WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am waiting delivery of a new Casio GW-3000B-1AER. I the meantime, I have been checking out the reception in Spain from the German transmitter. I found this item (Antenna Citizen RCW/SU-3 - Antenna Citizen RCW/SU-3 View Full-Size Image A... | Relojesmanía - Relojes Online. Relojes de Moda al Mejor Precio. | Citizen, Waves, Receiver, Radio, Station) advertized here in Spain. The distributor claims that it will work with any radio controlled watch and is designed specifically for users in Spain and Portugal who experience bad reception from the German transmitter.

I would be interested to receive any comments from anyone who has used this item.

Michael.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Someone should make a device which is basically a little radio transmitter with an ethernet socket and/or wif-fi so it can receive a connection from your router to detect the time via the internet. Then it could broadcast a small local signal (of the same sort sent out by the time stations) so that your watch can sync from it within ten or fifteen feet. Just an idea...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Someone should make a device which is basically a little radio transmitter with an ethernet socket and/or wif-fi so it can receive a connection from your router to detect the time via the internet. Then it could broadcast a small local signal (of the same sort sent out by the time stations) so that your watch can sync from it within ten or fifteen feet. Just an idea...
I agree with you 100%. With to days technology I would have thought that this would have been produced a long time ago. Since I started this thread I have been reliably informed that the Citizen RCW/SU-3 antenna does in fact improve reception/distance considerably. I am currently waiting for delivery of a new GW300 and if I am unable to pick up the German signal I will purchase the Citizen antenna. The distributor for it here in Spain is so confident that it will work, that he has agreed in writing to refund the total cost of the item if it fails.

I will post the results very soon.

Michael.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since I started this thread I gave up waiting for my GW-3000B.1AER to arrive from Amazon.es, so decided to purchased a GW-A1000-1AER. I found a company here in Spain who delivered the watch from Valencia to Malaga in 20hrs and also gave a competitive price (€400 inc 21% tax and delivery).

I got it pm yesterday and decided, before setting up the time correctly using my MacBook Pro time, to see if there was a remote chance that it would sync with Mainflingen, Germany. Before going to bed I attached the A1000 to an outside pillar by hooking it to a climbing plant. I made sure that the watch antenna was pointing towards the German antenna. When I got up this morning and brought the watch in to check the sync result, I was ecstatic. During the night the watch had automatically received a signal from Germany and updated the time.

I could hardly believe it due to the distance I am from Mailflingen. It is some 1140 miles or 1830 kms., well outside of the receiving area. I checked the watch time with my MacBook Pro time and it was spot on. I am lost for words. When I decided to buy a GShock with atomic time function, I was very pessimistic that I would receive anything. In my region of southern Spain, there are many mountains, and my house, although in the country side is only a short distance from major overhead power lines.

Anyway, I can honestly say that I am truly impressed with the new GW-A1000 especially with it's atomic time function. Btw. I purchased it as a present to myself on my 74th birthday. What a lovely surprise.

Michael
Malaga, ES.

·
Premium Member
7,428 Posts
I agree with you 100%. With to days technology I would have thought that this would have been produced a long time ago. Since I started this thread I have been reliably informed that the Citizen RCW/SU-3 antenna does in fact improve reception/distance considerably. I am currently waiting for delivery of a new GW300 and if I am unable to pick up the German signal I will purchase the Citizen antenna. The distributor for it here in Spain is so confident that it will work, that he has agreed in writing to refund the total cost of the item if it fails.

I will post the results very soon.

Michael.

The additional antenna is rather popular in southern Italy where AD's provide it for free to those who require it. It has been discussed in the Italian Citizen blog under this topic.

Since it is a totally passive component based only on a couple of coils it can be used with any type of watch regardless of the brand. It has been reported that Seiko's take advantage of it so I am sure that it's good also for Casio's.

My home is in northern Italy well within the range of the Mainflingen transmitter so I've had no chance of testing the antenna.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts