WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone ever see the show man vs. wild on the discovery channel. i saw it for the first time and noticed the guy on the show, bear grylls, wears a breitling emergency. this guy has some serious credentials too. given how much this guy has done, that says a lot about his high opinion of the breitling name. it's kinda like mike horn and panerai, but horn is sponsored by panerai. so, horn is paid to wear that brand, unlike grylls with breitling. don't get me wrong, i love panerai too. and, of course i'm a big mike horn fan as well, so much so that i own a panerai arktos watch. i saw some online chat where grylls was asked what he takes on trips and his response was:

"Always take my emergency watch, my Breitling, anything goes wrong I can pull the pin out, get help."

there's more about this guy here:

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/manvswild/bio/bio.html?clik=Man vs. Wild_leftnav

·
Pil-Mil, Breitling Forum Moderator
14,569 Posts
Hi, Hank. Here's a shot of Davey's "yellow fellow" E...

"Always take my emergency watch, my Breitling, anything goes wrong I can pull the pin out, get help."
which he always wears when he and Lou take a trip to the mall. :-D Good reasoning behind that of course. The AD provides better service when he sees Davey wearing this and Lou wearing his SA. (Or any of their B's for that matter. LOL) Davey's "E"...

Beautiful! :gold
Cheers,
Ron

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm not normally a fan of yellow, but that is some watch. not to mention you take one mean photo. i think i may have to stop by the ad tomorrow to look at the emergency's lol.

Always honoured when one of my pics appears.

I have a terrible tale to tell of the yellow E.....

Damage...

I feel an insurance claim coming on......

Nothing terminal except it just feels......broken

Sigh

D

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hey all, I found this thread after I found out what kind of watch Bear Grylls wears in "Man vs. Wild". I've been impressed by what he's put that watch through so far. I have a question though, in Breitlings website it states that the Emergency is only water resistant to 30m, which according to most watch makers is suitable for hand-washing and rain only and not for swimming. However, on more than one occasion bear has swam and done some pretty harsh stuff with his watch.

I know that the watch was designed primarily for pilots and not so much for rugged and extreme exploration. What are your opinions of this? Is Bear asking for trouble or does Breitling have a different standard for water resistency than other watch manufacturers? Your replies would be extremely helpful. Thanks!

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
9,154 Posts
No, I think you have a pretty good grasp of the situation tseely. However when Breitling says 30mtrs they mean 30 meters static pressure. Plunging a few feet deep in water isn't going to approach that level of pressure. However its the moving pressures exerted by ones arm moving through the water that might build up point pressures far exceeding the static pressure rating. The point is, which point on the watch is experiencing the point pressure due to the movement. If a vulnerable gasket is shielded then it may never experience moving fluid pressure sufficient to cause failure. That said ones luck could run out at any second of the time in the water. So in this case you pays your money and takes your chances which Bear seems to do with some relish.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hmmm. A terrible tale to tell? Let me tell you my tale of the Yellow Emergency.

Week before last after returning home, my 17-year old decides to wrestle. He grabs my wrist to throw me to the floor and I quickly escaped... but not before his fingers slipped over the antenna cap and activated the watch. Do you know the feeling of dread I had? racing heart and sweating profusely as I realized what he did.

In case this ever happens to anyone else, this is what I did -

1. Cut the antenna at the watch (per Ops. manual)
2. Find a suitable container that will not allow stray signals, (I placed the watch in a steel hand safe that I keep my Glock in).
3. Make sure the signal is contained - Use the transmitter tester. When I stowed the watch and closed the door, no signal.
4. Call ATC and pray to God that they don't think you're some kind of loser. (Thankfully the signal was not picked up....)
5. Wait to you tell your wife. She will be really happy when the bill comes to replace the antenna, transmitter battery, etc.
6. Call BUSA and explain that it really was not your fault....

Still waiting word from BUSA. They said they can fix it. Depending on the cost, my son's Christmas may be cancelled. Has this happened to anyone else???

·
Registered
8,242 Posts
Hmmm. A terrible tale to tell? Let me tell you my tale of the Yellow Emergency.

Week before last after returning home, my 17-year old decides to wrestle. He grabs my wrist to throw me to the floor and I quickly escaped... but not before his fingers slipped over the antenna cap and activated the watch. Do you know the feeling of dread I had? racing heart and sweating profusely as I realized what he did.

In case this ever happens to anyone else, this is what I did -

1. Cut the antenna at the watch (per Ops. manual)
2. Find a suitable container that will not allow stray signals, (I placed the watch in a steel hand safe that I keep my Glock in).
3. Make sure the signal is contained - Use the transmitter tester. When I stowed the watch and closed the door, no signal.
4. Call ATC and pray to God that they don't think you're some kind of loser. (Thankfully the signal was not picked up....)
5. Wait to you tell your wife. She will be really happy when the bill comes to replace the antenna, transmitter battery, etc.
6. Call BUSA and explain that it really was not your fault....

Still waiting word from BUSA. They said they can fix it. Depending on the cost, my son's Christmas may be cancelled. Has this happened to anyone else???
WOW! Let us know what happens. This is interesting. I wouldn't have thought the screw out antenna would have been able to make that many turns but I guess you can't tell.

Todd

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
9,154 Posts
Hello WhirlyBob,

Welcome to our forum.

I don't think we have heard of the exact mishap befalling one of our members on this board. A couple of months back it was reported that someone in a bar messed with a friends E and set off the signal. Not a happy camper!!

I reckon cutting the antenna was a drastic move but as its mentioned in the manual it will certainly do the job of stopping the signal and perhaps damaging the transmitter in the process. The more I've thought about what would be needed to contain the signal the more I've come to the conclusion that a few layers of tin foil (like a meter)wrapped a bunch of times around around the whole watch and popping the lot in a Stainless Steel cooking pot with a tight fitting lid would be fairly effective in containing the radiation from the transmitter. Then you only have about 3 days to sit out the battery. In that time you could have tested for signal leak and then transported the whole package down to an AD for attention. But HEY, 20 20 hind sight is great :) and when the adrenalin is pumping its not easy to think things through. Please post back here and let us know what final out come is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
WOW! Let us know what happens. This is interesting. I wouldn't have thought the screw out antenna would have been able to make that many turns but I guess you can't tell.

Todd
I can tell you this - It only took a fraction of a turn to activate it. When my wife purchased the watch, a very careful inspection of it showed a safety wire. Once it was broken it activated it.

Snap - I asked about the transmitter/antenna assembly and the tech told me that they have replacement antennas. I also told him what I did. Lets hope the transmitter is not directly attached. I can tell you that I was able to remove the antenna from the cap with a few turns of the cap while holding the antenna

Cheers everyone

·
Registered
8,242 Posts
I can tell you this - It only took a fraction of a turn to activate it. When my wife purchased the watch, a very careful inspection of it showed a safety wire. Once it was broken it activated it.

Snap - I asked about the transmitter/antenna assembly and the tech told me that they have replacement antennas. I also told him what I did. Lets hope the transmitter is not directly attached. I can tell you that I was able to remove the antenna from the cap with a few turns of the cap while holding the antenna

Cheers everyone
Quite interesting. I am now the inventor of the double cap antenna. You have to unscrew the safety cap and then unscrew the antenna to activate it. This is a multi-million dollar idea. I am sure of it. And I will remember everyone when I am rich.

Todd

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Great post, shame about the circumstances, all i hope is that BUSA dont send it back to you with a compass replacement LOL..

Seriously, i hope you dont get a whack of a bill.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts