WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Interesting idea! I have to dig through my collection and see if I can up with anything.

The only thing I remember off-hand is the 60th anniversary of a new world record for winding up an automatic watch. In 1957, a young man managed to do this in 2:43 minutes just by shaking around his left arm (the simultaneous movements of the right arm helps to keep balance).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj0Rz-uP4Mk

It was the same year (oh, here we have an anniversary!) when Hamilton came out with the world’s first electric watch (and the first one with a battery inside), the Hamilton Electric 500, and it was the same young man, who made the model Ventura world famous, when he wore it in 1961 in the movie ‘Blue Hawaii’. No need for winding anymore and the songs became a lot less hectic, like the Hawaiian Wedding Song, Can't Help Falling In Love, Moonlight Swim or Ku-u-i-po and others.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,195 Posts
70th anniversary of the introduction of the Zenith Cal. 133 - the world's first wristwatch with modern direct central seconds hand (by shifting the old centre gear for the cannon pinion sideways, thus allowing for a slimmer movement).

Also the 70th anniversary of the introduction of the first version of the Vulcain "Cricket" - the first modern wrist alarm (and still the one best suited to actually getting you out of bed!).

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Marking 50 years in 2017.

The first Quartz Wrist Watch: Beta 1

World first

Beta 1​

The first quartz wrist watch was Beta 1 and it had been built at the Centre Electronique Horloger. The first unit of a series of five was assembled and tested at the CEH in July 1967. Since Seiko does not communicate any details about their first quartz wrist watch, we can firmly conclude that Beta 1 was the world's first quartz wrist watch world wide. The new watch was packed into a standard square case (picture), this was necessary because the quartz case itself was straight with a length of 27 mm. However, the overall dimensions satisfied perfectly the requirements set by the watch industry to qualify for a men's wrist watch. The watch with the identification number CEH-1020 was tested at the Observatory in Neuchâtel as of August 13, 1967,[6] and reached a classification of 0.189, which means an improvement of about one order of magnitude as compared to classical chronometers.[7] The classification was also much better than the one which was reached by tuning fork watches during the same period. Beta 1 was equipped with a stepping motor activating the seconds hand step by step. The alternative and later model Beta 2 was equipped with the same quartz oscillator like Beta 1, but the second hand was actuated by a 56 Hz vibrating motor and a ratchet wheel.

First-Hand:The First Quartz Wrist Watch - Engineering and Technology History Wiki

Regards,

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another couple here.

In January 1957 Hamilton launched the first electric watch.

The Hamilton Electric 500 was the first watch to use a battery.This year marks 60 years.

Add another 300 years and its 360 years since the balance spring was invented.

In 1657 a giant leap in accuracy with the addition of the balance spring to the balance wheel. An invention disputed by both Robert Hooke and CHristiaan Huygens.

Regards,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts