WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It seems that finding somewhat weird pieces while lurking on here and on local auctions is a bit of a feature of mine (oh well).

Louis Moinet is a name that now is associated with the real high-end, though possibly on the somewhat bigger / flashier side.
This article does a decent job of telling the brand's history.

I've found one of their earliest models, an Adonis - apparently from the time the brand was launched, in 2005, for a decidedly non-high-end price (about 1/3 of what it costs on Chrono24). But I assume it is also not going to be very interesting to collectors.

Catalogue and reference pictures:

And the actual watch:

All available pictures aren't great, and it seems to be absolutely impossible to find more information on it (except this announcement). Difficult to judge the finishing, but the movement finishing scares me a little. Yes, those pictures aren't great, but - doesn't that rotor look like it's from a 500$ microbrand? But then again, other parts of the movement seem to be somewhat better finished.

I like its art deco-inspired feel without being too... obviously Dubey&Schaldenbrandily retro. The case reminds me a bit of the Abyss case by Cedric Johner, which is a good thing. I've been looking for a triple calendar moonphase for a while, actually - it's one of those classic, old-fashioned complications and layouts that I would like to have in a modern package. But then again, it feels like one of those things that, if I buy, I will never ever be able to get rid of at a reasonable price. It's my own fault for having a soft spot for obscure things.

I am also thinking of a comparison to the early Jaquet Droz I found before... the latter seems more elegant.

Perhaps someone will find this interesting.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
That has got to be the worst implementation of a date I've ever seen. What the fck is that gap??? How can anyone think that's acceptable?

Also, why are the 3, 9 and those weird stars at 2 4 8 and 10 so obnoxiously big?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Iirc this is not the only watch with the pointer date that doesn't really keep to the number track? As to worst date implementations - I would rank most dates at 4.30 as way more awkward than this, but it's obviously subjective.

The oversized numerals are a retro hallmark. Not sure about the stars, I think stars are important for their brand and they were trying to integrate them. Again, comes across as something roughly retro sport-like.

But yeah, you could say these were early trial-and-error days and their design was far from mature.

·
Premium Member
36,117 Posts
Very unique and interesting for sure. I like it. Kind of reminds me of the older DJR "TV-Screen" watches.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts