WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was finally able to hit a thift shop I havent been to in a couple years. Didnt have much but says he has a box of old watches in another storage that he will dig out for me the next couple weeks. I did sort thru a ziplock bag he had and he gave me these for $12. I'm hoping to start getting back to him at least a couple times a month. I've gotten some decent watches at decent prices. My best deal was a dirty and scratched up $5 spaceview quite a while back. Here's what I grabbed today.
I like the Elgin, thinking its early 50's model. Not running right now and needs a crystal. The Clinton is running now, the Jaro is running now, has a no jewel movement and the Hamlin runs just fine withva 1j movement and needs a crystal also.

0313171804a-1.jpg
0313171805-1.jpg
0313171806-1.jpg
0313171804-1.jpg
0313171753-1.jpg
0313171804b-1.jpg
0313171822-1.jpg

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
I really like the Elgin with the fancy lugs. What's inside the Jaro? When I see a ton of inscriptions on a watch, with even the most meaningless of features listed on the case and dial, I've already got a bad feeling, that it might have some pin-lever wonder (with most of the jewels being useless capstones) inside.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really like the Elgin with the fancy lugs. What's inside the Jaro? When I see a ton of inscriptions on a watch, with even the most meaningless of features listed on the case and dial, I've already got a bad feeling, that it might have some pin-lever wonder (with most of the jewels being useless capstones) inside.
And correct you are my friend. Lol This is inside the Jaro. It was a curious grab out of the bunch.
0313171818.jpg

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
And correct you are my friend. Lol This is inside the Jaro. It was a curious grab out of the bunch.
View attachment 11172522
Wish I had the same luck with lotteries as I do with guessing what's inside a watch...

The fact of it being a pin-lever is nothing compared to the fact, that it's a rust-infested pin lever.

Reactions: bsshog40

·
Registered
776 Posts
Its probably stupid but the way I got crystals for some of my old elgins is that after I found nothing but brick walls on my searches I ended up buying up 1000s of crystals on ebay through cheap lots (maybe spent 100 dollars) and now 90% of the time I have one but its a pain going through them all to find one to fit.

How can I find the right crystal for the Elgin? Can really find the style number. I think the serial # on the movement actully puts it to 1949. Do I buy a bulk group off ebay and hope one fits? Or is there a way of getting the right one? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its probably stupid but the way I got crystals for some of my old elgins is that after I found nothing but brick walls on my searches I ended up buying up 1000s of crystals on ebay through cheap lots (maybe spent 100 dollars) and now 90% of the time I have one but its a pain going through them all to find one to fit.
Thats what I was thinking I may have to do.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
1 - 14 of 14 Posts