WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents
I recently purchased a GMT Zulu time and it gains about 75 seconds every 24 hours. Can you guys give me any insight if that watch needs service?
What is considered ok for a movement a few years old and it could it be regulated only or does need a complete overhaul
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
416 Posts
I would start with regulating only and see how she runs...

Gents
I recently purchased a GMT Zulu time and it gains about 75 seconds every 24 hours. Can you guys give me any insight if that watch needs service?
What is considered ok for a movement a few years old and it could it be regulated only or does need a complete overhaul
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
I would start with regulating only and see how she runs...
NO!! Any watch that is unusually fast, is likely because of magnetization. All it likely needs is to be demagnetized--a local watch tech can do it in 5 minutes--I got my own demagnetizer on the bay for $15 bucks--watches can often be magnetized during shipment. Just last week I had one arrive, 90 seconds fast--demagnetized it--now within 1 second of perfect.

If this doesn't work, THEN consider having it regulated--but really, regulation is just like a band aide, if it isn't running right, and it is not magnetized, then likely it really needs a complete service--something caused it to run out of specs, and simply adjusting the "speed" needle one or two notches often won't correct the underlying problem.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks a lot guys. I certainly hope it needs only to be demagnetized. I'll try to find a local watchmaker who can do that.
I contacted the seller and he mentioned that it was fine last time it was checked which is couple of month before it was actually shipped so could be that it got magnetized during shipping or at least I hope so. I know a service on an Anonimo is quite costly.
Thanks again gents and god bless WUS.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So thanks again guys I did some research and found out about this app Lepsi that checks if the watch is magnetized and indeed it is. I order a small demagnetization device from Amazon and will give it a try when it arrives.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Good advice..I stand corrected....

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes it did. I wanted to confirm the time keeping first before posting but so far it's 5-10 seconds slow per 24 hours depending on how it's oriented.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts