WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi wus masters, im Just curious if theres a current production all digital casio (not g-shock, protrek, etc) that has mineral glass instead of plastic resin :think:. Thanks my wusters

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Not sure if g-shocks ever had plexy crystal... DW-5000c has mineral glass and newer models also, apart from some higher end with sapphire. G-shocks in general have mineral glass, plexy would get damaged too easily.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure if g-shocks ever had plexy crystal... DW-5000c has mineral glass and newer models also, apart from some higher end with sapphire. G-shocks in general have mineral glass, plexy would get damaged too easily.
Lol you got my question mixed up master. Im asking if there are ordinary casio watches that have mineral glass ;)

·
Premium Member
13,982 Posts
AE-2000 the precursor to the AE-2100, SGW-100, and yes the DW-290(not a G but should be).

Why the interest? Do you think mineral is better than acrylic? Most likely, most on this forum will tell you acrylic is just as good. And in some cases better. They don't shatter and scratches can be polished out easily with Poly Watch.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Most likely, most on this forum will tell you acrylic is just as good. And in some cases better. They don't shatterand scratches can be polished out easily with Poly Watch.
Now I'm tempted to make a poll on the topic!

Acrylic crystals scratch MUCH more easily than mineral glass. Every watch I own with an acrylic crystal has hairline scratches in the crystal, I don't want to have to polish them out, and there's only so many times a crystal CAN be polished.

I've only shattered ONE glass crystal in my life -- I'm not even sure if it was mineral glass -- and that was when a springbar broke and the watch landed facedown on a hard tile floor.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AE-2000 the precursor to the AE-2100, SGW-100, and yes the DW-290(not a G but should be).

Why the interest? Do you think mineral is better than acrylic? Most likely, most on this forum will tell you acrylic is just as good. And in some cases better. They don't shatterand scratches can be polished out easily with Poly Watch.
i think mineral just have the essence of quality in them but its totally just my own opinion ;) thanks masters

anyway, i dont think i'll ever scratch any of my watches because either a) i dont wear them lol. Or b) those that i do wear, i put a protective film on the glass/plastic window the moment i take them out of the box for the first time (even on my lowly f-94w) :D

if there are ranks for being ocd, i think i would be supreme general or something XD

·
Premium Member
13,982 Posts
i think mineral just have the essence of quality in them but its totally just my own opinion ;) thanks masters

anyway, i dont think i'll ever scratch any of my watches because either a) i dont wear them lol. Or b) those that i do wear, i put a protective film on the glass/plastic window the moment i take them out of the box for the first time (even on my lowly f-94w) :D

if there are ranks for being ocd, i think i would be supreme general or something XD

To each their own. I'm not knocking your choice. I was just curious.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Mineral glass is more shock-resistant, but less scratch-resistant as the sapphire glass. The sapphire glass isn't so shock-resistant as mineral glass ( it is more easily crumbling ). Acrylic glass is weakest in every aspect...

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Mineral glass is more shock-resistant, but less scratch-resistant as the sapphire glass. The sapphire glass isn't so shock-resistant as mineral glass ( it is more easily crumbling ). Acrylic glass is weakest in every aspect...
My understanding is that acrylic is more impact resistant than mineral glass, not less.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Casio SGW100 has mineral glass.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the Casio SGW100 and can verify that it has a mineral glass crystal. It took a tremendous slam into a rock and shattered into thousands of pieces. It could have broke my wrist. So, yes, they have some that have glass. I agree with the OP that the glass gives a more quality feel and look to the watch. Whatever Casio is using for the mineral glass is very tough, and difficult to crack or break. I wonder if it is related to Gorilla glass for phones?

I have 2 Casio G-Shocks, the plastic Acrylic crystal 5600E and the glass crystal GW-M5610. They look similar, but my 5600E has several light scratches. The 5610 is newer, so no scratches.

VW

·
Premium Member
13,982 Posts
I had the Casio SGW100 and can verify that it has a mineral glass crystal. It took a tremendous slam into a rock and shattered into thousands of pieces. It could have broke my wrist. So, yes, they have some that have glass. I agree with the OP that the glass gives a more quality feel and look to the watch. Whatever Casio is using for the mineral glass is very tough, and difficult to crack or break. I wonder if it is related to Gorilla glass for phones?

I have 2 Casio G-Shocks, the plastic Acrylic crystal 5600E and the glass crystal GW-M5610. They look similar, but my 5600E has several light scratches. The 5610 is newer, so no scratches.

VW

All 5600 series G-Shocks have mineral crystal. None have Acrylic crystals.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts