WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good evening gang

I was looking for a pie pan again but was again outbid during the last 20 seconds of the auction.It is the third time that it happens to me to be outbid on a pie pan constellaton auction everytime at 20 second before the auction ends!!o| I have also checked c cased constellation connies and other tonneau cased constellation but often in not so good shape one can wish, and spending insane money on an average condition was a niet for me. However after checking ebay listings thoroughly I found another seamaster chronometer, a black dialed version with the day date the ref 166032-168023. On mine the auction wasn't very high, so I put a very reasonable amount of money for the auction that I won (this one cost me the half of the price I paid for my other seamaster chronometer). It is a 36mm of diameter watch and in relatively very good condition, dial is absolutely clean, movement is clean, hands are in fine condition despite some very very minor spots, glass is in excellent original condition and case hasn't been ("over")polished as it is often the case with vintage watches

Mine will get a service as soon as it arrives and a sunburst case rebrushing.

Enjoy the pictures

Regards

Georges

·
Premium Member
13,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice. Your patience paid off
Thank you. Yes patience is needed especially in this hobby, I have always learned, never to hurry before purchasing anything.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,053 Posts
I'm sorry but I can't agree. The geartrain bridge looks like it has a different shade of gold plating so I think that it's a mariage ("frankenwatch").

Hartmut Richter

·
Premium Member
13,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm sorry but I can't agree. The geartrain bridge looks like it has a different shade of gold plating so I think that it's a mariage ("frankenwatch").

Hartmut Richter
This model was originally fitted with a cal 751 which was a chronometer so even if for you the shade looks like slightly different, the movement remains a cal 751 and that what counts for me. At the base the original movement was a calibre 751, so even if it is a replacement bridge (none can be sure if it is a replacement) in a movement, that is very very minor trouble for me because the rest of the entire watch is original. A franken watch would be the wrong movement or a non chronometer movement and wrong hands in this watch. I have seen the same model than mine priced for the double with a shade of copper plating worse than mine. I have seen some much more damaged watches being portrayed as good and having worse condition movements. Mariage watches are often pocket watches converted to wristwatches. Sometimes spare parts can't be had, so they are taken from a donor watch.

Reactions: joeuk and busmatt

·
Registered
923 Posts
That is one nice looking watch. As a novice I feel I am nitpicking but have to ask .
Is it ok that the A in Omega is taller than the other letters.

·
Premium Member
13,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is one nice looking watch. As a novice I feel I am nitpicking but have to ask .
Is it ok that the A in Omega is taller than the other letters.
The A isn't taller than others, it is just an impression that you have.I have another Omega with the same lettering/serif. Some models had flat As and others didn't.

Reactions: busmatt

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
You're destroying me Georges, a Seamaster Chronometer is a grail for my collection and you're snapping them up quickly

Nice watch and I know it's going to be looked after now and that's all that matters

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD

·
Premium Member
13,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
You're destroying me Georges, a Seamaster Chronometer is a grail for my collection and you're snapping them up quickly

Nice watch and I know it's going to be looked after now and that's all that matters

Matt

Hi Matt

I would never allow myself to do that:-d;-) Thing is that everytime I have bid on a pie pan connie, I seem to be running very very bad luck because every time at 20 seconds before the end of the auction, I am outbid by almost 200$ more (this is the third time it happened to me). I have bidden once on a 50's seamaster chronometer, the highest bidder outbid me of 800$ more 40 seconds before the end of the auction. The thing is that some items have skyrocketed because of Omega Saga auction back in 2008. The mid late 60's-early 70's seamaster chronometers are more affordable than their 50's counterparts. This is the same for the mid 50's 321 powered seamaster chronos and the mid 60's 321 powered seamaster chronos, there is often a 1000 to 1500 $ price difference if we are talking items in pristine condition. I always try never to overestimate my budget and never to spend unreasonably because being indebted with my bank is a definite no. So patience and luck pay off. I want a pie pan connie and a 321 chrono very badly but for now I am done, maybe and very probably at the end of the year or next year, because with my other watch purchases, I have done well enough to broaden my Omega collection, not to mention that I have also several repair service bills to pay to my two watchmakers. I remarked also generally that the more you wait for a serious purchase, the better is the outcome. Don't rush and be patient, you will get one some day.

Have a good day

best regards

Georges

Reactions: busmatt

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
I am having to be patient Georges, my watch budget is sitting at zero at the moment but I can dream I would love a 321 Seamaster chrono too but as you said, prices have rocketed.

One day I will have one

Matt

·
Premium Member
13,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
congrats again on a fantastic looking piece , it would not bother me with the bridge being slightly different here is another with the same problem and many more if you google pics Service: Omega Constellation 168.019 calibre 751 | Watch Guy
The thing is that plating discoloration can't be uniform or the same everywhere, there is also the fact if the watch was badly neglected that the whole plating would be dead or even rusty. I am not even sure that Bienne refinishes the copper finish during the movement restoration because otherwise I would have heard about it a very long time ago. But what counts for me is that the watch works and performs as it should and as I expect from an Omega (chronometer or not chronometer). The main joy with vintage Omega is that once properly and meticulously serviced, it is so accurate that you don't have to adjust it. My dynamic has been so far at +0.00 sec per day since a month, this says a lot for me regarding the quality of the movement and the overhaul itself. On a side note, I have never seen unworn pieces with completely new old stock movements or new dials but if those exist, they must be as scarce as hen's teeth and very very expensive.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,053 Posts
I think we have been through all this before on numerous occasions. Nevertheless, one should perhaps remember that:

1. it is unlikely that the company would use a distinctly different coloured part when servicing. Especially in the case of a movement made in the millions, they should have enough spare parts to be able to pick the right one

2. taking any part from another watch and putting it into yours technically makes the watch a mariage (i.e. a "marrying" of parts from different watches). It might not be as bad as other mariages, e.g. using completely the wrong movement or using part from the right sort of movement but putting a bridge marked "Tradition" into a Rado watch or the like, but a mariage remains a mariage

3. one of the major drawbacks of mariages is that the parts used to replace the old and worn/broken ones have themselves already seen service in the watch they came from. So they are to some extent worn themselves, are closer to breaking themselves than a completely new part and will often cause the watch to run less accurately than it might with a genuinely new replacement part

4. Realistically speaking, one could perhaps argue that the cruel dividing line in the issue is merely "getting caught" (or not) here. But if I don't want to get caught, I should not use parts of different colour.....

The bottom line is that, if you're happy with your watch, everything is OK. The same as with all the recent threads on the redials. I would not want such a watch, you are willing to accept it. As long as that sort of watch doesn't crop up on the open market, advertised as original and for going for the value of a truly original one, everyone should be happy. No, I am not suggesting that you would do such a thing - but your most recent post proves that others don't have such qualms. And that sort of practice makes me mad and causes me to point out what is a mariage and why they are not as good as fully original ones.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Georges -

I absolutely hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I believe that the dial on your watch has been refinished. There should be an applied metal (likely rhodium plated gold) Omega brand. Also, the "Swiss Made" is way too high on the dial. In addition, I have never seen a black dial on this reference before.

Here is an example of one with an original "sparkle" dial:

M9Fo3HV.jpg

The case, crown and hands look correct and the movement is fairly clean. You have a nice looking watch there. I just hope you didn't overpay.
gatorcpa

PS - On the issue of being continually outbid, I would recommend using Gixen.com. They will bid for you at 5 sec. before the end of the auction. No membership required and always free.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I was also thinking redial myself. I don't know a whole lot of characteristics with Omegas but from what I have seen posted here that omega is usually high quality. My view is there are some deficiencies here that look odd to me. The spacing under automatic from one end to the other. Marker lines a little off. Is this normal? I'm trying to learn more about trying to detect redials myself. I may be over picking nothing.

2017-06-02 22.24.28.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Georges -

I absolutely hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I believe that the dial on your watch has been refinished. There should be an applied metal (likely rhodium plated gold) Omega brand. Also, the "Swiss Made" is way too high on the dial. In addition, I have never seen a black dial on this reference before.

Here is an example of one with an original "sparkle" dial:

View attachment 12011666

The case, crown and hands look correct and the movement is fairly clean. You have a nice looking watch there. I just hope you didn't overpay.
gatorcpa

PS - On the issue of being continually outbid, I would recommend using Gixen.com. They will bid for you at 5 sec. before the end of the auction. No membership required and always free.
There is the same watch than mine for sale which is here which also has an OMEGA applied logo and black dial but which is completely made of supposed new old stock components. I didn't overpay mine this much but even no applied logo, the refinishing has been done quite well enough at least for me
Omega Seamaster Cal 751 Chronometer Swiss Made Auto Stainless St 1960 Watch JU18 | eBay

·
Registered
923 Posts
Hey Georges Mate,
Being married to a frenchy once removed I understand when your wrong your right.
( I am guessing you are from your location).
but a follow up pm to me saying something like below would be nice.
'G'Day Mate,
Lets forget my pm to you regarding your post. Even monkeys fall out of trees sometimes after all life is to short etc etc.'
Take Care
Molly

1 - 18 of 18 Posts