WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 396 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look, Rolexes are drop-dead gorgeous and all, but there's part of me that feels like I wouldn't buy one out of principle alone. Now my principles are entirely different than others, because my detraction from Rolex is how darn ubiquitous they are, and because with a brand that big you really are paying a chunk of change for their name and to perpetuate all their advertisements and endorsements. I'd rather have something slightly more unique, and where more of the dollars were going to the actual watch, or to the producer, versus some tennis or golf star.

Let me be clear - I lust after bico GMTs, respect the Sub as an OG, and would rock a Daytona any day ... just not if I had to write the check for it :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Tag Heuer (just never really liked them at all), Invicta, DW, MVMT, any and all "Fashion" watches...

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Invicta, Ginault, certain Steinharts or any other homage brand that looks exactly like a Rolex Sub but with a different name on the dial. I also won't buy an NTH due to the near 50% price hike in 2 years.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I feel the responses about not buying homages. I totally get what they're trying to do, and respect that the "look" is being made available at a more affordable price for people, but I'm not going to buy a Bulova space watch if I really want a Speedy, because every time I look down I'll be like, "yeah, that's nice, but...."

·
Premium Member
IWC chrono: Pilot or Porsche Design Titan
4,628 Posts
Omega.

Around 2002 I decided I wanted a better-that-average chronograph to wear as a daily watch. My wife surprised me with the watch I had chosen: an Omega Broad Arrow. Twice while under warranty I had to send it back to Omega for repair. A third failure was on my dime, but I figured it was my daily companion so off to Omega it went. When it failed a fourth time, the estimate for repair was over $2,000, which included Omega's effort to restore it to like-new with a new bezel and dial and hands...

I declined Omega's estimate and decided to let an independent watchmaker service it's mechanical faults. In the meantime I thought I would buy a basic Speedmaster Professional to have while the other was being repaired. Turned out to be a mistake. The new Speedmaster (purchased from an authorized dealer) didn't work right. I sent it to Nesbitt's in Seattle for repair. It went to them three times before they told me they wouldn't try again, and told me to send it to Omega in Secaucus, New Jersey. That soured me on Nesbitt's and I'll never use or recommend them to anyone. It took Omega "only" two tries to rectify the problem.

Four trips for repair in seven years on the Broad Arrow, five trips for repair in a few months on the Speedmaster Pro. Once both were functional, I sold them as quickly as I could before they imploded.

Fast forward a couple years, and I found myself looking at Omega again, this time at a Planet Ocean chronograph. I visited a boutique and examined the watch. The salesperson wound it up. I engaged the start/stop pusher, then the reset pusher and DOINK! The pusher popped out (but not off). "Is this right?" I asked. "Ah..." said the salesperson, "we'll need to adjust that."

I looked to the ceiling and thanked the Universe for keeping me from buying another Omega. I haven't been tempted since. In all fairness, I know my experience is in the minority, and that many owners are delighted with their Omega watches. I just won't ever be one of them.

·
Vendor
26,612 Posts
I also won't buy an NTH due to the near 50% price hike in 2 years.
We've raised prices $50 since we launched in April of 2016.

$50, in three and a half years.

The prices have gone from $600-$625 to $650-$675. That's 8%. That's barely keeping up with inflation.

We've also made several improvements to the product in that time. Better bracelet and clasp, rhodium-plated markers, tighter QC standards, and regulation to within 1/2 of the movement manufacturer's accuracy spec. That all increased our costs.

Costs go up over time, mate. I can't help it. Movement costs have gone up as much as 60% in that time. Raw materials have gone up, too. So has labor cost.

Before we even launched, we got hit with a 10% production cost increase, but this was after we announced prices on the first model. We hadn't started pre-orders yet, so I had an opportunity to raise prices right there and then. Rather than pass that increased cost onto customers, I just ate it. In fact, we maintained the original 2016 price for over two years.

When we found an issue with the new bracelet last year, I had new links made up and shipped out to everyone, no charge.

When I see someone was over-charged for shipping, I issue them a refund for the difference, even if it's just a few bucks.

The first model we made, way back in 2013 had a movement with a high defect rate. In 2014, I sent everyone who bought one an email, telling them I was extending their warranty for another year, and asked them to contact me with any issues they had.

We're typically turning repairs around in less than a week, and responding to support requests same-day.

You might get the idea I take care of my customers, and stand behind the product.

A lot of customers think the watches should cost more. Sorry you don't agree.

Tapatalk is all natural. Wash in cold water and tumble dry on low heat. Some talk shrinking may occur.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I must have been mistaken as I recall NTH prices being about $500 or less new when they first came out. Now this part "We've also made several improvements to the product in that time. Better bracelet and clasp, rhodium-plated markers, tighter QC standards, and regulation to within 1/2 of the movement manufacturer's accuracy spec. That all increased our costs." explains a lot and I was not aware of it. It actually helps shift my thinking on this. I didn't intentionally post that to illicit a response, but I should have known there would be one, and in this case I am glad there was. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Well I have been well and truly warned off Invicta by WUS :)

I don't think that I will be in the market any time soon for a microband where I have to pay in advance before the watch is made. It just goes against the grain to have so much trust in a product that has not yet been made.

I also do not like the idea of being on a waiting list for a limited run or having to wait for the vendor to open the "window of opportunity" for me to make an order.

So not into buying any watches where I have to "jump through hoops" to make a purchase.

Related to this is that I do not want to pay extra for a limited edition from any brand. For me it really is not worth paying for the supposed exclusivity.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
Timex. Some months back they came out with a stupid 'magical' watch that appealed to the willfully ignorant, un/ill-educated, anti-science dolts. For a company to offer a product to the aforementioned, in defiance of all know and accepted science simply in the name of profit underscores their unworthiness of my money. Show me another watch company as crass as they and I'll put them on my (questionably principled) ignore list.

Edit - I originally stated it was Bulova, my bad.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Principle or taste/preference?

Principle:
Ginault. Timefactors (Smiths, Speedbird, Precista, etc.).

Taste/preference:
Chronographs. I really want to like them, but have no need and am scared off by the maintenance.

Moonphase, open heart, skeleton, no date.

Roman numeral indexes, mercedes hands, cyclops.

Anything over 40mm. With exceptions for larger watches with shorter L2L.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Rolex. If I spend more than I spent on my first car on a watch, theres no way that I would even consider choosing "the standard" of mid-tier mass produced luxury. Throw in the scramble to even find one and wrestle some deal with an AD, and I have absolutely zero interest (my interest in putting in effort to hunt down or secure a piece consists of hitting a button to send the money and then [annoyingly] having to spend a day at home to take delivery) If I'm dropping what would be considered an absurd amount (where I grew up) on a watch, I'd rather have people look at me and say "what the hell is he wearing?" Than immediately just think "oh he must be doing alright" [I know, people dont actually notice usually, and I dont do anything out of desire to have them notice... but then again I have had comments on some of my watches and I do like it). And as I dont intend to sell my watches, resale value is meaningless to me, and further contributes to my philosophical schism with the brand (ie the fact that so many people want them means that they are much too 'safe' of designs for my tastes)
.Oh yeah, and anything from the Swatch group, I don't want any of my money to go towards their lawyers.

1 - 20 of 396 Posts