WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had not planned on adding another watch so soon but when I recently got an email from Marc at Long Island Watches showing his Islander watches back in stock I took a look and was just sucked in. Essentially a Seiko SKX with very nice upgrades: sapphire crystal…drilled lugs..screw down crown with 200m water resistance…a hackable NH36 Seiko movement??? YES PLEASE.

I decided to go with this ISL-09 because while I do have blue dial/bezel divers they are all a very dark blue. This lite blue(sky blue? Cerdian?) is absolutely striking to me and I am REALLY digging it. I am also really digging the sapphire crystal bezel…very unique looking and I love that the color of the bezel exactly matches the color of the dial…I’m all about matchy matchy. I also really like the first 20 mins being grey and white…like nothing else I own.

It came on a metal bracelet…easiest I’ve ever sized because of the link pins that just screw out on one side. It’s very comfortable and doesn’t feel cheap or loose or rattly. I wore it for most of the day like this and it was fine…

..but I had already decided to put it on a leather strap the moment I bought it. This particular strap is from strapcso.com(my first order there…bought 3 straps from them and they are all GREAT…definitely will be buying from them again!)

And the lume on this thing is INSANE. These are not the best pics of it but honestly…a little sun or a 10 second blast from a flashlight and this thing is visible for hours…including the bezel.

So all in all I am very happy with this one. For $299 it’s an absolutey HUGE value for the money in my book. Also…a shout out to Marc Frankel..owner of Long Island Watch. I bought 2 watches from him in 2011 and it was a great experience…and I bought 2 this year from him and nothing has changed. It’s great to support a guy who’s an enthusiast like us so if you’re on the lookout for a new timepiece definitely give Long Island Watches a visit.

Thanks for reading as as always,
Shawn

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It generally goes something like this:-
“I shouldn’t buy a new watch, besides they are out of stock”
Stock renewal alert..
Ooh goody while pressing the “buy” button.
Excellent choice of Islander.
How did you get inside my head?? ha ha Pretty much nailed it.

-Shawn

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
I got the same in stock reminder, but purchased the ISL-18 instead. I was really tempted to also buy the ISL-09 because the colors are very close to the team colors of the Detroit Lions.
Thanks for the excellent review, now I'm even more tempted to get the ISL-09. I agree with your opinion, the Islander watches are everything Seiko should have done to upgrade the SKX.

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow Watch Ho....thank you sincerely...that's really nice of you to say. I'm definitely a fan of a lot of your collection too. (y)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got the same in stock reminder, but purchased the ISL-18 instead. I was really tempted to also buy the ISL-09 because the colors are very close to the team colors of the Detroit Lions.
Thanks for the excellent review, now I'm even more tempted to get the ISL-09. I agree with your opinion, the Islander watches are everything Seiko should have done to upgrade the SKX.
Being a long-suffering Detroit Lion fan like I am it sure looks like Honolulu blue to me.

·
Premium Member
4,627 Posts
Congrats on your Islander. Thanks for your initial impression and pics. Do like the dial's blue and the blue and grey bezel. Enjoy your new diver.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Grrrrr - If I hadn't seen your post, I would be $299 richer today. I have been waiting for that one to re-appear since I first saw it a few months ago. Should arrive next week.. Thanks...I think?

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys....and YOU'RE WELCOME Roybiv99! ha ha You will not be disappointed...this thing really punches above it's weight!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have these two Islanders for now and just ordered a third - the new one with the emerald green dial.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts