1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello guys
yesterday i showed my dad this zenith
03.2010.681/01.c493

Amazon.com: Zenith Men's 03.2010.681/01.c493 Elite Ultra Thin Silver Sunray Dial Watch: Zenith: Watches

and he liked a lot and he said this a real watch cuz of its great classic desing
so i thought i can give one like that as a gift, but dude its more than 3k$, and im in highschool
so any one can suggest a watch like this one with the most important: a sub dial second hand and a very clean look face for under 100$, automatic or hand wind, it doesnt matter (no quartz pls)

ps: other features like date will be welcome,

·
Registered
486 Posts
The only sub-seconds mechanical I can think of in that price range is the old Pobeda movement from the Soviet Union.

Good news is that they made them for decades, so there's a huge selection of dials and cases to chose from, and most of them in your price range.

Bad news is that they're vintage, and like all vintage watches require special care and attention. Also, like many vintage watches, you won't find any in 42mm cases like that Zenith. Most are in the 33-35mm range - an average size for a mid-century men's wristwatch.

·
Banned
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thnx for all the replyes
i have a question
how good are pobeda and hmt's movements compared for exemple to seiko 5's movement ?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Getting it on sale. Jomashop had a similar piece for $1900 during a Christmas sale last year.

-hayday

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
thnx for all the replyes
i have a question
how good are pobeda and hmt's movements compared for exemple to seiko 5's movement ?
The other day someone posted "buying any mechanical under [something like] $100 is like playing Russian roulette". My mate has 3 hmts and at least one has broken. Cheaper to buy a new one than service. I'd personally choose a 5 instead, but I don't think they come in your required style. I know nothing of Russian movements I'm afraid.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
How about this Vostok? Not a small seconds, but it is an auto with similar markings.

Screen Shot 2014-07-19 at 10.29.32 AM.png

Round case is currently out of stock.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
you can find affordable swiss vintage watches under 100 $ without any problems. I have owned a bunch of vintage Doxas with similar design. If movement is serviced, they will last for years to come.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Not really similar styling I'm afraid, but for $120 you can get a Rodina with small seconds dial at the 6 o'clock position and an automatic movement. It's a bit of a forum favourite, and people generally seem very happy with them.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
The other day someone posted "buying any mechanical under [something like] $100 is like playing Russian roulette". My mate has 3 hmts and at least one has broken. Cheaper to buy a new one than service. I'd personally choose a 5 instead, but I don't think they come in your required style. I know nothing of Russian movements I'm afraid.
Meh, lots of Vostok watches are under $100 and they're pretty good.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Not really similar styling I'm afraid, but for $120 you can get a Rodina with small seconds dial at the 6 o'clock position and an automatic movement. It's a bit of a forum favourite, and people generally seem very happy with them.
That's what I was going to suggest. There's a whole thread devoted to the Rodina here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts