WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
9,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -

Just got mine, #25/50. The lovely ladies down at reception called me about 10 minutes ago, and I'm wearing it right now. Helps, of course, that I am near Frankfurt and Pforzheim is not far away...

Hot diggggggggggggggggggity damn. I'm at work, no pictures until tonight or maybe even tomorrow.

It's not just nice: it's frackin' fantastic. :-!

The leather bands that come with it are rather stiff, but that's appropriate for the watch. It wears large, but not too large: the lugs are true to the original (as far as I can tell), which means that the watch strap hangs almost directly down from the lugs.

The finish is just fantastic: it looks and feels like good parkerized steel, and this is extremely well done. |>|> Extremely well done.

The face is extremely solid, with no bleeding of the numbers or fine markings: there is a wonderful, huge, absolutely perfect dollop of lume on the triangle at the 12 that has just got to be seen. |>

The crown is perfectly done as well and very proportional. |>

The hands: here is my only real beef. :roll: The hours hand is very broad and the lume is just a tad uneven: you can see a slight depression in the middle of the lume. I've got lots of watches like this, and it's a function of putting in slightly less lume than could be applied: you could put in, roughly speaking, around 150 picoliters or so additional lume, but you have then the problem of multiple layers of lume: you have to deal with this by applying multiple coats, then sanding flat and applying a surface coating.

But that would be, for this watch, inappropriate: it's not supposed to be a modern version, but rather as accurate a hommage as possible, and I am perfectly happy with the lume on the hands as is. It is more accurate than the lume you would, for instance, find on a modern-day Seiko or other high-lume watches.

The hands themselves are flat, flat, flat, light-eating matte black on the edges; this is really nicely done. |>

Like I said, pictures when I get home or tomorrow, depending on when I get home.

And a HUGE thank you to Bhanu and the folks at Lacher for this fantastic watch. I am EXTREMELY pleased and I dare say that this is a complete and total fantastic success. And thanks to everyone here who has helped make this watch possible:

WUS ROCKS
. :-!

JohnF

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Re: And They Start Arriving...

Congrats John!!

I hope to be able to pick up my watch next week in Pforzheim.
The second batch (#30 - #50) was to be engraved this week.

Hoping to get #46 soon,

Volker

·
Registered
9,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Hi -

Cool.

And I forget to mention the rest of the lume: absolutely perfect. Awesome... :)

Seconds hand - check!
Minutes hand - check!
Hours hand - check (and you can't see the difference in lume...)
10, 20, 30, 40, 50 - check!
dots of the hours - check!
triangle at 12 - check!

Perfect!

:)

JohnF

·
Registered
1,178 Posts

Oh no, I missed the Fedex truck this morning :-(, have to wait til Saturday to pick it up at Fedex station

·
Registered
668 Posts

Impatient my nature, I emailed Mr. Pfeiffer this afternoon asking about shipping.

Seems nr. 9 left Germany via DHL on Sept. 30!

So DHL watches are enroute too! :-!

:-d:-d:-d

·
Registered
407 Posts

I also missed my FedEx truck this morning, but I'm told I can pick it up at the local FedEx hub today between 5pm and 9pm. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts

This is fantastic! I just got FedEx news #37 will be here next week. Really looking forward to this one

Glen

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

·
Registered
9,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Hi -

And it's running exactly 1 second fast after 7 hours, that's ... ... ... 3.42 s fast for 24 hours...

JohnF

PS: First pix in about 2 hours...

·
Registered
54 Posts

Number 16/50 has arrived! It's a beautiful watch and complements my Stowa Airman No Logo very nicely. As John mentioned, the lume on the triangle is impressive! I wasn't crazy about the crown in the photos and mockups we've seen but I like it much better in the flesh!

Big thanks to everybody that made this happen! :-!

Here are a few poor photos:

Attachments

·
Banned
21,244 Posts

Just got the FedEx Tracking number!

·
Watchuseek Journalist
1,781 Posts

I just received mine :-!

First impressions were WOW! This watch has far exceed my expectations.

The case, crown, and the dial are so amazigly finished and appear as the original. The hands are still a work in progress.

I placed the watch in one my picture below next to Archimede PO and Stowa Airman (still waiting on my FO LE). You can see the clear difference in case color and dial printing.

So, here are some quick pictures:

These pics don't do it justice. I will post better pics tomorrow.

Cheers,
Bhanu

·
Registered
668 Posts

Great pics Bhanu! Thanks a thousand times over for your fantastic work making this possible! :thanks

One question: the blue hands on your Archimede are much more blue than on your Stowa. Are the painted? If yes, they clearly show our options for the hand project!

Cheers! :-d

·
Registered
9,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

And as promised here are a few preliminary snaps...

JohnF

·
Watchuseek Journalist
1,781 Posts

:thanks but all the credit goes to WUS members and Laco for the execution.

Yes, the Archimede PO hands are painted blue where are Stowa FO LE hands are steel blue. I absolutely agree that replacing the hands with blue hands will enhance the Laco.

Cheers,
Bhanu

·
Banned
21,244 Posts

You lucky guys that already got yours, will you change you strap to the proper one?
IMHO, black strap does not suit this watch. Aged brown pilots rules!!

·
Registered
9,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Hi -

Nope.

The black works very, very well. Besides, I haven't figured out how the other strap works... :)

JohnF

1 - 20 of 103 Posts