WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a long while, I considered myself a Glycine "enthusiast"......Until I owned a few models for longer than a week. I currently own a Incursore SAP 3873 and a KMU48 3788 blue dial black PVD case. In the past I have owned a Lagunare 3819. The problems started with the Lagunare. The bezel on the Lagunare became so loose that I was afraid that it was going to fall off, even after locking it into position with the crown. I found myself looking at the watch quite often, not to tell the time, but to make sure that the bezel was still attached to the watch. It was loose in the vertical position--I could tap the bezel at the 12 oclock position and it would rock up and down to a large degree. It was so loose it was scary. Now i have a new nightmare. I have a KMU48 that is running fast. and when i say fast, I MEAN FAST. I have heard of watches gaining time before, but this one breaks all records. The watch is gaining 25 secs PER MINUTE. Let me repeat that----25 SECONDS PER MINUTE!!!!!! 25 SECONDS PER MINUTE!!!!!! The watch has sat in my watchbox for the past 4 months and I just put it on and set the time last night for the first time in a while, but the watch is running so fast I can't even fathom this defect. In the past 12 hours, it has gained 5.5 hrs time. Anyone else extremely disappointed with Glycine quality or had the same defect???!!!???!?!?!? Are there service centers in the US?

Thanks
Tyler

·
3,630 Posts
The bezel sounded like a real problem with that particular watch. I hope it got fixed for you.
The really fast KMU may be a problem that can plague any watch...magnetism. I suppose there could be something loose in the movement, but it's possible your watch got magnetized. Either way it can be serviced and fixed. There are US service centers...I think Falcon Watch (William Johnson) is one.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Yes, sounds like it got magnetized to me. Should be an easy fix. You can even buy a demagnetizer pretty cheap. Was it sitting next to a cell phone, telephone or speakers? Could have gotten magnetized from that.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was sitting in a watch box, which is what confuses me. The watch was not near anything magnetic. I'll have to look into sending it in for repair.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Magnetism is the usual cause, it makes the hairspring coils stick together reducing the effective length and speeding up the movement. I have had several watches magnetised over the years (no Glycines incidentally) and have never been able to figure out how it happened. So that's not Glycine's fault at all, it happens! My 3819 bezel was quite loose when unsecured but when secured with the bezel lock it was OK.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Anyone else extremely disappointed with Glycine quality or had the same defect???!!!???!?!?!?
Aren't you overreacting just a little?

Are these new watches? Did the Lagunare have a loose bezel straight from the factory or could it have been subjected to abuse from a previous owner?

I'm glad that I already own several Glycine watches - otherwise I might have been put off the brand by the harsh thrashing you're giving them. The discussion of quality issues is one of the things that makes WUS a valuable tool, however, you need to separate the facts from the hyperbole if you want to be of service to this community. A loose bezel is a "nightmare"? Bone cancer is a nightmare - a loose bezel is a minor annoyance.

·
Registered
804 Posts
The problem with the KMU is not magnetism. I'd be willing to bet the hairspring has become crossed on itself--get a loupe and have a look--you can see it--I had a very expensive Tourby with the same problem. It took my watchmaker exactly 10 minutes to fix it.
This can happen with any 6498 mvt that gets a jolt or a knock, or possibly by being magnetized --but yes, it is distressing when it happens! The crossed hairspring shortens the amplitude and makes the watch run that fast!
Don't give up on Glycines yet--they are a unique watch in the world of same old, and spoiled sponsored celebrities!

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Aren't you overreacting just a little?

Are these new watches? Did the Lagunare have a loose bezel straight from the factory or could it have been subjected to abuse from a previous owner?

I'm glad that I already own several Glycine watches - otherwise I might have been put off the brand by the harsh thrashing you're giving them. The discussion of quality issues is one of the things that makes WUS a valuable tool, however, you need to separate the facts from the hyperbole if you want to be of service to this community. A loose bezel is a "nightmare"? Bone cancer is a nightmare - a loose bezel is a minor annoyance.
+1 !!

As a proud owner of 6 Glycines, I can say - if I were to resort to hyperbole - that Glycines are the BEST MADE watches in the world, etc. But I won't. I have never had any problems with any of mine, but all machines can and do develop hiccups eventually.
And, sometimes it is we ourselves that cause the problems - due to carelessness or negligence, which is why we are not always aware of it.

Anyway, I think Uwe is absolutely right: we do disservice to other WUSs and to the brand when we lose perspective and get overly dramatic.
Gaining speed? My trusty VIXA flieger one day started to run at warp speed. I took it in to a local watch repair guy during my lunch break, he fixed it and had it ready for me by the time I was ready to head home. A $30 job. No big deal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Glycine is a mediocre brand at best, overpriced, with poor service and only ok craftsmanship and creativity. Trying to avoid hyperbole but this has been my experience.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So then where should I send my KMU for service---I have two Glycines and they both came with papers listing different service centers. the best i can tell is that I should contact this location:

Glycine LLC
Repair Service Center
444 Madison Ave
Suite 601
New York, NY 10022

Anyone had any experience with this service center? Any suggestions to where i should send my KMU for best service and turnaround time?

Please let me know
Tyler

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I believe that's the old service center. I contacted Glycine last night and they gave me a different contact. Same one that's currently on their web site, e-mail address is [email protected]

However, if the only thing you need is to get your KMU running properly and not the hours fast/day you initially reported, I'd find someone local. It may be magnetized or the spring may be overlapping due to a jolt. Can happen to any mechanical watch and is usually a few minute fix. You can send it somewhere of course, but I have received watches that were damaged like that due to the rough handling in the mail. Would be a shame to send the watch twice through the mail only to receive it in a similar condition as you sent it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts