WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Enzotemko

Re: You can WIN a MORPHEUS Culinary Watch
Please let me win the watch so I can give it to my son. He is a culinary student at the CIA - Culinary Institute of America in New York. What is amazing about that is the kid never did well in high school. Never read. Never did homework, AND, he has a handicap that I'll keep a secret. Well, he did love to cook, so we sent him to the CIA even though it is a TOUGH school. We took a chance that he could hack it.

Miracle of miracles, he completed his first year and did very well. We were so proud of him. And then, this summer, he is doing an 'externship' where he has to work for a catering service - working ten hour days six days a week.

That kid deserves something nice. Now, here is the OTHER reason he should get the watch: I GAVE HIM A FAKE ROLEX that he wears every day!!! Why did I do this? Because I wanted him to share in my watch hobby. He never wore a watch before - EVER. Like many young kids he says, "Hey, I've got a cell phone, why do I need a watch?" But he put on that fake Rolex and has worn it every day since! Now I feel really bad and have to make it up to him. My heart was in the right place - I figured I'd let him know and give him a REAL watch soon enough. I guess I wanted to see if he really would wear it.

AND HE DOES! I've got to make it up to the poor kid. All his hard work and there he is with a $30 fake Rolex from Canal Street.

So please let me give him this watch. It would mean a great deal to him to symbolize all that he has accomplished with his hard work. And, it would give me a chance to break the bad news about the old watch with the GOOD NEWS that the good people here thought he should have a REAL watch - and a congratulations for all his study, long hours and effort.

Thanks for listening and thanks for the offer.

Enzo

CONGRATULATIONS! Please send me your full name, address and phone number (required for the shipping) to my admin[at]watchuseek.com e-mail address.

WIN a Morpheus Culinary Watch!
How? Simple! Reply to this thread and tell us why you want to win the Culinary watch. We will pick a winner at the end of August.

Yes, another new watch brand...

A new brand has been launched: the 'Culinary' watch dedicated to those passionate about the art of cooking. Features:
  • Many months of extensive design work went into the development of The Culinary. Our creative staff, with experience in product design and the professional culinary field, have produced a timepiece with both the elegance of a fine watch and a captivating theme dedicated to the art of cooking. The Culinary features a concentric circle texture on the dial, calling out the same relief found in fine cookware. The shape of the case itself resembles a skillet, and the crown and pushers are formed in the style of high end oven or cook top knobs. Additional design aspects include the handle shaped crown protector and the bolt heads detailing the connection of the band arms to the case.
  • This fully custom watch features a superbly accurate Swiss ISA movement with an alarm function for timing dishes, and a battery power meter. This Culinary case is made in hardened 316 stainless steel and is water resistant to 5 atm, with luminous hands. The crystal is synthetic sapphire, a super hard material usually found in much more expensive watches. 41.5mm case.
This is the first of a line of watches Morpheus will be producing over the coming year, with their next timepiece being Swiss made and set for release in September.

The owners have been in the art publishing/exhibition business for twenty years and are now expanding their creative energies to designing watches.

www.morpheuswatches.com/

Related link: www.morpheuswatches.com
Please read Paul Hubbard's review at https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=289366

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re: MORPHEUS, The Culinary Watch

Personally, I don't think it is an attractive watch. The sub-dials are too small and concentrated in the centre (I call it the "cross-eyed" look, something you often see in fashion watches where a small movement has been stuffed into an over-sized case). The dial looks too busy; not something a chef working in a high-stress environment would be able to read with a fleeting glance.

The alarm looks useful, but I think something like a quick-set countdown timer would be more useful. Let's say there's a button somewhere that each time it's pressed adds 30 seconds onto a total and immediately begins counting down once it's left alone. This would be easy to use without having to look at the watch or fiddle with different buttons. If you wanted to abort the countdown you could just press and hold the same button for a few seconds. I don't know if there's any movement out there that actually does that though.

·
Registered
37,143 Posts

Hmm... interesting. A watch made for cooking fans huh? Priced affordably but not really my cuppa.

·
Registered
414 Posts

The ad says that the company worked for a year with 'culinary professionals' to design the watch but I can't believe that these 'professionals' were actually cooks if they chose dual GMT over some kind of chronograph instead or a stopwatch (if a stopwatch is even possible) complication.

Sure this watch may appeal if you run several restaurants in different countries but I'd imagine that if that is the case then you can afford something quite a bit more high end.

It's a marketing exercise that hasn't been researched enough.

·
Registered
913 Posts

Fantastic idea, since cooking is very time sensitive, but I feel the "cooking theme" of the watch is predominantly aesthetic rather than actual function. As mentioned, a large subdial with 30-60 minute chronograph would be very useful, I think, as would an alarm function (which the watch seems to have).

5 ATM water resistance seems a bit low, but then again, I've never killed a watch from water entering it.

If I were designing a cooking themed watch, it would most certainly be quartz for shock resistance, and have two 30 minute chronograph dials, and a rotating bezel for longer timing. I've seen several watches with 2 movements in it, so I don't think it would be all that difficult...

·
Registered
1,684 Posts

Yes, another new watch brand...

But I like the idea. And I want this Culinary Watch. Because I cook. And I am damn good in it.
And even more, I have my best friend who cooks very well too, and it could be no better present to a friend.
So, I am IN.
Igor

·
Registered
29 Posts

here is why I think I should win it.

1) I really like it. I would smile every time I put it on!
2) I don't have much of a collection, and this would be a great addition. Especially for a poor college student trying to satiate his watch obsession.
3) I cook a lot.
4) I know a chef who happens to be a complete jerk, I always try to be nice to him but to no avail. I want to make him jealous.
5) I cook a lot, believe me.
6) No, I am not overweight.

7) I like anything named Morpheus!

:-d Please let me win!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts

I disagree with many of the above posters - I think that it is a beautiful watch.

I actually have just enrolled in culinary classes with my father, as I have always been interested in cooking. I think that the battery power reserve is a great feature, and looks great mixed in with the other subdials. The subtle cooking themes that they have integrated truly add character and a uniqueness to their watch. I really hope I can win this awesome watch, so that I can share it at the cooking classes!

Please count me in :-!

Thank you

·
Registered
2,037 Posts

I want one, because I've never got anything for free in my life without tying a pork chop around my neck. So a Culinary watch ought to be my just desserts! :roll:

-T

·
Registered
6,817 Posts

I LOOOVE the sides of the case! :p

I think i deserve this watch since i just started learning how to properly cook proper meals (not only cereal & hot dogs). This watch would help me in my new quest for culinary adventure and be my companion through endless hours of trial and error (hopefully not much error). :)|>

This watch would protect my dainty wrist from any spatter of anything hot whilst said culinary adventures, and also the 41.5mm case will provide something to use as a blocking shield once my girlfriend begins to hit me with a spoon after i offer her a non-delicious meal to test. :oops:

Also once i become a world-renound top chef and be on the cover of all to cool cooking magazines, i will roll my left sleeve up and provide a nice wrist shot of my sweet Morpheus. Free advertising? No. More like a special thank you. :thanks

Without this watch i will less of a chef, and have a left wrist open to the elements, in danger. Also no blocking device from any attacks from the family and friends that will be tasting my evolving culinary masterpieces. b-)

Sincerely,
Dominik

·
Registered
445 Posts

I hate cooking. Winning this could perheps ignite my Culinary vein. ;-)

·
Registered
620 Posts

You guys crack me up!! Were all so shallow that we gotta beg to win this watch.............

Well mark me down as shallow too!!!
I quite like the look of this watch :-!

And i work with lots of great food on a daily basis :-d

·
Registered
114 Posts

I should win this watch not because I am a culinary expert (which I am most certainly not!), but because I love to eat! I would wear it as a tribute to all the people that make my joy of eating possible.
Oh, I would also promise to wear it whenever I am watching a cooking show on TV, one of my other goofy passions.
Thank you,
Dennis

·
Registered
677 Posts

i should win this watch because i am executive chef of my own restaurant, a pastry chef, and a Restaurateur.

i wear my watches...while doing all short of activity ( cooking, meeting with clients, entertaining people while dining in, bussiness trips ect ect)
some people match their watches with their favorite shirt...i match my watch to my chef uniform :-d

i love the smell of garlic, onion and sweet on my watch.....:-!
i named one off my dessert as SINN ( its rich chocolate dessert very sin-ful! )
and im not afraid to damage any of my watches during cooking!

·
Banned
7,645 Posts

Winning this could perheps ignite my Culinary vein. ;-)
Uh, that sounds like it would be pretty painful! :think:

Well mark me down as shallow too!!!
You got it - we now consider you shallow along with the rest of us. :-!

I want one, because I've never got anything for free in my life without tying a pork chop around my neck. So a Culinary watch ought to be my just desserts! :roll:

-T
Tying a pork chop around your neck probably won't get you anything but attacked by a pack of ravenous animals - so stop it immediately!

Okay, here's why I should win the watch:
- I'm more likely to blow up the grill than cook a decent steak and this would eliminate the guess work on flipping.
- I appreciate watches of all price points and types regardless of the brand being 250 years old or 250 minutes old.
- A WIS can never have too many watches!
- I cook fish a lot and it's very time sensitive. Overcooked fish is horrible; undercooked is a health hazard.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts

I don't cook. I don't know how to cook. I have a wife who loves to cook and does so extremely well. I would like this watch to give to my wife to thank her for the many thousands of meals she has prepared for me. This would make her happy which would then allow me to buy more watches!
N

P.S. It's a beautiful watch.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts

Tying a pork chop around your neck probably won't get you anything but attacked by a pack of ravenous animals - so stop it immediately!

That is how I got all my dates, made a whole bunch of friends, and got the dog to play with me. Simple, but effective.

-T

J

·
0 Posts

I can boil water after two hours of instruction at the English Culinary Institute. I need that watch!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts