WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Another vintage Omega inbound ...

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Marrick 
#1 ·
Well, the fever is still high, but at least I found some temporary relief. While scouring the seemingly endless possibilities of vintage eye candy, this one just made me jump. I just love the old bumpers.

This one has a super clean steel case holding a Calibre 351 movement. I'm not certain, but I think the dial is original. The painted "AUTOMATIC" text is slightly sloppy, but the redials I've seen all had the "Swiss Made" added in and usually in the wrong location. Of course I could be totally off.

Sorry for the low res borrowed pics. I'll be sure to post a few new ones when she gets home. So ... what do you guys think?

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

See less See more
Reactions: vintageguy
#3 ·
Hi there,

Might as well jump in and says that it is a Redial... other than the poor text... the minute markers are in the wrong place/don't line up!

The movement looks in good shape from that one pic....

Would be interested to see some more pics when it arrives!

Marc

#4 ·
The dial is definitely not original. The problem with these is that Omega's coatings used on dials in the 1940's and 1950's wasn't very good. Most of the time, moisture got in there and made a mess of the original dial paint. Add in the issue of radiation damage from the radium luminous material used in those days, and you'll find that precious few of these early automatics have original dials.

It took me much longer than expected, but I was able to find this picture of a similar dial which I think is original:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Not the greatest picture, but it should help if you decide to try again.

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

#6 ·
It took me much longer than expected, but I was able to find this picture of a similar dial which I think is original:
I had the same problem and gave up looking for a pic....

As for the watch as a whole.... is it just a case of a redial? I only ask that, as the movement does look very clean... when compared to the case inside... Like I say above, I would be interested to see some more pics when it arrives... inc. case back serial number!

Would also be interested to see how the replacement crystal has been fitted!

Marc

#5 ·
Figures on the redial. Should have known better!! Silly mistake. Definitely showing my novice skills.
tem
So ... now what. I'm searching dial threads, but who do I have do a correct restoration? Bienne? How would I go about getting that done? Know anybody else with the right templates for these oldies? I'm now guessing that both of my bumpers are redials. Any where other than fleabay that may have individual dials for sale?

Thanks again for all the help!!

#7 ·
So ... now what. I'm searching dial threads, but who do I have do a correct restoration? Bienne? How would I go about getting that done? Know anybody else with the right templates for these oldies? I'm now guessing that both of my bumpers are redials. Any where other than fleabay that may have individual dials for sale?
Unfortunately, Omega had so many different suppliers, dial styles, finishes and colors that I know of no one that can accurately reproduce all the design elements on these dials. Maybe some of the members here can share good/bad experiences with specific dial refinishing firms.

New dials are virtually unknown for these watches, as the supply of spares from Omega long ago was used to replace damaged originals. Omega Bienne is only going to send it out to be refinished again, as they rarely have extra dials for watches this old. It will also cost about $1,000 (which is several times the value of your watch) to do the movement work and that doesn't include a few hundred more for the redial.

The only lower cost alternative would be to try to pick up a non-running watch from eBay with an original dial and do a transplant. Then you can sell the non-runner with the bad dial for a little less than what you paid. This is easier said than done, as these bumper movements are very reliabile. Many collectors buy them as spares for when parts are needed.

Good luck with your project,
gatorcpa

#8 ·
I'm also thinking the hard part would be determing just what the original dial would have been when it was new. I finally found one that's pretty darned close though. I guess I'm in limbo really until it gets here in my hands and I can take some MUCH better pics.

#9 ·
I think your best bet for an accurate dial design could be original advertising!

I would also suggest the one you just posted above is a redial.... However, could have matched the original design?

Marc

#10 ·
Ok. Here's a few fresh pics I just snapped after I just got it off the truck. It looks really really good for it's age, IMHO. Unfortunately it has to be a redial. It just torques my shorts, but it is what it is. Now I have to scour the planet for a replacement or find someone I can trust to refinish it the right way.

Watch Strap Watch accessory Fashion accessory Analog watch

Here's what the Omega vintage lookup says:

Watch Analog watch Photograph Watch accessory White

Seamaster
Gents' leather strap

Dimensions: Ø32,5 mm
Reference
CK 2635
International collection
1949 - 1954
Movement
Type: Automatic chronometer certified
Caliber number: 351 / 354
Cal. 351
Created in 1949, 17 jewels, sometimes COSC
Cal. 354
Created in 1952, 17 jewels, COSC
Both with central sweep-second hand
Case
Stainless steel
Case back
Screw-in
Dial
Different types available
Crystal
Armoured hesalite
Bracelet
Leather
Water resistance
30 meters

#11 ·
How do these 'bumper' movements work? It looks like there's no rotating mass to wind the mainspring? Or is it that big mass on the right side? Does it 'bump' from one end of that not-360* track to the other?

Thanks for any insight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.