WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't see any red flags here, other than that the large numerals seem a little too clean and well-filled. Any thoughts about this dial? The price seems right and I'm considering buying this. Thanks for any input!

Wakmann.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
I don't see any obvious concerns. If I were considering it, I would spend some time checking photos of the same model to confirm that the hands are correct.

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't see any obvious concerns. If I were considering it, I would spend some time checking photos of the same model to confirm that the hands are correct.
Thanks for the tip! A quick google images search shows there are other Wakmanns out there with the same hands, although its hard to know about the exact model. I'll look around a bit more. I worried about the fill in the hands, too, but that color does seem consistent with images I've seen.

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
And the lume in the hands matches the remaining lume on the dial, which is a good sign.

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not that anyone was on the edge of their seat about this or anything, but I thought I'd mention I'm passing on this watch. I actually have no reason to think its not a good one, and at around $900 fully serviced (although I know that can cover a wide variety of things) was probably a good buy. But, its sort of boring: just says "hey, I have a medium-quality vintage chrono!" I'm holding out for something more interesting.

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
Not that anyone was on the edge of their seat about this or anything, but I thought I'd mention I'm passing on this watch. I actually have no reason to think its not a good one, and at around $900 fully serviced (although I know that can cover a wide variety of things) was probably a good buy. But, its sort of boring: just says "hey, I have a medium-quality vintage chrono!" I'm holding out for something more interesting.
If this has a Landeron movement, as I expect, then $900 is not cheap, especially since I seem to see some brassing at the tips of the lugs.

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
If this has a Landeron movement, as I expect, then $900 is not cheap, especially since I seem to see some brassing at the tips of the lugs.
Thanks, good advice. I looked at a ton of Wakmanns, on eBay and various other sites as well as private dealers. Most wanted $1200-$1800 which made me figure $800-1000 was the real price, and this one seemed better than most: apparently legit dial, some sort of servicing, etc. But I’m still learning. I think sellers expect a premium for Wakmanns because of the Breitling connection. Anyway, I’m mostly just looking around, I’ve promised myself no purchases for a while.

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
Thanks, good advice. I looked at a ton of Wakmanns, on eBay and various other sites as well as private dealers. Most wanted $1200-$1800 which made me figure $800-1000 was the real price, and this one seemed better than most: apparently legit dial, some sort of servicing, etc. But I’m still learning. I think sellers expect a premium for Wakmanns because of the Breitling connection. Anyway, I’m mostly just looking around, I’ve promised myself no purchases for a while.
Yes, sellers are often hyping the Wakmann-Breitling connection, but one does not find so many Breitlings with entry-level Landeron movements in chrome-plated cases.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes, sellers are often hyping the Wakmann-Breitling connection, but one does not find so many Breitlings with entry-level Landeron movements in chrome-plated cases.
There was an ebay seller selling breitling branded bridges for Landeron 48s a while back. And a separate seller selling Breitling dials for landerons. People would have been buying them to 'make a fake'.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts