WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

What's the plan?

• Omega Speedmaster Professional 3572.50

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • D. Dornbluth & Sohn

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Glashutte Original (senator observer, panoreserve, etc.?)

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Save up for that Lange </3

Votes: 2 14.3%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all! I'll try to make this as terse as possible.

In short, I've been saving up really, really, really hard (I'm a college student, so I'm broke as-hell). However, after all of this saving, asking for loans (yup, on top of tuition), etc., I think I'll have around $5K-$7K to spend on a watch.

In my signature, you can see that I've been trying to get my hands on a Speedy Pro. I've negotiated something with someone, and they'll pass onto me a 3572.50 for around the $3K range. PROBLEM IS..

I've been developing a really big, phat crush on German watches. I don't think it's one of those "bugs" either. My eyes were and have been glued on pretty much any German watch I've set my eyes upon. First, it was a few Lange's at ADs; now, GO, D Dornbluth & Sohn, and so on have gotten my attention too. I absolutely love the 3/4 plate, German silver (okay, maybe only Lange has this), hand-engraved balance cock!!!, big dates, and simply the overall aesthetic of German watches. It's "my taste." Of course, I respect Lange for its "truer" history - to be honest, the idea that GO is essentially "ripping off" Lange is a bit off-putting for me (but oh gawd, do their watches also look pretty).

Now, here's where you can help!

What should I do? There's a poll up there, but please feel free to chime in <3

In short, with my collection right now (as you can see in my signature), what should I do?

Thank you, WUS! I've really enjoyed browsing through these forums :)

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Since you are still a student, still likely have debts, still likely have unanswered questions of solvency both in the short and long term, my advice is NOT to buy any watch at the moment. All the watches you are considering will still be there a year or two down the road, at which time you have may achieved some sense of financial stability--truth be told--a struggling student does not need a $5K watch, in fact very few of us do, or anything close to it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice :p.. Wise words from older people always are helpful :)

So I'm not completely broke - have managed to save up 5K after all (in essentially "cash"). I'm not in-tune with the stock market enough to do much investing, and the money would just be sitting there if I didn't use it on something. Maybe put the money into a retirement plan? I'm just afraid if I don't finally do something for myself now, I never will. I'll be in school for at least another 10-12 years, and I have "training" after that for at least 4 years. Y'feel?

Thanks for the wise advice nonetheless :)

edit: Yes, I'm an adult. No, I did not get held back grades.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Since student loans are guaranteed by the govt and not dischargeable in bankruptcy, you should be able to get an extra $50K of loans no problem.
And with another 12 years of school ahead of you - cost of 1 extra semester is nothing (5% of total education cost), so may as well enjoy your school years in style.

Get a nice Lange Datograph or Lange 1 and don't doubt if your GO is too derivative or Speedy is too cheap and common.
View attachment 12510621

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
For me I tried on all the watches I was interested in. Then I went home and let it distill down and I purchased the watch I thought of the most. That happened to be a GO and I am extremely pleased with my purchase.

Have you tried on all the watches you are interested in? For me it was eye opening, watches I thought I would love ended up getting ruled out early.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Since student loans are guaranteed by the govt and not dischargeable in bankruptcy, you should be able to get an extra $50K of loans no problem.
And with another 12 years of school ahead of you - cost of 1 extra semester is nothing (5% of total education cost), so may as well enjoy your school years in style.

Get a nice Lange Datograph or Lange 1 and don't doubt if your GO is too derivative or Speedy is too cheap and common.
View attachment 12510621
Well, I'm technically on a lot of financial aid / scholarship money :p.. This is sort-of my reasoning for buying a good watch: I'm getting ~$45K every year to finance my $65K tuition already. That's making money there, right?

But I don't think I'd dare to get a Lange quite yet.. I'm dearly in love with the Lange 1; that's the dream. However, it might be wise for me to hold off on that big of a purchase :p..

For me I tried on all the watches I was interested in. Then I went home and let it distill down and I purchased the watch I thought of the most. That happened to be a GO and I am extremely pleased with my purchase.

Have you tried on all the watches you are interested in? For me it was eye opening, watches I thought I would love ended up getting ruled out early.
I've seen Lange's in person, but I have yet to find a GO AD around me. Also, D Dornbluth and Sohn is nonexistent in the states D: ..

Maybe I'll have to check out NY some day.

Do not take out a loan to buy a watch. You don't know what's around the corner financially.
Sorry for being unclear. I'm not exactly taking loans. I'm mentioning them because people usually equate "school = loans," but my scenario is a bit unique (have managed to procure enough funds to not take loans, but that means I'm living quite frugally and am slightly dependent on the people who brought me into this world).

·
Premium Member
3,998 Posts

View attachment 12510621
You should try a career of financial adviser

·
Registered
311 Posts
I can understand being a college student and loving watches and wanting a nice watch. But I would suggest on holding off on high end purchases like what you're considering until you can afford it, I.e. When you make your own money and can afford it, not when you're on financial aid and haven't started your career yet. There are plenty of nice affordable watches you can buy for a small amount of your savings. Just my two cents...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well, I'm technically on a lot of financial aid / scholarship money :p.. This is sort-of my reasoning for buying a good watch: I'm getting ~$45K every year to finance my $65K tuition already. That's making money there, right?

But I don't think I'd dare to get a Lange quite yet.. I'm dearly in love with the Lange 1; that's the dream. However, it might be wise for me to hold off on that big of a purchase :p..

I've seen Lange's in person, but I have yet to find a GO AD around me. Also, D Dornbluth and Sohn is nonexistent in the states D: ..

Maybe I'll have to check out NY some day.

Sorry for being unclear. I'm not exactly taking loans. I'm mentioning them because people usually equate "school = loans," but my scenario is a bit unique (have managed to procure enough funds to not take loans, but that means I'm living quite frugally and am slightly dependent on the people who brought me into this world).
In -5 GMT the only GO AD's I am aware of are in either NJ or FL. I went to the one in FL and it had a limited selection but enough to make my decision. If you are ever in Miami the design district is a must, just about every brand there except dornblueth. :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

View attachment 12510621
In -5 GMT the only GO AD's I am aware of are in either NJ or FL. I went to the one in FL and it had a limited selection but enough to make my decision. If you are ever in Miami the design district is a must, just about every brand there except dornblueth. :D
Oh, I'd have to go to NJ then :p... I'm a bit up north.

·
Registered
930 Posts
There are some good advises here. I don't know your life situation so i won't add to it. This is a watch forum after all and I'm here to look at shiny watch pictures and give the occasional answers about watches. Get the Speedy.

·
Registered
377 Posts
To answer your question about which model to choose, I like the Speedmaster. I've had mine for about 4 years and have never regretted purchasing it. Now with that out of the way; I agree with the well-meaning advice from others to wait until you are established in a career and your finances are in control. For me, spending on a luxury item should never present a hardship. If it does present a financial hardship, you're simply in the wrong game. Barring the unforeseen, you have plenty of time ahead of you to enjoy the finer things, and with time also comes the beauty and quality of patience. Buying expensive things should balance with a strong financial base. Otherwise, they become a curse rather than a blessing. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Does Austria count as "German" since its German speaking? Check out Habring2 as well they've got some interesting designs (especially the foudroyante dead beat). If high end finishing is your thing as opposed to interesting movements then I don't think they're top at that though- although for your price range I'm not sure any of the watches will have ALS type finishing...

Best of luck!

·
Registered
39,452 Posts
I think there might be some objection to that.
Does Austria count as "German" since its German speaking? Check out Habring2 as well they've got some interesting designs (especially the foudroyante dead beat). If high end finishing is your thing as opposed to interesting movements then I don't think they're top at that though- although for your price range I'm not sure any of the watches will have ALS type finishing...

Best of luck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts