WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent my GMT II Pepsi in to RSC and they are giving me the option to replace the crystal for $180.

Apparently there is a small scratch at the window right above the date. I didn't notice this and the AD didn't notice it either upon intake. RSC will not send me a picture so I am kind of wavering on the decision.

Is there any downside to having the original crystal replaced? I always feel that the less someone screws around with the watch the better.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Not on a sapphire crystal...there isn't value of "original" crystals like there are with the old acrylics on sport models. The ONLY thing I can think of is that there is an "issue" with modern crystals where the date magnification (ie. "cyclops") is lower...lots of threads on this topic over on TRF. So depending on how old your watch is, you may have one of the "original" ones only to find that the new crystal has a lower magnification. Super minor and a non-issue for most. Comparison pics below:

Newer cyclops:

Older cyclops:

Reactions: vincenzowl

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the watch in question. I didn't realize they had changed it...is that really true? Crap I am looking at my dads sub by comparison and you might be right.

Attachments

·
Registered
790 Posts
Not on a sapphire crystal...there isn't value of "original" crystals like there are with the old acrylics on sport models. The ONLY thing I can think of is that there is an "issue" with modern crystals where the date magnification (ie. "cyclops") is lower...lots of threads on this topic over on TRF. So depending on how old your watch is, you may have one of the "original" ones only to find that the new crystal has a lower magnification. Super minor and a non-issue for most. Comparison pics below:

Newer cyclops:

Older cyclops:

Based on this, if I had a watch like the original, I’d want to keep it like that. Who cares about a small scratch that you didn’t even notice until they brought it up?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
This is the watch in question. I didn't realize they had changed it...is that really true? Crap I am looking at my dads sub by comparison and you might be right.
Seems like you didn’t even notice so I’d say for now just keep it as-is!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I talked to Rolex Service and they said the magnification will remain the same however there will be a hologram in the crystal now...ugh. I wish they just had not said anything.

Okay say the crystal was free and the magnification was the same as the original but it now has a hologram, would you change it?

I am worried I am now going to see the scratch...though I typically have a very good eye. Rolex says the scratch was noticed under high magnification....

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I talked to Rolex Service and they said the magnification will remain the same however there will be a hologram in the crystal now...ugh. I wish they just had not said anything.

Okay say the crystal was free and the magnification was the same as the original but it now has a hologram, would you change it?

I am worried I am now going to see the scratch...though I typically have a very good eye. Rolex says the scratch was noticed under high magnification....
If the scratch is only seen "under high magnification", now it just becomes a matter of whether you want to spend the $180. If it was me, I wouldn't. ONLY to save the dollars because other than that, there is no difference to you. The "hologram" I believe is the laser-etched crown (LEC) which is also very hard to see unless you know it's there.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Did they say the hologram is in the cyclops? Or somewhere else on the crystal?

I’ve never heard of a hologram in the cyclops.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I definitely wouldn't, especially since you didn't see it. They said they saw it under heavy magnification, which means you won't. The hologram thing i wouldn't like either just because it didn't come with one, so your changing the overall appearance even though its hard to see it's not what came with the watch. If you get the watch back and it bothers you, then you can get it done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts