WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haha...well I did! I own a DS30. I wear it very carefully despite the hardened sub steel. One day a few months ago, I was standing at my kitchen window making coffee and looked down to admire my DS30 in mint condition after approx 2 years of ownership and I saw what looked lie a small hair on the bezel at 12:00 O'clock. So I figured I'd swipe it off but of coarse you can guess the ending.....it didn't swipe off! I can't figure out how it got there!

I will say, it doesn't bother me because one would need to look for it. I mean, it is VERY slight and in no way does it jump out at you.

The funny thing is the SAME exact thing occurred a few years earlier when I owned an Achimede Outdoor Protect. It was perfect until one day I looked down and saw a similar mark right on the bezel at 11:00 O'clock. So it's me! What the heck do I do to these watches when I THINK I'm so consciously careful?

I am just curious if anyone has successfully scratched their Damasko without knowing how they did it.....or am I alone in this experience?

btw, I since sold my Outdoor with full disclosure on the auction regarding the scratch. I did send it back to Greg prior to the sale and he did his magic greatly reducing the mark and it still sold for $500.00. The buyer wanted it despite the history of the mark!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Awesome!!

I have a Damasko DS30 with a slight ding on the bezel (bough it like that) I used daily and it is my "beater" watch (still take it off when doing labor intensive stuff (G Shock is perfect in that scenario), my DSub 1 still looks pristine...and also have an Archimede Outdoor AntiMag that has a ding on the side of the case (so much for hardened steel)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Not to be happy for your nicked watch but.... I'm glad I'm not the only one! Lol

A person buys one of these watches to presumably have a like- new watch forever.... which really is an impossibility. And then if it gets that little blemish, one can be disappointed.

But, despite the blemish, it will always look better, in the long-run, over a standard 316 stainless steel watch.

Still, I can't figure put how my two hardened watches ended up with a mark on them at almost the same spot without remembering an impacts in either case!

·
Registered
201 Posts
happened to me too! I bought a DS30 new and after about 4 months of daily wear, I noticed a little hair-like scratch on the bezel at about 5:30. Don’t remember the incident that caused it and it surprised me as I’m pretty easy on my watches. Doesn’t bother me though - I figured that if I had gone with a 316L watch with a lot of polishing, it would look much worse for the wear.
part of me is content with the little scratch, because now there is something on the watch other than the serial number that proves it’s MINE :)

·
Registered
632 Posts
I've only had my DA47 for 5 months. Not a single mark, scratch, or scuff on the case or bezel. The bracelet, on the other hand is starting to show some of the faintest signs of wear. More like faint rub marks vs scratches. I also have a tegimented Sinn 756, which after several years has only accumulated a couple small dings on the very edge of the bezel, but the case sides/lugs look like new. These hardened cases are in fact more durable, but are not completely invulnerable.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
What I find interesting is, while I'd be briefly unhappy if this happened to me, I love seeing peoples heavily worn watches. Show me a watch that was worn daily, through all of life's ups & downs, and I view the scratches as the souvenirs the watch has acquired on its journey on the owner's wrist.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Absolutely! If I look to buy a vintage watch, I might avoid a refinished example and choose instead, a well worn watch!

But I doubt any Damasko will exhibit a lot of history despite a slight hairline mark such as what is on my watch.

If I showed my wife the "scratch", she'd look at me like I'm crazy! haha! I know she'd say to me.... "What scratch?!?!"

We, on this forum, understand!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I bought both my DA45 & DC56 Si used. The DA45 had a few wear marks on the bezel insert & a mark on the external crystal coating, but after 3 1/2 years of regular wear, I've only managed to add a tiny wear mark or 2 to the bezel insert. Similarly, the DC56 Si looked new & after 2 1/2 years of regular wear, I've added a little, barely visible, surface scratch/mark on the bezel.

In contrast, all of my regular stainless & hardened titanium watches, even smaller/thinner models that are less likely to be impact magnets, that I've worn in regular rotation over the same time period have gotten much more noticeably scratched/dinged from the occasional encounter w/door jambs, furniture, etc. So count me in a as a believer in Damasko's ice-hardened cases.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
No scratches on my DC56 purchased new in 2008, and no scratches on the bracelet I got later. All my other watches of other brands I purchased new around the same time and later have at least hairlines.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I have my DC56 for two years this month and as I alternate it with my Sub and as it has almost never stopped, it has been on my wrist now for roundabout 350-400 days of real use.

Out of a natural reflex I have always checked a watch when I bumped against something or so. And still do as everyone else here, I guess. But with my DC56 I don't do it anymore in order check for damage, I do it only to affirm that - as always - there was none. It's so cool!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a smooth spot on the case, not really a scratch but can tell the bead blasted finish was worn off somehow. Will post a pic when I get a chance (is on daughters wrist as I type this and she is asleep as it is 5 AM here in NC)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's different! I wonder if Damasko could ever refinish their watches if one was so inclined to go to the trouble and expense of sending it in?

Btw...BTW.... I did show my wife the slight scratch and while she acknowledged that she saw it, she said it looks fine.

·
Premium Member
3,202 Posts
That's different! I wonder if Damasko could ever refinish their watches if one was so inclined to go to the trouble and expense of sending it in?

Btw...BTW.... I did show my wife the slight scratch and while she acknowledged that she saw it, she said it looks fine.
Sounds like Damaskos can be refinished, see post # 6:

Repairing a small ding

Having a great time….

1 - 20 of 40 Posts