WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!!!

I will post pictures when I'm done, but what is this logo?
TWCo - Tavannes? I looked on mikrolisk, but Tavannes logos listed there do not look like this...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
German silver hallmark, imperial crown and 800/1000.

Too bad you are just showing this one image of the logo, usually not enough to get a further lead, possibly in connection with the watchmaker.

I have seen the exact logo in a Tavannes watch (this one in gold 585/1000). Tavannes is Swiss, but watches in gold or silver, exported to Germany, had German hallmarks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
German silver hallmark, imperial crown and 800/1000.

Too bad you are just showing this one image of the logo, usually not enough to get a further lead, possibly in connection with the watchmaker.

I have seen the exact logo in a Tavannes watch. Tavannes is Swiss, but watches in gold or silver, exported to Germany, had German hallmarks.
Yes, actually "crescent and crown"

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Finally - in the web I've found an identical movement marked Tavannes Watch Co. on the top plate. So yes, it's an early Tavannes :)

I'll post details of the movement today... or maybe tomorrow. Depending on the time I have...

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, so on wit today's catch. Like I said -at first I did not know it was a Tavannes, as it's almost unmarked, but in fact - it is, and a quite early one.
No marking on the dial, no marking on the movement and just one marking - the TWCo logo - on the caseback.
German markings mean 15 jewels lever.
The case is 0.800 (80%) silver and has - pretty much worn off - gilded rings both sides…

DSC00364.JPG

In fact - such finish was very popular in Swiss made mid-grade watches of the era.

Tavannes Watch Co. was established in 1891 in Switzerland and soon became one of the world's biggest watchmakers. I'm not going to bore you to death here - if someone wants to get aquainted with company's history, here it is:

https://www.tavanneswatches.com/history

Like I said - I did not know what I was buying. I just bought this watch because it was ANKER, it had a plates' layout I've never seen before and it seemed reasonably high quality.

In the car, I noticed the setting was not working.
Now I'm very happy, that I had not checked the setting before the transaction, as I would have resigned, and this would have been a mistake.

The setting issue was due to the broken minute wheel and... minute wheel post.

DSC00332.JPG

I had to find a matching minute wheel and that's the best I could get.
I think I could transplant the original, steel small gear to the new minute wheel, but I waited to see if it worked or no...
I drilled the plate for a new post.
Having too little time to make a post, I used an old taper pin:

DSC00336.JPG

I had to punch this in, so no nice, rounded tip here, just a crude post for the minute wheel.
Good enough for me.

Assembling.
I forgot to take picture - there is a click and a click spring under the barrel, obviously…

DSC00342.JPG

Keyless work parts… rocker bar style, button operated…

DSC00349.JPG

I put the dial on (3 feet, screws on the side) early, very eager to see if the setting works correctly.
In fact - id works, so I left the new minute wheel be, despite the slightly short teeth of the smaller gear.
There is plenty of tolerance in the motion works, not THAT important…

Having foolishly installing the dial early, I lubricated the escapement bearings from the top.
It's not exactly correct, bot works equally good, so… what the heck ;)

DSC00355.JPG

Now - the case has a huge bump mark on one side, so the balance staff is likely a replacement.
Thus, it has a tad too much endshake, and the hairspring is somewhat coned despite the stud being level with the plate.

Works fine.

DSC00372.JPG

A very nice, gilded, fine quality movement.
The edges of the plates, the jewel holes, all nicely finished.
The balance appears to be gold plated, and so the train wheels.

A very nice example of early Tavannes - I'm really glad I bought it, especially that it was - in fact - quite cheap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts