WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been toying with the idea of starting yet another watch channel. I have a few fundamental issues with a lot of what's available now (although a lot of it is good as well). One is length... I'm sick to death of wading through 25 minutes on a BB58. It just devolves into rambling. Two is over production. I think we all want to see something that looks good, but when this stuff starts turning into a pseudo sitcom, or you've made it look like you're in a studio and the dramatic music is playing, I think the proverbial shark has been jumped. Three, with the demise of Horology House, I think there's the opportunity to do some really quality close up videography of pieces and have it stand out. Four, advertising. Quite a few channels are clearly doing paid videos for brands. That's fine, but when you don't point that out (like Just One More Watch) I think you're doing a bit of a disservice at best.

So I'm curious: is there any appetite for yet one more watch, err, watch channel? I suppose at the end of the day the quality would dictate whether it receives any attention, and I'd be inclined to do it for fun whether or not anyone ended up viewing it, but as the 'market' seems a bit saturated I was curious what the general feeling was.

·
Premium Member
36,407 Posts
This is an already overcrowded field, some good, but a lot of bad channels and reviews, IMHO.

Try it and strive to do the best you can. If you build it (correctly), they will come.....

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Rather than focusing on what other channels you DON'T want to be like, you might find more success and attract more viewers by focusing on what you DO want that would make your channel unique and worth watching. Just a thought.

·
Registered
21,050 Posts
I watch Watchfinder (great production value) and Jenni Elle (I'm not going to lie, it's because it's a cute girl talking about watches), and even then, I only watch either of them on occasion. I have zero interest in more YouTube content on watches. I'm fine being snobby and flip on here, but there's nothing like a YouTube comments section to make you lose your faith in humanity. All the best luck to you though.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Plenty of watch channel but only a few got substances.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
The complaints you have about the channels that already exist are the reasons I don't watch or pay attention to any of them. If you can stick to what you say you want to do, I would welcome your new channel. Most of the existing channels are pathetic and I can't get through a whole episode without going nuts.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Give it a try and see. Personally, I have no problem with length (longer videos) by the way. I actually prefer them to the short (say, 5-8 min) ones.

·
Registered
31,631 Posts
Worth a go,if you make interesting videos with a bit of humour thrown in, kinda of a cross between the knowledgeable but boring Tim and the completely off the wall Archie.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Not watching much of YT watch content these days so I’m indifferent. The question is, is this something you want to do, would you have the time and would you get satisfaction out of it. How long can you keep it going, are you ready for the trolls and all that... Personally I couldn’t be bothered.

·
Registered
844 Posts
My favorite by far is Watchfinder. No personalities involved, just great video of watches and some history or info about them. HH was good videography, but he lacked substance, I can see the dial has a "beautiful sunburst effect" you don't have to show me and tell me.

To me a mix of great video of watches and interesting content about watches, or brands or even watchmakers past and present would be good. There seems to be enough watch reviews, personal opinions and top 10 lists...but they still get subscribers so what do I know. Give it a go!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts