WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 5 different solar G-Shocks that use the Panasonic CTL1616 solar cell. The second one failed yesterday right after I mocked this solar cell, it's like the watch gods are punishing me. :oops:

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=15290

Here's the original fallen comrade.
GW-300A-2 solar atomic, first sold in the US in '03. The solar cell on this one failed in Sept. '05.

Replaced the 2.3V solar cell with a standard CR1616 3V lithium battery. It's a cheap fix as I had a CR1616 handy but there is a voltage difference.

This G-2800 not so "tough solar" failed yesterday. Same thing happened, it charges but quickly discharges since it can no longer retain a charge.

If you search for "Panasonic CTL1616" you'll find prices ranging from USD 8.50 to 20 plus shipping.

Thks for viewing,
Adam in NYC.

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,587 Posts
Hi Adam,

At least you know where to find them... I have once a CLT2016 replaced and it costed me a total of €14,-, including 200m water resist test. I believe the problems are Panasonic to blame, making Casio and their customers victim of this battery.

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hello all,

I am so sorry to hear about your watch. Hopefully the replacement will last!

So which models suffer from this battery type? Doing a quick Google search showed a few models that utilized this battery, but not many. Also, is this an older solar G-Shock problem, or in most/all solars?

Always,

Sam

·
Banned
5,568 Posts
Hi Adam,

Sorry to hear about that:-( . There has been much talk about the problems with that battery cell. It seemed to be mostly the ones that were in the GW-300 which you have, also in the GW-500 when they first came out. I have a GW-500 and I must say I have been very lucky so far and have not had it die on me. Having said that, I'm gonna go say a prayer so mine doesn't crap out on me :-D .

·
Registered
986 Posts
Partial list of CTL1616 powered G's and Protreks

G-shocks
GW series
(the 01 versions are solar but not atomic)
G seres

MTG
Protrek
PRG-50
PRG-60
PRG-70
PRG-80
PRG-1000
PRG-1100
PAW-1200
Mind you this is only a incomplete list but you get the gist of it

Cheers
Leon

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the kind words everyone. :)

The problem doesn't lie with Casio but it's their problem to rectify. When I searched for a CTL1616 last year, no US site was found. Now, one US Casio service center advertises them. I'm sure the CTL1616 can be found in any Casio service center because the problem must be known to them by now.

Most Tough Solars including solar ProTreks currently use this cell, solar Frogmans use the Panasonic ML2016 that works fine as far as I know. For the regular non-solar lithium batteries, the 2016 is a larger & much more popular battery, some companies use the 1616 to save space as it's smaller but I've never liked it as much.

·
G-Shock Mod
14,247 Posts
i am hoping that casio take care of this problem with the current production models :-(

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The pics look much better Sjors. The pattern on the dial/under crystal bezel looks much clearer.

I hope Casio get Panasonic to take care of the problem too. It's really just a matter of higher QC, much higher.

·
Banned
95 Posts
well its real tragic .and sadly me i have been victim of failed batteries too.my prg 50 and prg 60 both had this battery problem .both use ctl 1616 battery and both these solar batteries failed after just about a year.it was real bad experience ,so as in our country we do not haev any solar battery replacemnets so i had to replace my protrek solar batteries with regular standard nonrechargeable cells that is cr 1616 .so my watches survived but they are no longer solar watches anymore and i haev to replace the cr 1616 in these watches after every 6 months or so!

so this is a real problem in casio tough solar watches and this prpblem needs to be cured soon i hope

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry to hear about your ProTreks, have you tried contacting your local Casio service center?

·
Registered
437 Posts
when i contacted casio in the US they said

"Dear Casio customer

You will need to send it in with a detailed letter explaining what is wrong with
your return address and telephone number. There is no recall or any problems with
our batteries. This is not a watch with a 10 year battery so eventually the battery
will die. We can replace the battery it is $17.95 plus your local state tax.

thank you"

when it was pointed out that the internet said there was a problem with this type of battery, the response i got was....

"Dear Casio customer

Please send it in with a detailed letter, and the techniction will make the final
evaluation.

thank you"

so i'd recommend contacting Casio and making a stink if you have one that has failed. The watch may not have a 10 year battery, but the assumption when buying one, is that you never need to change the battery, not that you need to change it as often as a CR2016... :think:

·
Registered
445 Posts
madmacs said:
when i contacted casio in the US they said

"Dear Casio customer

You will need to send it in with a detailed letter explaining what is wrong with
your return address and telephone number. There is no recall or any problems with
our batteries. This is not a watch with a 10 year battery so eventually the battery
will die.
...so the 10 year battery is generally superior? Maybe compared to the CTL1616. I've heard good things about the batteries in the 2300 and Frogman series so maybe they can last 10 plus years. Interesting response, although few companies would come out and say "yeah, we've found thing xyz to suck and are trying to engineer around it as we speak" Which could be close to the truth.

I'm still thinking of getting a gw-5600j but the battery thing is holding me back. I like the atomic thing though...what to do...the pressure!!!

Also I wonder about the Citizen eco-drives. Essentially they are solar with a storage cell(battery) as well. I wonder maybe they quit charging after awhile and if that is why there are so many used ones on ebay?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not sure I trust people that spell technician as "techniction." :-D

Pls keep us all up to date on how the free repair goes. I can buy them an hour away for USD $8.50 plus tax, but free is always good. :-!

I wouldn't hesistate to buy a GW-5600J, the solar cell can be found if a problem ever occurs.

This GW-5600GJ is my favorite solar atomic. :)

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hear you Anton, "never change the battery" is a marketing gimmick, but I hope solar cells can last around 7 years like the first G-Shocks. :)

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,587 Posts
Adam in NYC said:
I hear you Anton, "never change the battery" is a marketing gimmick, but I hope solar cells can last around 7 years like the first G-Shocks. :)
All my Raysman work perfectly and they are 7 years old now.

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
437 Posts
RWare said:
Also I wonder about the Citizen eco-drives. Essentially they are solar with a storage cell(battery) as well. I wonder maybe they quit charging after awhile and if that is why there are so many used ones on ebay?
my nighthawk is still running ok... :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I found some info that I would like to share. It's from Wikipedia from the section on lithium batteries.

Apparantly these batteries start losing capacity from the moment they are manufactured. The rate of loss is related directly to the average temperature of the cell, and its state of charge.

Cells kept at 40% charge last the longest at any temperature.

At room temp,and a 100% charge level, 20% capacity loss per year is expected. The loss will be more if it is on your wrist nice and warm or left in warm areas.

I would suggest a cool place at night and to keep the battery in the medium range.

They also suggest the battery be drained to low about 1 in 30 times.

Here is the link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_battery

1 - 20 of 56 Posts