WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
You gotta love Casio's no-nonsense approach and value for money. I used to love watches like this when I was not yet a WIS, but for me, G-Shock was a game changer and I was completely won over by all the functional advantages for not very much money in absolute terms. I'd totally wear a Forester even today though if I found myself in a place without watch and someone had one to lend me.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Never had one, probably never will, but looks cool though. I think gshock wins me over with it being more functional in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I haven't got one but I do keep toying with the idea of getting one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You gotta love Casio's no-nonsense approach and value for money. I used to love watches like this when I was not yet a WIS, but for me, G-Shock was a game changer and I was completely won over by all the functional advantages for not very much money in absolute terms. I'd totally wear a Forester even today though if I found myself in a place without watch and someone had one to lend me.
I have one G-Shock (5600) and that's enough for me. I really don't get the attraction of the really huge watches. I get more enjoyment out of their World Time watches, Wave Ceptors, Timex Expedition or Ironman etc. LOL, I had to look up "WIS" ... I guess that's me, sadly.

·
Registered
613 Posts
You're not a WIS (yet) if your one 5600 is not a gateway to having 5, 15 etc.

I had an Expedition ana-digi at one time but was disappointed to learn that it was base metal not stainless steel, kind of turned me off Timex to be honest.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My son bought one for me, a few years ago, as a birthday gift, when he was in his early teens. Paid for out of his own pocket money, so it's precious beyond words to me. I don't wear it often, but it sits on my desk every day. Today, prompted by this thread, it's getting some overdue wrist time:

DSC_0353.JPG

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
8,389 Posts
I have black forester like OP posted and analog digital. Generally i don't get this line because it kind off don't get you much in terms of durability just some design things. Some do get you analog with EL but that like any original Timex. In many cases Casio velcro is less comfortable compared to Timex. Bottom line nice affordable but don't really strike material.

·
Registered
9,497 Posts
I'm assuming this is done in cooperation with Subaru?

Nice looking but being a fan I'm not sure about.

·
Premium Member
36,105 Posts
Don’t have one, but it looks good to me.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I liked all of the various models. I've seen a newer version of the all-black model with a more energy-saving light, like in the 10 year models. I consider that a big improvement.

Also, the all-black model is the BEST all-black analog watch that I like. Plastic. Steel, I don't care. It's the only one for me. I even like it more than the original black Swatch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I had an Expedition ana-digi at one time but was disappointed to learn that it was base metal not stainless steel, kind of turned me off Timex to be honest.
I have a load of watches (might be over 40, not even sure), but just one G-Shock. I'm addicted to watches, just not G-Shocks ... not yet, anyway. LOL.

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
8,389 Posts

You will be really hard pressed to find full stainless in sub 100$ watch. Casio duro also has only stainless back. Despite common misconception of it been full stainless.

·
Registered
613 Posts
You will be really hard pressed to find full stainless in sub 100$ watch. Casio duro also has only stainless back. Despite common misconception of it been full stainless.
I didn't know about the Duro, and it does indeed surprise me. I guess the misconception must stem from the fact that the caseback states "Stainless steel" when it should be "Stainless steel back" if what you're saying is correct.

Anyway, I replaced the Expedition with a Casio AMW-320R, which I believe to be all stainless steel, but I might be wrong. I'm happy with it except it's a real battery hog (consistently less than two years, and I'm not big on alarms at all).

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'm not sure why it was stated that the MDV-106 did not have a stainless case; I've not seen that anywhere, including Casio's own website and every review I've seen. If you do a very careful examination of the case, using a loupe, you won't find any evidence of plating, not even inside the strap pin holes. One of my three 106's has been around a bit, showing wear on the edges of the case and in the pin holes, and there's nothing but stainless steel. The Duro line emphasizes water resistance (even the harder to find chronograph has 200M WR) and none of the models I've seen have anything but full stainless cases.

I didn't know about the Duro, and it does indeed surprise me. I guess the misconception must stem from the fact that the caseback states "Stainless steel" when it should be "Stainless steel back" if what you're saying is correct.

Anyway, I replaced the Expedition with a Casio AMW-320R, which I believe to be all stainless steel, but I might be wrong. I'm happy with it except it's a real battery hog (consistently less than two years, and I'm not big on alarms at all).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts