WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have received multiple pm's today asking if I am the person either buying or selling a watch from other members. It appears that someone (Ken Jacobson from London) is trying to use my credentials to scam people. He contacts the potential buyer/ seller and then uses my username to gain their confidence. Luckily many of the people contacted me through the pm system and we have stopped at least four scams today.

His email address: [email protected]

So buyers/ sellers beware and remember to pm the username to make sure your deal is legitimate.

Good luck and remember to be dilligent.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
Good advice.

I will only do business with someone here if we can communicate through PM.

Further, I am always suspicious of any sales offer that does not include photos.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Photos needs to be mandatory is a BIG +, nice addition also to set the watch to an random time by the sale moderators.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Further to this scam attempt I posted in the WTB section last week and was contacted by a Nicolas Abuaf [[email protected]] (notice the same email suffix) indicating he was from London as well. The offer was a little too good to be true and although there were pictures they were very "stock" looking done in a studio-type setting (surely pulled off of the internet). I had to ask for references and when I did he gave me a link that took me to some 2009 feedback on a Rolex forum for a "Nicolas Abauf". However some more checking revealed that THIS Nicolas Abauf is based in Buenos Aires...a slightly different zip code from London...that same weekend another WUS member posted about the same thing happening to him. Same guy, too good to be true offer, oh, and he wouldn't take PayPal...who doesn't take PayPal?!

I smelled a rat from the beginning with my guy and did not touch him with a ten foot pole. I suspect it is the same individual in both cases given the above similarities. However, it appears that his fraud tradecraft is evolving by assuming more credible identities such as an actual WUS member with high feedback. So, forewarned is forearmed...ask questions and trust your gut.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Whoever did this gave my name as reference check because I did business with the real KDsarch. So whoever did this was savy to our ways. Be careful.

·
Registered
238 Posts
There are loads of things you can do to avert scams.

Too many to list and we all need to be carefull but PAYAPL acceptance is not one of them
I DO NOT TAKE PAY PAL AND NEVER WILL

I do not agree with the company ethics or its origins if that means people dont deal with me so be it .

Pay Pal is one form of payment and in my opinon a form that has no place in my life , most people get scammed due to a lack of due dilligence payment methods even in the form of western union can be safe if you have carried out other checks.

Check the buyer/seller out .. ID/address proof / Drivers L Picture / Video Confernce with screen shot of the watch and a face / etc etc etc

Paypal is not the only method

·
Banned
2,084 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up!

There's always these sorts in this hobby that throw up red flags and cause much turmoil for the honest folks buying/selling, so your warning is much appreciated in these weary days with whats been going on.

Thanks, :-!
Jim
Mohawk Valley-upstate NY

I have received multiple pm's today asking if I am the person either buying or selling a watch from other members. It appears that someone (Ken Jacobson from London) is trying to use my credentials to scam people. He contacts the potential buyer/ seller and then uses my username to gain their confidence. Luckily many of the people contacted me through the pm system and we have stopped at least four scams today.

His email address: [email protected]

So buyers/ sellers beware and remember to pm the username to make sure your deal is legitimate.

Good luck and remember to be dilligent.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts
I placed a WTB for an Issued G-shock and I got Federico here to respond from London, fortunately I did some reference checks and found that the "real" Ferederico lives in Canada and not the UK. He is stealing the identity of a legit forum member. This guy may not be the best crook. He signed his real name to the bottom of the email.

federico Zamarripa <[email protected]>

View ContactTo:Rich Ocskasy <[email protected]>
Hello,

Thank you for your mail.Go ahead with my payment VIA
Western Union, send the fund to my details below

federico Zamarripa
64 Featherstone Street,
London,
EC1Y 8SY
England.

I will have it shipped once payment is confirmed.Please confirm you
shipping details to me soon.

Please get back to me soon.

Thanks

Wayne

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on this one.
It really is such a shame that these people cannot get off their asses and find a proper job instead of trying to prise money from us legitimate guys who have a passion for collecting watches. I personally have come up against problems when buying from overseas due to me being here in the UK which can be quite annoying, but with guys like this around I can fully understand why some people would be cautious. My suggestion is have as much communication as possible with a potential buyer/seller you can often see certain spelling errors that these guys make not a complete guide but in my experience it is a sign.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
There is one member on here who out of less than 40 post, and now has I think 4 or 5 watches on the For Sale Forum starting at $2600 going up to $9700. Now with most of his post being on the "Forum: Chinese Mechanical watches" which theirs nothing wrong with that except he does not seem to know anything about watches Chinese or otherwise, and was trying to argue on that forum a few months ago that his inexpensive Chinese watch should be worth as much as a good Swiss auto watch. Because he seems to thinks most Swiss watch parts are probably made in China? and that the Swiss watch company's are just ripping the public off with cheap labor. What? Now he is offering these "Real Swiss Very Expensive" watches for sale, gee just after talking about what a rip Swiss watches seem to be?. Please do some research on some members when they start selling high dollar watches after just a few post, as I'm sure many already do. I'm sorry if this sound a little vague but I don't want to give out the members name as he has not sold one of the watches listed yet, so no one has lost money to him that I know of? I have already made his forum name aware to one of the WUS forum moderators the WUS owner in the hopes they can check him out. I see he has updated at least 2 of his sales within the last 3 hours, so he's still out there and a potential threat.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Damn it's getting bad. I even see scammers on toy and comic book collector forums. They'll try to make a scam out of anything.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I deal on many different types of forums and one thing some forums do is require a member to have a minimum number of post on a forum before they can post something in their sales section. Now this won't stop all of the scammers out there but I think it would be a step in the right direction for this forum, as some people are dealing with large amounts of money with premium watches.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I had an attempt at scam possibly. He had zero posts. He wanted me to ship it to as non Pay Pal address in another country and a completely different [email protected] When I sent him an invoice and refund from the original order he backed out. He claims he cant change his PP address to his actual shipping address.I wasnt 100% positive it was a scam but I am 90% sure it was.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Further to this scam attempt I posted in the WTB section last week and was contacted by a Nicolas Abuaf [nicoab[email protected]] (notice the same email suffix) indicating he was from London as well. The offer was a little too good to be true and although there were pictures they were very "stock" looking done in a studio-type setting (surely pulled off of the internet). I had to ask for references and when I did he gave me a link that took me to some 2009 feedback on a Rolex forum for a "Nicolas Abauf". However some more checking revealed that THIS Nicolas Abauf is based in Buenos Aires...a slightly different zip code from London...that same weekend another WUS member posted about the same thing happening to him. Same guy, too good to be true offer, oh, and he wouldn't take PayPal...who doesn't take PayPal?!

I smelled a rat from the beginning with my guy and did not touch him with a ten foot pole. I suspect it is the same individual in both cases given the above similarities. However, it appears that his fraud tradecraft is evolving by assuming more credible identities such as an actual WUS member with high feedback. So, forewarned is forearmed...ask questions and trust your gut.
I am Nicolas Abuaf,based in Buenos Aires with partners and offices in the Us and Europe, but of course that is an impersonator which is using my name with an email address which is not mine! Reach me through private messages only to confirm my identity, this is my login in this forum. Will provide my only existing email addresses through private message for those who want to clear of they are dealing with the real me.

BE VERY CAUTIOUS WHEN DEALING OVER THE WEB. Scammers also learn new tricks and evolve, so it's important to always be conscious of what we are doing and who are we dealing with.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts