Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I'm looking to get myself a Rolex Explorer II (16570) to celebrate a significant event, but am having a hard time choosing between the black and the white dial.

Now, obviously personal preference comes in for which version you prefer, and I'm currently slightly leaning towards the white dial, mainly because that's something missing in my collection and it kind of pops a little more.
The complication is that realistically this will become my day-to-day go-to watch, and I spend most of my weekdays in a white shirt (or near-white, light blue as can be hinted in the pics below), and I can't help but think that a black dial would just go better with this.

For reference (and because I just love the gilt dial), I also tried on the Tudor Black Bay Black, but am a little unsure of the chunky profile on my girly-sized wrists.

My budget can definitely not stretch beyond £4,000..

explorer_black.JPG explorer_white.JPG

tudor_black.JPG

·
Registered
140 Posts
Polar looks killer and I think it would be fine with light/white dress shirts. I am in opposite position as I have a platinum dialed yacht master and am debating adding a black dialed 16570 to balance the collection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,931 Posts
Personally, I'm not a fan of the in-house Black Bay so much (and I'm an owner of an ETA Black Bay), so I'd rule that out; the extra thickness, the riveted bracelet, the missing smile for the sterilized, and anesthetized straight text just make the watch less desirable to me.

So that leaves the 16570s. For me, the choice is clear. White dial. But I'm a little biased because I am planning to buy a white dial 16570 in the coming months.

The Polar also dresses down quite well. Check this, for example:

Although, the black's not bad either:

But when I picture an Explorer II in my mind, it's always the Polar white. Something about the red hand against the white dial and the black markers making the indices pop off the dial.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The polar for sure. Check out metlins thread showing the polar doing all sorts of events in all sorts of attire with ease and blending in just fine.

Ive the same budget as yourself in mind and can find several early 2000’s models for £4000 with box and papers. There are a few mid 90’s for around £3500 but I would look to spend the top end of your budget for a more recent good condition example.

What year is the one you tried on? Is it the one tour thinking of buying or have you seen a private sale on chrono24 for example as you can often get a better deal than an AD second hand example

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I'll certainly be in the minority here with the black dial Explorer II. I'll echo the sentiments of what an august individual mentioned earlier, that a Rolex is perfect for the event (not that the Tudor isn't suitable, if that's what you go with).

Congratulations on your significant event, and your new timepiece OP!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Black dial EXPII.

I am not a fan of the Tudor Black Bay what so ever, but you're buying the watch not me.

Most of the Tudor stuff looks cheesy to me. Especially with that riveted bracelet.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input everyone, it does indeed seem like I don’t really have to worry about the polar with a white shirt. I very rarely wear a full suit (and never a tie).

Checked out Metlin’s thread, and if an international man of mystery can pull it off (or do you have to be one to do it), so should I.

The ones I tried were in the Watchfinder showroom, but I’m definitely going for Chrono24 as Watchfinder are somewhat overpriced (Italy appears filled to the brim with Exp II’s).
Looking to get one with solid end links, so I assume early 2000s.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I went for an earlier Polar simply for the T<25 dial that just has a better look even if it no longer glows. I also initially wanted SEL’s but that’s not possible with the T dial so I had to compromise. No regrets.

·
Registered
12,055 Posts
It depends on which other Watches you have got in your collection.

Assuming that the majority of your Watches have got darker dials, then I would suggest the white (polar) dial, which is what I prefer on the Explorer II's, usually, anyway.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmm.. I haven’t actually tried on a hollow end-link version, I’ve just assumed that they like any other bracelet with hollow end-links are more rattling than SEL. Am I mistaken?
The ones I tried (with SEL) felt really nice and the hollow centerlinks didn’t make the bracelet feel tatty.

·
Registered
20,931 Posts
Thanks for all the input everyone, it does indeed seem like I don’t really have to worry about the polar with a white shirt. I very rarely wear a full suit (and never a tie).

Checked out Metlin’s thread, and if an international man of mystery can pull it off (or do you have to be one to do it), so should I.

The ones I tried were in the Watchfinder showroom, but I’m definitely going for Chrono24 as Watchfinder are somewhat overpriced (Italy appears filled to the brim with Exp II’s).
Looking to get one with solid end links, so I assume early 2000s.
I don't think you have to be an international man of mystery to pull it off. I consider myself just a national man of mystery, but I think I'd be able to wear a white 16570 as part of my regular rotation.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts