WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

First let me apologize for my first post being a request for help but I would appreciate any information you can provide about this pocket watch my wife bought in Budapest, Hungary. I have posted several pictures but for ease of reading the watch has the following markings
Marque de Fabrique
L.U.C.
15 Rubis
Ancre, Ligne, Droite
J Feldmann, Budapest
The serial number is 55920 but I cannot find a LUC forum to date the watch. There are also watchmaker repair scribbles/marks (one is too faint to read, the other is "36 VIII 29" which is the way Hungarians (particularly in the old days) write 1936 August 29. The antique dealer who sold it to my wife told her it is .800 silver but I can not find any marking to that effect. My wife is a native Hungarian so there is no possibility that she misunderstood. I have researched as best I can and I do find there was a Jozef (Joseph) Feldmann watchmaker in Budapest circa 1900. So the best I can piece together is that (perhaps) Joseph Feldmann either sold or owned a Louis Ulysse Chopard (L.U.C ) watch. And that it was repaired or cleaned by a different watchmaker in 1936. The watch is in good shape. After a professional cleaning it runs fine and keeps perfect time.

Any comments welcome. Although I'm curious I don't care so much about the value because it was a gift from my wife and will never be sold.
Watch4.JPG

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,658 Posts
Hi and welcome.

Mikrolisk confirms that the case was made by LU Chopard. Typically case makers supplied cases to watchmakers not the other way round. I’d suggest the watch is likely to be pre 1915 and Mikrolisk shows the case mark was registered 1891.

I can’t speak for Hungarian watchmaking but since the case is Swiss and the Swiss commonly sold watches to watch retailers/ “makers” I’d suspect the whole watch is Swiss.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I'm not sure one can date a L.U.C watch by the serial number on the case and think more it's the number of cases of a specific model.

Here is a 1930s model that is waiting for a fix up.

L.U.C always branded their movements that I have seen.

And here you can see that this case has a lover number than your watch even though it's newer. This one has a watchmakers mark from August 1940. :)

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,183 Posts
Welcome to Watchuseek! I must say that that looks like a moderately mundane and possibly generic movement - a little like this one in "mirror image" to turn it into a savonette (closed face) version:

I presume that it is stamped with something to link it to L.U.Chopard (lettering, logo, etc.)?

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
869 Posts
I presume that it is stamped with something to link it to L.U.Chopard (lettering, logo, etc.)?

Hartmut Richter
You meant ... apart from inside of the case? (as shown on OP images) and yes, the movement does look "mundane" as you put it I suppose like
many others of that era. Interestingly, here is an example of stamped LUC movement (left image) from tripple signed Chopard PW
(albeit this movement is from open face watch) They do look very similar. In the left example the "LUC" is stamped on the barrel bridge near the click spring screws. In the OP photo there is something stamped on the barrel bridge but it's out of focus.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I would say that at that time there were several "mundane" calibers in the Chopard factory
regards enrico

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,183 Posts
Aha! The right one says it all: "...sur une ebauche Fontainemelon" (i.e. based on an FHF movement). Many thanks, enrico.

Hartmut Richter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts