WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks, I’ve just snagged another pocket watch, a Semloh Lever, a brand I’ve never seen before but it’s a 17 jewel movement with a Reed’s regulator in a silver case with screw back so I don’t think it was a cheap watch when new. I’ve done a little research and it seems there might be a link between Semloh and CYMA but I’m not sure, I found this on Mikrolisk

So it would seem that Semloh is a British brand?

Here’s a sellers picture of the movement

Anyway I’m eagerly anticipating it’s arrival

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hello folks, I’ve just snagged another pocket watch, a Semloh Lever, a brand I’ve never seen before but it’s a 17 jewel movement with a Reed’s regulator in a silver case with screw back so I don’t think it was a cheap watch when new. I’ve done a little research and it seems there might be a link between Semloh and CYMA but I’m not sure, I found this on Mikrolisk

So it would seem that Semloh is a British brand?

Here’s a sellers picture of the movement

Anyway I’m eagerly anticipating it’s arrival

Matt

Definitely a Tavannes movement. Probably Tavannes Cal. 19''' -9.B
nufc1.jpg

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s arrived,

Movement looks good

Dennison case, lots of service marks, in my book this means a careful owner

Dial is good, what looks like an original glass in the screw on front.

All in I don’t think I’ve been had

Matt

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I was about to say earlier, before the watch came in, that there is a Cyma movement inside, caliber 998, with a better regulation (I had seen a similar watch described with such a movement, also in a Dennison case). The engraved 'BEE998' makes me even more confident, although I don't know what the BEE stands for.

Check the Ranfft database (look under Cyma, Tavannes has no caliber 998 listed there). He says something about a negative stem mechanism for the US market, whilst the cal. 991 has a normal stem mechanism...

'Negative set' = 'American system' keyless work.

As I really don't know much about this, the following has been copied and pasted from the Net:

When a negative set mechanism is present, a setting lever screw, which normally releases the stem, is not fitted. To remove the movement from the case, there is no need to undo the setting lever screw as you would do for a positive set movement, just pull the crown out to the hand set position and the movement can be removed from the case by tilting it slightly.

Now, one thing puzzles me: The Hallmark letters in the case and on the pendant, Birmingham B and A, look like 1926 and 1925. The watch, if the movement and caliber is correct, should be from the 1950s and the Birminghm letters 1951 and 1950 look similar. Difficult to judge from the images.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
It's too difficult for me to make out. I had enlarged and sharpened the image to the maximum, but can't be sure. Matt, can you check the letters and numbers for us pls? Perhaps also the Hallmarks (Birmingham date letters)?

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's too difficult for me to make out. I had enlarged and sharpened the image to the maximum, but can't be sure. Matt, can you check the letters and numbers for us pls? Perhaps also the Hallmarks (Birmingham date letters)?

Hallmarks work out to Birmingham 1926

The number under the balance is
REF999

I hope this helps

Matt

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Hallmarks work out to Birmingham 1926
I do like the ‘it’s not travelled too far’ aspect of this

Here’s a Coronet Clipper camera I borrowed off a Brum friend

and a pic I took of the Queensway with it

a mile from where the camera was made

Great watch: enjoy!

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
So it's not a Cyma cal. 998 but cal. 999 (as already assumed by Roland Ranfft). I wasn't aware of the fact that they started to make these movement versions already in the late 1920s and the Hallmarks looked more like the 1920s Birmingham date letters than the 1950s versions anyway, but it was not so clear to see. So you have this all settled now for your documentation. And the 'secret' about the 'BEE' s also solved.

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Cyma 999

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I do like the ‘it’s not travelled too far’ aspect of this

Here’s a Coronet Clipper camera I borrowed off a Brum friend

and a pic I took of the Queensway with it

a mile from where the camera was made

Great watch: enjoy!
How scary - all cars on the wrong side of the road, no wonder they can't find their way out to the Brexit...

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How scary - all cars on the wrong side of the road, no wonder they can't find their way out to the Brexit...
Nope, they’re on the correct side, the left

Matt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts