WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Angular Momentum Dive-Tec/500 after testing

6K views 32 replies 27 participants last post by  arutlosjr11 
#1 · (Edited)
Angular Momentum has released pictures of the "well bespoken" Dive-Tec/500 watch after a hard fife month of test. Click the image to download the 3 MB PDF file containing the images of the watch after the test.

Related link: www.angularmomentum.com

See less See more
#3 ·
I still don't know what to make of this watch. I know that I should hate it, and yet I'm still drawn in... One thing is for sure, it paves its own way in the design department.

Regards,
Adam

#25 ·
um... well... er... another I'm not too sure what to think of this watch. I too find it so ugly that I am highly liking it. It seems to tickle my fancy in places I never knew I had any fancy to be tickled. Going to have to read more about this one.

Thanks for posting it :-!
I couldn't have said it better myself.

The founder of Ventura Watches made a statement once about the "sickening nostalgia'" inherent ito the Swiss watch industry. He had a valid point insofar as that many (most?) watches are always referencing design cues from yesteryear (some like Breguet are echoing design elements that are two or three hundreds years old). I admire that this watch does not do that....uh...at all On the other hand, it did not result in an attractive watch either.

I am not sure if it's the testing but it seems to have a very unfinished, prototype look to it - which is my main issue with it at that price. I don't mind unusual style - but at that price - i would expect it to look well finished.

I can see a definite market for watches like this. For people who are more into design or art than horology.

#5 ·
#12 · (Edited)
I actually think some of their other watches are kind of interesting looking. Definitely unique, which I think is a good thing considering how many companies borrow design cues from each other. This one in particular is pretty cool and it looks like no other watch. The company says their proprietary lume will glow for 35 hours and it's not radioactive like Tritium.

Attachments

#9 ·
I wonder... is that a prototype?
what exactly is involved in the testing they did?
I ask cuz the case work looks like hell on it as does
the finish on the hands and pretty much all of it.
The only cool or nice thing is the lume, there's lots of it.
and, for $5k, they must be smokin some 'rock'. :think:

my vote... <|

#10 ·
That thing reminds me of a Seinfeld episode. :think:

"I sense great vulnerability. A man-child crying out for love. An innocent orphan in the post-modern world."
"I see a parasite. A sexually depraved miscreant who is seeking only to gratify his basest and most immediate urges."
"His struggle is man's struggle. He lifts my spirit."
"He is a loathesome, offensive brute. Yet I can't look away."
"He transcends time and space."
"He sickens me."
"I love it."
"Me too."

#15 ·
IMO that is one ugly watch. I hope that is an early stage prototype. As a designer I can see what they are trying for but this just looks really unrefined. Seems like the spent all their time on testing rather than making it at least somewhat attractive.

#17 ·
I don't like the strap, and it doesn't look like it's easy to change. I wish it didn't have that knob on top, and it was way too much lume- probably a first here- it would look better without lume on the dial IMO, in fact I would remove all the blue lume except on the hour hand, or maybe put green lume on the hour hand. The lume on the crown is rally cool. I also like the used and abused look. It could use some improvements...

#26 ·
I agree with both of you on this piece.
As for the look of it being very unfinished and prototype.. ish according to the press release from the company this was done on purpose so that no two look alike on the exterior.
I am not trying to defend this brand just keeping an open mind.tc

#28 ·
hi,

Angular Momentum Freehand
FREEHAND - Beryllium Diver - MAGNUS
DIVE-TEC/500

are these quality watches

over priced from what i see, but being different costs. who sales?

any similar custom pieces...?

thanks
Angular Momentum, these guys are true artisan watchmakers. They have many similar pieces.

Here is their website

Freehand-Timepieces collection - angular momentum

This is a watches7 link that shows the new "Mini Magnus"

Watches 7

They do not make watches, they create them.

#29 ·
I actually think it is cool looking and very original. That said, I wouldn't pay more than a few hundred for one for what that's worth.

As for their other pieces posted here, yes, those are hideous, but I love my Angular Momentum Illum/II that I got about 10 years ago. My wonderful wife actually had to put up with me showing her pics of it all the time and she decided to surprise me with it, so she contacted you, Ernie, and you helped her get one for me through Angular Momentum.

Here are a few pics of mine - I still love it.

#31 ·
Ha, I can't argue with you on that - it is different, that's for sure. I can appreciate the industrial design of it, but it certainly isn't my thing. I see it as more of an art piece than anything wearable or practical. I wasn't trying to hijack the thread, but point out that not all their watches are like the one this thread was created for, nor the other strange one pictured above mine. :^D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.