WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I managed to score another Elgin from e.bay this evening, it looks like it may need a little tlc but it was a bit of a bargain and I'm in love with the face's styling.

Any comments most welcome, particularly if they help me to identify the movement before it arrives.

Thanks,
Dave.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
This is a different Elgin, not made by the original Elgin company. This can be seen by the use of a swiss movement, and the stylized E logo on the dial. It would have been made after 1968 I believe, when the original Elgin manufacture company was no more.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Agreed - this is a post-Elgin Elgin probably from the 1970s.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed - this is a post-Elgin Elgin probably from the 1970s.
Datewise, that's very likely. I'm advised that the movement is an AS1950 which comes from around 1969 or so. Anything within two or three years of that date is entirely possible.

I wasn't aware that the stylised "e" (is that a lower case "epsilon" greek letter?) gave a simple means of identification of the later Company. Useful to know.

I'm not phased by this, mind you. I bought the watch quite cheaply and I absolutely love the design so it's still a winner as far as I'm concerned. :)

·
Registered
23,771 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bookmarked. Many thanks.

The fact that an Elgin isn't really an Elgin won't prevent me from picking up more of the cheap '70s "Elgins" so long as they meet my exacting (ahem!) aesthetics.

The AS1950 in this is an entirely respectable movement and I love the design. The fact that this is a post "real" Elgin watch is interesting but ultimately immaterial to me. I buy watches for me to wear and for me to look at.

Fender went the same way when they sold out to CBS in the early '60s. I still have a '70s jazz bass. ;-)

:-!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
From others I've seen, I think that's a stainless steel case

No reason to scoff at a 17J AS in a SS case regardless of who owns the name on the front.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Re: From others I've seen, I think that's a stainless steel case

I agree that it is a pretty good watch, the only problem being that the Elgin records only apply to the original company, so ID is more general and less precise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts