WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
why what happens when you reach 1000 post marc
When Marrick posted his 'collection thread'.... I foolishly suggested that I would do the same when I got to 1000 posts.... Trim said he would do the same at 2000.... just need someone to do the same at 3000 (I note you are at 2761)....

But as I have pointed out.... my collection thread will be pretty short on content (compared to Marricks).... was hoping to get some more watches in before now!

Marc

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
my collection is only small and 3 of those are quartz watches, look forward to your collection, so thats you on 993 need a few more questions to ask you lol

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Very very nice, a vintage Tudor for thirty quid is excellent and this could turn out to be the bargain
of the month. Lots like these are the best as someone clears out a drawer, describes mechanical watches
as not working and nine times out of ten all they need is a service and are often in very good condition
as they've lain unloved for years.
Job lots from watchmakers estates, on the other hand, are usually junkers.
Nice one, and I'm also looking forward to your thousandth post.

Edit,
How JLSmout picked that one out is beyond me....good eye.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
my collection is only small and 3 of those are quartz watches, look forward to your collection, so thats you on 993 need a few more questions to ask you lol
Join the club... My collection is small and pathetic... with a few quartz chucked in... but wheels have been set in motion... 1000... and a 'collection thread' will appear. The way I look at it, in 3 (10? 20?)years time, I will still be updating that thread... it will be a 'live' record of my collection! So, I can look back and see how my collection develops with age... see what 'fads' I go through (military at the mo)... etc.

As for questions... Kris has been doing a fine job of drawing out posts from me!

Very very nice, a vintage Tudor for thirty quid is excellent and this could turn out to be the bargain
of the month. Lots like these are the best as someone clears out a drawer, describes mechanical watches
as not working and nine times out of ten all they need is a service and are often in very good condition
as they've lain unloved for years.
Job lots from watchmakers estates, on the other hand, are usually junkers.
Nice one, and I'm also looking forward to your thousandth post.
Cheers radger,

I hope its as good as my imagination is! This seller is a prime example of someone having a clear out... or may have lost someone close and is just getting rid of bits... I say this, as the only bits sold, are a few war medals, a pocket watch and some other items I could foresee 'being found in a drawer'.... As you say, most of the time (I have found) the watches are in some form of working order!

How JLSmout picked that one out is beyond me....good eye.
I have no idea!!! I thought it was really difficult!

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Yeh, that's a nice early Tudor Oyster that you reference, this watch has a capped
escape wheel but no shock protection so it's probably from the forties.
I wear a Tudor Oyster to work every day, it takes some abuse but it has shock protection and
it never misses a beat.
If I remember correctly the capped escape wheel on my watch is also shock protected.

Looking at the watch you'll soon be receiving then I doubt it's an Oyster as the crown is wrong,
the Oyster screw down crown and tube is quite large and distinctive...but, hopefully, it'll be a very good watch.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Teaser....

Well...

The job lot arrived today.... all the watches were loose within a jiffy bag.... truely unloved!!!

Im sure you are all looking forward to seeing the pics... here you go!

Now, as im working towards my 1000 post being a 'My collection' as it stands thread, I will have to upload some more pics after ive done that (probably Sunday)....

As the above pic is a bit clearer, you can start to see what I saw.... or hoped to see!!

I will give more info at a later date... but here is some facts for now, to wet the appetite:

1. The Tudor and Seikos are fully working.... slight wind and shake.... and still running now - an hour later! Time keeping not the best... but fears of wrecks have gone - the bell matic rings really well!!

2. The Tudor has no crystal... and im shocked to see the hands are still straight and attached after travelling the length on the country in a bag of watches banging against the dial!! The case is Dennison made (In England) and signed 'Dennison made for Rolex'

3. The seikos are in generally good condtion... the crystal on the bell-matic is cracked... BUT, the crystal on the second seiko is faceted like a Rado Diastar - not seen one like it before.

4. The 3 movements are stunning (best looking bell-matic I have seen).... anyone want to guess the movment in the Tudor?

Even with the bit of attention needed... for £30.... its looking like a bargain!!

Kris... want another guess on the case size... or are you happy with 28mm????

Once the '1000th' post is out the way (to say I have a tiny collection of keepers - its taking a while to sort out how im going to do it - hats off to Marrick), I will finish this thread with some nice pics, with the watches cleaned up!! :-!

Marc

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Re: Teaser....

Well played that man. party0024.gif

·
Registered
10,558 Posts

cant wait for the pics esp the seiko, like the thought of the bellmatic and look forward to your collection and details of why you bought each watch, always good to know other peoples motives even if they isnt one.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

Cheers Steve and Joe!

I will post some 'proper' pics tomorrow!!!

I will need to give them a quick clean first though!!

Marc

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

With the new clearer photo I will now say exactly 30mm (plus or minus .5mm :-d)
Interesting.... Only time will tell!!

·
Registered
3,829 Posts

Interesting.... Only time will tell!!
Heh, actually not so much the plus. I really think it is between 29mm and 30mm. It is just scraping 30mm, and I think it probably would just be called a 30 mm watch. If you come back with 32mm I won't believe it o|.

P.S. I don't mind being wrong if it makes the watch more wearable for you. Photos are tricky beasties.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I Would have to concede it was a very good guess!

If I was being picky, I would say you were wrong... But what's a faction of a mm between pals!

I would say, its between 30.5 and 31.... Approximately 30.75mm

Want to guess a movement??

Marc

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Well,

Here are the first 2... Seiko and Tudor!

The Tudor.... even though in a bit of a state... I think was worth the £30 on its own... I would have paid that much!!

As the crystal is missing... The dial was very dirty!! See the pic, where I had just wiped it with a ear bud and warm water...

The caseback that holds the movement is a weighty 'Denisteel' back, that is signed as follows:

The Signed Tudor Movement is a 1260 ETA (I think!) as its signed under the balance 1260 See Rolands as a comparison:

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: ETA 1260

As you can see the movement is nice and clean... but is 15J and has no shock protection - Compared to the one on Rolands site... Im guessing mine is an earlier version??

The top section of the case is chrome plated and a bit worn... but on the whole... cant complain!!

The shock in all this, is the second Seiko (not the Bellmatic).... Its a cracker... and worth the £30 on its own - easily!! It was very very dirty and scratches... but has come up ok - if I do say so myself! ;-)

Take note of the crytal - A rare feature and I have not seen it before on a Seiko (Have searched since and see it was standard on this watch)

The movement is very clean and running well... all the quick set features work... what a result!

I will look to get a replacement crystal for the Bell-Matic and give it a clean! Then post that also... But what do you think... good buy??

))))))

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Congratulations - well bought that man.

Applause.jpg

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

·
Registered
195 Posts
Well,

Here are the first 2... Seiko and Tudor!

The Tudor.... even though in a bit of a state... I think was worth the £30 on its own... I would have paid that much!!

As the crystal is missing... The dial was very dirty!! See the pic, where I had just wiped it with a ear bud and warm water...

The caseback that holds the movement is a weighty 'Denisteel' back, that is signed as follows:

The Signed Tudor Movement is a 1260 ETA (I think!) as its signed under the balance 1260 See Rolands as a comparison:

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: ETA 1260

As you can see the movement is nice and clean... but is 15J and has no shock protection - Compared to the one on Rolands site... Im guessing mine is an earlier version??

The top section of the case is chrome plated and a bit worn... but on the whole... cant complain!!

The shock in all this, is the second Seiko (not the Bellmatic).... Its a cracker... and worth the £30 on its own - easily!! It was very very dirty and scratches... but has come up ok - if I do say so myself! ;-)

Take note of the crytal - A rare feature and I have not seen it before on a Seiko (Have searched since and see it was standard on this watch)

The movement is very clean and running well... all the quick set features work... what a result!

I will look to get a replacement crystal for the Bell-Matic and give it a clean! Then post that also... But what do you think... good buy??

))))))
That Tudor has cleaned up nicely. I like that retro Seiko. Congratulations on a really good find.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts