of the time. My current favourite at this point is one of the new 38mm Zenith El Primero's. I think they are a great combination of dressy/sporty resulting in a very versatile chronograph.

The Breguet is more sporty and I think less versatile. That may suit you, if you have another watch for dressier wear. Otherwise, if it is to be more of an all purpose watch I'd go with the JLC out of those two.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts