WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know this has been asked here before(many times), but when I searched the forum nothing applied to my situation.

Im looking for a watch for my best bud as a best man gift. cant be over $300 as thats what my budget will allow. heres some things about him to take under consideration.
  • He's a police officer. (he beats up his watches. currently he uses a type of G-shock on a leather bund strap)
  • he has like a 8.5 inch wrist. very big guy
  • knows very little about watches, but knows what works to do the job he does. meaning he only buys cheap wathes cause he know he,s gunna bang them up in his line of work.
  • he has two modes to his style. casual(shorts and tee) and uniform(police)
  • he's married with children and loves doing stuff with his hands outside. BBQ, lawn, woodwork,mechanical, shooting practice.....
  • I'd like to engrave the case back so a thick,plane face back is a plus.
  • last. It would be nice if it looked good in a suit so he could wear to the wedding. but not a must.
so there you have it. any suggestions would be very appreciated. I know you guys can help;-)

·
Registered
72 Posts
What about a Seiko Frankenmonster (SK247K1)? Good looks, outstanding lume, and Seiko automatic movement. It's a 50mm watch that would look good on an 8.5" wrist. Plus, it's pretty damn durable. If you think the bracelet would take too much abuse, a black/grey Bond NATO strap would look really good on it.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'm thinking Quartz, like a Field Khaki or a Swiss Army Maverick. Autos are for watch nuts and gadget freaks. Or how about a Eco drive chrono/alarm/perpetual?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Cos of his job type, I'd seriously stay away from autos......period. Not worth taking a chance and risking damaging the sensitive movement inside a $300 watch. And monsters look good on medium sized wrists.....the bezel is what adds the thickness but the actual dial itself is probably around 35-38mm. I had the black one and sold it so I know ;-).

I'd stick to a eco/quartz.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Luminox 3204 100% Stainless, Bezel and case. Optional Rubber or Balisstic Nylon (Zulu or Nato) Strap. At 44mm its perfect size. Dial colors are various.

It has tritium so it will always be legible which is important for a cop when he is in his car 90% of the time, especially if he works nights.

I had the older model of this watch and it was very nice and durable.

The newer models have sapphire crystal. You can find them for under $300 but you have to shop it around.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I'm thinking Quartz, like a Field Khaki or a Swiss Army Maverick. Autos are for watch nuts and gadget freaks. Or how about a Eco drive chrono/alarm/perpetual?

That Citizen is VERY nice in person, I almost bought one. It's large at 44mm, but wore well on my small wrist...meaning I think it would be both trendy and versatile, and looks more expensive than it is. Can't go wrong with Swiss Army either, look at the Chrono Classic or Alliance Chrono.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I'm liking that Citizen one. Looks really good and can be used in various scenarios. :-!

·
Registered
13,177 Posts
The Victorinox Swiss Army Divemaster is the watch you need to buy. Built like a tank, Swiss Made, and quartz accuracy. Manly wrist presence and toughness a policeman would love. A few dial colors to choose from. Can be had for under $300 if you search online. (Seller pic.)

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
8-1/2" wrist, try posting in the Pilots & Military watch forum. Seems like I remember the moderator, Crusader, has 8-1/2" wrists.

·
Registered
122 Posts
[ROW][/ROW]

Accutron 26b65 can be had for under 300.00 and its an excellent watch

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WOW! all great suggestons. Im leaning toward the Luminox, but Im not sure of thier durability. I also like the Seiko since I have a land monster and its built like a tank. but then I dont know how an auto will hold up with his type of abuse. o| and that citizen chrono looks great. I might get one for myself. this is turning out more difficult then I thought. The divemaster is what I kinda pictured in my mind but Im thinking now he might be too used to the functionality of a G-shock, with the alarm, el back light and maintenance free quartz. Ahrrrrrrg. Citizen may be the way to go.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
Citizen EcoZilla?

Seiko Caesar?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Your post is somewhat confusing? He's married with kids, but you buying him a wedding present as your his best man for his wedding?

Anyway, check out the Zodiac watches. They have large, stylish yet durable watches well under your budget.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Your post is somewhat confusing? He's married with kids, but you buying him a wedding present as your his best man for his wedding?

Anyway, check out the Zodiac watches. They have large, stylish yet durable watches well under your budget.
I think the OP is getting married and his cop friend is HIS best man.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
WOW! all great suggestons. Im leaning toward the Luminox, but Im not sure ofPlus the new ones like the one I picturee thier durability. I also like the Seiko since I have a land monster and its built like a tank. but then I dont know how an auto will hold up with his type of abuse. o| and that citizen chrono looks great. I might get one for myself. this is turning out more difficult then I thought. The divemaster is what I kinda pictured in my mind but Im thinking now he might be too used to the functionality of a G-shock, with the alarm, el back light and maintenance free quartz. Ahrrrrrrg. Citizen may be the way to go.
Luminox uses the same ronda quartz movt found in the Military issued mil spec. tsar and gsar.

very tough.

The cases are solid and tough, I owned one and it was one of my favs before i got the mechanical wacth bug.

The new ones are better with sapphire crystals and upgraded movements.

I owned the late90's version and a cop fried of mine owned the same watch but with yellow dial. Black and yellow look good....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts